Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 03:32 PM

83 posts, read 68,090 times

Advertisements

My cat, who is approximately 15 years old, has lost some weight over the last five months. She has gone from ten pounds to six pounds. She weighed 10 pounds her whole life up until these past few months.

She vomits a few times a week and sometimes she just does a dry gag and doesn’t actually vomit.

She has been drinking water like crazy. She never drank that much. Also she’s been losing hair on her belly.

I am looking for answers from people who have had a cat with kidney disease. I am currently unemployed and cannot afford huge vet bills.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 04:21 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Sounds like at least vet trip needed asap. I'd call around to find an affordable & caring vet, & tell them you're worried re these changes. Many things can cause the symptoms but a vet needs eval her asap, if you can find a way.

Best wishes & maybe ppl can chime in here.

Also, a GoFundMe may be possible if you can try it for her vet bills.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:47 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Kidney failure, diabetes, who knows?

I agree that a vet visit is needed. You could skip expensive tests and perhaps help her get to the rainbow bridge.

Good luck, OP.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:03 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Your animal needs medical attention! This is nothing for a forum diagnosis. Your vet will work with you!

Old 01-27-2021, 06:19 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
At her age, it could be hyperthyroidism, diabetes, kidney failure, or a combination of these. Do you have any animal shelters with a low-cost clinic? Call around and ask about options, because your kitty needs medical help. Or, as gus suggested, if that's not possible, she needs a peaceful passing. :-(

Old 02-01-2021, 12:50 PM

56 posts, read 30,297 times
I agree your cat needs immediate veterinary attention. See if your local animal shelter has low-cost if not free services available. My cat had ongoing kidney failure and had lost a lot of weight in just a couple of months. In her last 24 hours on this earth her kidneys shut down completely and it broke my heart to see her so miserable. Please don't let your cat suffer.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:53 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz64 View Post
I agree your cat needs immediate veterinary attention. See if your local animal shelter has low-cost if not free services available. My cat had ongoing kidney failure and had lost a lot of weight in just a couple of months. In her last 24 hours on this earth her kidneys shut down completely and it broke my heart to see her so miserable. Please don't let your cat suffer.
Did you seek veterinary care and, if so, what was the vet able to do for your cat? As I understand it, there's nothing that CAN be done for chronic kidney failure other than what can be done at home by the owner (discontinue dry food, feed a lower-protein wet food and add water to it to increase hydration).

Old 02-15-2021, 12:10 PM

56 posts, read 30,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Did you seek veterinary care and, if so, what was the vet able to do for your cat? As I understand it, there's nothing that CAN be done for chronic kidney failure other than what can be done at home by the owner (discontinue dry food, feed a lower-protein wet food and add water to it to increase hydration).
Midnight was lethargic, dehydrated and having accidents, and her pee was basically water. Unfortunately it was too late for her when she got to that point, so she had to be put to sleep.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:35 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
I had a cat with kidney disease, he has since passed.

Those are symptoms of kidney disease and other things as well. The cat needs to go to the vet. Find one that offers Care Credit, go find a local cat community group on Facebook and start a donation/funding thing, seek out rescues and pet charities that offer to cover costs, etc. There are numerous ways to get funding for the vet expenses.

But all in all, yes, these are symptoms of kidney disease. There are four stages of it. It might not be too late to get treatment for your cat, but once it hits stage four, it is generally too late and it goes down hill quickly from there. Stage four usually looks like they are drinking, eating some, but generally sick, lethargic.

Intervention at the beginning of kidney disease is essential.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I had a cat with kidney disease, he has since passed.

Those are symptoms of kidney disease and other things as well. The cat needs to go to the vet. Find one that offers Care Credit, go find a local cat community group on Facebook and start a donation/funding thing, seek out rescues and pet charities that offer to cover costs, etc. There are numerous ways to get funding for the vet expenses.

But all in all, yes, these are symptoms of kidney disease. There are four stages of it. It might not be too late to get treatment for your cat, but once it hits stage four, it is generally too late and it goes down hill quickly from there. Stage four usually looks like they are drinking, eating some, but generally sick, lethargic.

Intervention at the beginning of kidney disease is essential.
Again, what can be done other than what I listed above (sub Q fluids at home could be added)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats