Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 05:02 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
You're doing the right thing. If it gets real hard find an earlier appointment. We're with you! Been through it like 7 times in my life. It's going to get better.
Thanks all. I do feel my mind is made up. I quit my vet. I made an appointment with another vet at 4:00 PM two weeks ago on a Friday, and at 4:15 pm, my vet set me an e-mail saying she would send the records right over. She couldn't wait to get rid of me. I think frankly, she doesn't like putting pets down.. and was trying to get rid of me. She stubbornly kept saying that throwing up alone wasn't enough to pursue putting the cat down.

I am keeping myself distracted by thinking about the aftermath.

I am feeling like I need to take a break from pets. I have had a pet constantly since I moved out of my parents house and maybe I went to long on this one because I didn't want to give that companionship up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 09:20 AM

My cat is with god.

I cried a little and I am sure I will the rest of the day. I feel, heart stick.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:32 AM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
My cat is with god.

I cried a little and I am sure I will the rest of the day. I feel, heart stick.
So sorry, so sorry. We love our kitties.
Loving so much has its eventual downside...hurting so much. There is no way around that.

Thus is life on earth. Some of us are fortunate enough to be capable of giving and receiving great love. And so we are guaranteed eventual great grief. I wouldn't trade my wife's love, or the love of all of my or our pets, for having a hollow life without those friendships and emotions.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Alfred Lord Tennyson

Old 05-13-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
So sorry, so sorry. We love our kitties.
Loving so much has its eventual downside...hurting so much. There is no way around that.

Thus is life on earth. Some of us are fortunate enough to be capable of giving and receiving great love. And so we are guaranteed eventual great grief. I wouldn't trade my wife's love, or the love of all of my or our pets, for having a hollow life without those friendships and emotions.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Alfred Lord Tennyson
Thanks, right now I am debating having a mandatory 1 year break from any pet. This pet I got 16 years ago mere months after I had to put the prior cat down.

At that time I thought I would give it a year but eventually decided I really wanted a cat.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:51 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
It took a year before we were ready to open our heat to a new kitten but I discovered that I probably needed another year. Our now 1 yr old is very nice but I don't feel the same way about her that I did the other. Don't rush into anything right now.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
It took a year before we were ready to open our heat to a new kitten but I discovered that I probably needed another year. Our now 1 yr old is very nice but I don't feel the same way about her that I did the other. Don't rush into anything right now.
Yes... I have been putting off a trip to Europe until I didn't have to worry about a pet, and I have even considered getting another job and moving to another state. My home needs a paint job and some fixes (rugs needs to be cleaned from all the throwing up) and I want to experience a storm season and a winter without having to worry about the pets in case of disaster.

I also might consider volunteering at a pet shelter / taking in a foster.

I have to be more picky on whatever I get. I feel my last two cats were not socialized properly and thus were terrified of everything. I am too easily swayed when I see a cute face.

But I do kind of wish I had a cat because I am able to telework now and and that might be a much better way to raise a cat than with my last two, where I had to leave soon after getting them.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:57 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Thanks, right now I am debating having a mandatory 1 year break from any pet. This pet I got 16 years ago mere months after I had to put the prior cat down.

At that time I thought I would give it a year but eventually decided I really wanted a cat.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes... I have been putting off a trip to Europe until I didn't have to worry about a pet, and I have even considered getting another job and moving to another state. My home needs a paint job and some fixes (rugs needs to be cleaned from all the throwing up) and I want to experience a storm season and a winter without having to worry about the pets in case of disaster.

I also might consider volunteering at a pet shelter / taking in a foster.

I have to be more picky on whatever I get. I feel my last two cats were not socialized properly and thus were terrified of everything. I am too easily swayed when I see a cute face.

But I do kind of wish I had a cat because I am able to telework now and and that might be a much better way to raise a cat than with my last two, where I had to leave soon after getting them.
Whatever works. I understand waiting, I understand wanting.

When our last kitty, Bizzie, the last of a pretty cheery threesome of one lab retriever and a once-very-shy cat and once-manic cat, my wonderful wife and I debated. Wait? Or provide a home to someone who needed one. Bizzie died December 20, 2015. She had kidney failure, she was in misery and horribly weak. We had to vet administer the sleeping drugs. It was a very sad day.

And we talked and talked and decided to go search for someone in a shelter who needed a home. So Valentine's Day 2016 we brought Molly and River home. It's funny, their personalities were very close to Bizzie and Shelly's. One assertive, one very shy.

They were elders, around 13, when we adopted them. Both way down the list of likely adoptions. Molly had a runny eye issue. River hid and slept all the time. They're both in good health today at nearly 19. I'm so glad we adopted them.

But some people will want a break. And I've thought, with my wife gone, and should I outlive our four insiders and not having brought anyone new in (ha! that's unlikely!), would I want to adopt again? Or foster? Or volunteer at a cat shelter?

I know one thing. I don't want a life without cats. They are a great comfort and great companions.

My big problem is figuring out who could and would take care of however many of our five outsiders and four insiders remain, should I predecease some or all of them.

When we adopted River and Molly, there were a dozen cats in the shelter, newly arrived. Their mom and pop had been killed in a car wreck. Sudden, unforeseen death. A dozen orfins.

So I guess we each have our own answer to this question, another cat or two or three, or take a break? Or find a great catsitter? There are worse problems to have.

I just know I'm a sucker for a cute face, who has pointy ears and long whiskers.

Old 05-14-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I just know I'm a sucker for a cute face, who has pointy ears and long whiskers.
Thanks.

I have been bad at picking cats in my adult life. When I was a teen my sister brought home a cat that I just loved. That cat "had it" she was good at the vet and was very loving at home. Winning over my mother who insisted we would have to send the cat back (but caved within days). The cat was a tabby.

As an adult though I had two cats.. both tuxes.

Both were terrified of the world and the vet. This behavior didn't show up until after puberty. And both were not "affectionate". I mean they purred and were happy when I played with them or gave food, but they didn't jump on my lap or want to sleep with me.

Is it because they were a tuxes (everyone I know with them has reported the same things) or because I live alone and they were alone. I am also not sure I got both too early. I have no idea how old they really were but I wonder if they were properly socialized. My first cat had the luxury of a full household with parents and sisters and friends that came over... so did that make her naturally less afraid of humans?

At the very least if I get another cat I wlll be training him to leave the house with my on a leash.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:29 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Cats prefer the company of other cats so they interact more with each other. Our tabby's behavior changed when the new one came home, her only use for us now is for food, water, and litter box cleaning. Together they play and chase each other around first thing in the morning and then flop on the bed for a nap after breakfast.

They do have us well trained.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:

They do have us well trained.
I guess.

I am also debating getting two cats. My sister has two cats (same litter) and they do seem very content and not afraid of their own shadow. I wonder if just having one cat makes them anxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats