Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 10:33 AM

89 posts, read 47,460 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a 12 year old neutered male indoor cat that has started spraying on vertical hard surfaces occasionally. He just did it front of me right under the Feliway diffuser.
I made a vet appointment for an all over checkup for Tuesday. He has two litter boxes (he’s the only cat/pet in our home) that are cleaned daily as always.
Any ideas on why he’s doing this or how to stop it?

He has had a urinary problem years ago when I briefly switched him to Blue Buffalo dry food but he’s gotten wet food with water added for years now with no urinary problems at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 01:04 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Might be a strange cat outside he's been seeing that is upsetting him. The vet is a good idea. At his age I'd ask for a senior blood panel (Including thyroid) and a urinalysis.

Why do you have a feliway diffuser? I'd get rid of that too.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Might be a strange cat outside he's been seeing that is upsetting him. The vet is a good idea. At his age I'd ask for a senior blood panel (Including thyroid) and a urinalysis.

Why do you have a feliway diffuser? I'd get rid of that too.
I got the diffuser because I’d heard it would help with peeing outside the litter box. Is this not true?
We did tell them we wanted a through exam and senior blood panel. He has some lipomas or what we assume are lipomas I want to have checked as well.

We HAVE had squirrels and raccoons on our back porch recently....could this be upsetting him?

We love this cat dearly but cats are still a bit of a mystery to us. Dogs and horses we know. Cats not so much.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:13 PM

You started the feliway after the spraying started? Well ti's not likely to be the cause then, but could make things worse. I just don't have a lot of faith in those any more. Back years ago it was a very good product. Something changed a number of years ago. If he sprayed next to it, I'd get rid of it.

Is he sprayng AND peeing outside the box? There's a difference.

The squirrels or raccoons might be an issue for him, but I would suspect another cat.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:08 PM

No, just spraying. A couple of weeks ago he pooped twice outside the box. But only one day.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellzapoppin View Post
No, just spraying. A couple of weeks ago he pooped twice outside the box. But only one day.

Where? That, also, could be marking, if no other health issues are apparent. Hmm..start keeping an eye out outside. And a nose, start paying attention outside to see if you smell cat pee.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Where? That, also, could be marking, if no other health issues are apparent. Hmm..start keeping an eye out outside. And a nose, start paying attention outside to see if you smell cat pee.
On the living room rug. Will report back after vet visit next week.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:41 PM

Got all of his urine and blood work back and he is in great health. A little overweight but nothing worrisome. He did find some questionable cells in the ursine that might indicate an infection so we put him on clavamox twice a day.
As far as we know (and we’ve been looking) he hasn’t sprayed again. (Knocking wood).

Old 02-27-2021, 07:19 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellzapoppin View Post
Got all of his urine and blood work back and he is in great health. A little overweight but nothing worrisome. He did find some questionable cells in the ursine that might indicate an infection so we put him on clavamox twice a day.
As far as we know (and we’ve been looking) he hasn’t sprayed again. (Knocking wood).
Hope that does the trick, and that the infection was the cause.

Weird that you mentioned Blue Buffalo - I'm almost positive that Blue Buffalo kibble were at least part of the reason for my male cat's (RIP) crystals. He started trying to spray - that's how I knew something was wrong, because he'd never done that before. He came into room one morning, sprayed the chair I was sitting in, hopped into my lap and meowed in my face.

Fluids and antibiotics fixed him right up; a switch to wet food and prescription kibble (I know a lot of people think kibble is unhealthy, but it worked for my cat) prevented a recurrence.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Hope that does the trick, and that the infection was the cause.

Weird that you mentioned Blue Buffalo - I'm almost positive that Blue Buffalo kibble were at least part of the reason for my male cat's (RIP) crystals. He started trying to spray - that's how I knew something was wrong, because he'd never done that before. He came into room one morning, sprayed the chair I was sitting in, hopped into my lap and meowed in my face.

Fluids and antibiotics fixed him right up; a switch to wet food and prescription kibble (I know a lot of people think kibble is unhealthy, but it worked for my cat) prevented a recurrence.
Our feline vet said they’ve had more urinary problems with cats switched to Blue Buffalo kibble than anything else.
George gets wet food now (with a little extra warm water mixed in) and a tiny bit of Hills prescription dry kibble on top to keep him happy.
We are hoping it fixes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats