Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 12:49 PM

289 posts, read 450,552 times

Advertisements

I've had Ruthie for about a month and a half, and she's about a yr and a half. Sweetest little girl. First night home she kept me up all night moving around in my bed, jumping on me, and I couldn't tolerate it. So, I have since been closing my door at night and she sleeps in the second bedroom or anywhere else she pleases, and it's been working out fine, so far.

Two days ago my bed was wet in a few different spots, and I figured it was just a one-off thing. Today, while folding laundry in my room, she sat on my bed and peed. I'm going to take her to the vet as soon as I can get her in, but I feel like this is more of a 'personal' act towards me. Please do not be mean or say rude things. I love her to death and am looking for some helpful advice/insight on how to curb this.

She uses her litterbox normally, or so I thought.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 01:13 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
I've had Ruthie for about a month and a half, and she's about a yr and a half. Sweetest little girl. First night home she kept me up all night moving around in my bed, jumping on me, and I couldn't tolerate it. So, I have since been closing my door at night and she sleeps in the second bedroom or anywhere else she pleases, and it's been working out fine, so far.

Two days ago my bed was wet in a few different spots, and I figured it was just a one-off thing. Today, while folding laundry in my room, she sat on my bed and peed. I'm going to take her to the vet as soon as I can get her in, but I feel like this is more of a 'personal' act towards me. Please do not be mean or say rude things. I love her to death and am looking for some helpful advice/insight on how to curb this.

She uses her litterbox normally, or so I thought.

Thanks in advance.

No. Cats don't do things out of spite. She is trying to communicate something with you, she has a problem. Human has to figure out what the problem is.

Be sure the litter boxes are kept clean, have two boxes and scoop all pee and poop out at least once a day.

In this case, probably a urinary tract issue. If you found "several spots" all in one day, this most definitely points to urinary tract disorder, either infection or inflammation or both. The discomfort makes them feel like they have to go all the time so they keep trying to pee. Peeing on your bed is soft, and will get your attention. That's why she's doing it.

Please don't delay the vet. These issues get worse if left, and she is probably in a lot of discomfort if not in outright pain.

Feed her a low carb wet diet only. No kibble. But please, get her to the vet first thing.

Incidentally stress can cause urinary tract issues in cats. A new home causes stress.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:32 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Something is off with her UT and she needs to see a vet asap.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:41 PM

Thank you both. I truly appreciate your feedback. And after googling some, it does seem more like a UTI or something related. Waiting for the vet to call me back to schedule her.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:45 PM

I’m at the 24 hour vet now since Banfield (PetSmart) is booked until JULY!

Will keep you posted.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:19 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
I’m at the 24 hour vet now since Banfield (PetSmart) is booked until JULY!

Will keep you posted.
Thank you!!!!

Old 06-20-2021, 07:17 PM

So she’s completely healthy. No bacteria in her urine. Vet said it’s behavioral. I truly do not know how to deal with this. I’m literally sick to my stomach over this and very sad.
But just so I don’t sound like a total a-hole, please know I’m so thankful she’s not sick.

Last edited by box*of*rain; 06-20-2021 at 07:57 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 04:11 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
So she’s completely healthy. No bacteria in her urine. Vet said it’s behavioral. I truly do not know how to deal with this. I’m literally sick to my stomach over this and very sad.
But just so I don’t sound like a total a-hole, please know I’m so thankful she’s not sick.

Well done getting her seen so quickly!

I understand. But just because there's no bacteria does not make this "behavioral". Stress induced cystitis is a very real physical health issue in cats and far more common than bacterial infection.

So here is what you can do. First, ensure she is on a bladder healthy diet. This means no kibble. None. No dry at all. Feed low carb wet diet only. It is extremely important that she gets a high volume of water each day, and that means a wet diet.

Low carb is important too. Carbohydrates contribute to this problem in a couple of ways. First, they raise the pH in the digestive tract and in the urinary tract. A cat is meant to have an acidic system. Urine needs to be kept acidic, as does the digestive system. This means little to no carbohydrates in the diet. And carbs are inflammatory.

Feed wet meals three times a day. Even add a little water to them if she'll tolerate it. Pates, generally speaking are lowest in carbs, but you can learn to read the labels and avoid foods with grains, and added sugars, and too many fruits and veg and legumes, to keep carbs down.

Keep stress at a minimum. Stick to a routine in all things. Play with her at the same times each day. Feed at the same times. You might keep some Bach's Rescue Remedy (for pets) handy for stressful events, like fireworks, company coming, a day you have to be out of the house longer than usual. I've heard of using Zyklene too, this is a supplement that takes time to build up in the cat's system, and then is used consistently for a few weeks or longer. I've never used it though, just read a lot of good things about it.

At least two litter boxes, and you might even try to find room for a third. Keep them scrupulously clean.

D-mannose. D-mannose helps with bladder discomfort a lot. I use it for myself and one of my cats. I would put her on a two week course of this supplement now. Just a tiny amount mixed into one of her wet meals once a day. About 1/8 teaspoon. After the two weeks are up you might keep her on a pulse method for a while longer, (one week on, three weeks off, one week on, three weeks off) and after that just use as needed.

Here is what Dr Pierson, of www.catinfo.org has to say about urinary tract issues in cats.

https://catinfo.org/feline-urinary-tract-diseases/

Old 06-21-2021, 06:01 AM

Thank you for the additional info, catsmom21. Will look into everything you’ve mentioned.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:44 AM

81 posts, read 37,202 times
No bacteria just means there's nothing obvious in the urine itself. Was there a blood analysis? Maybe X-rays? You can get into some real money with ultrasound, but that's how they finally found out one of our cats had bladder cancer.

He was going through the same type of issues, but peed in the jacuzzi and on the mat at the kitchen door rather than the bed. Completely abandoned his litter box except to poop...occasionally

We started asking the vet more probing questions when we saw traces of very light pink in his urine (we put down pee pads at the kitchen door), that led to ultrasound when all else turned up negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats