Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 02:51 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times

Advertisements

On Friday a furry cat ( well poised) gleened in at my patio porch. ( Cute tuxedo cat). Not scraggly or mean tempered. Rather docile.
Thinking it belonged to a neighbor , I knocked on doors . Taking along a picture of the animal sitting on my porch..
No one claimed it.
Filed a report with our local SPCA, in case it's owner was seeking it's where abouts.
Placed an ad thru a local pet finder support group. All this group does is get the word out. They don't really give advice or offer solutions.
Sat water outside for it.
Called the SPCA on Monday. The 24 emergency service said : sounds like the cat is not in jeopardy. Call during operation hours. So Tuesday, I called.
Was basically ' schooled' in what they DO NOT do and What I should be doing.
They don't take in abandoned cats. They encourage them to wander freely since they adapt to the area. They DO suggest I capture the cat, bring it in for a microchip scan and if need be get neutered. They charge $200 ( which I don't have). They expect that I continue to give it water and food. ( Basically be it's community owner????). I live in a condo. No pets allowed in my particular unit. I adore this little gem of a fur ball yet know that I am by no means capable of being a responsible pet owner.
Had three scammers call saying it was their pet ...turns out after I called the SPCA , that those phone #'s were on a ban list as the folks use these lost/ abandon pets in illegal dog fights...
Okay now that I spewed all that.
I need to know if anyone has recommendations for a pet group that can help this critter find a home. It's genuinely a genteel cat. Not skittish or feral. The SPCA is of zero help for felines...
My co workers and church group declined taking in a cat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 02:56 PM

24,574 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Do you have any rescue or foster groups in your area?

Old 05-18-2022, 02:57 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Do you have any "no-kill" shelters in your area?

Old 05-18-2022, 03:00 PM

14,487 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Search on facebook for community chat groups or pet related lost and found or rescue groups.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:17 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
You're in a fix, OP. I'm just going on the one shelter I've visited nearby, but from what I've read they're all full. It's kitten season, people want to adopt kittens. We always preferred older cats. There's a waiting list at the shelter we adopted River and Molly from six years ago.

Do you have any friends who might want a yard cat? We were minding our own business when in the spring of 2017 a lone, pretty tabby adopted our back yard for her afternoon naps. Of course we started feeding her. Then three kittens appeared in August. A couple of males. Eventually we had seven in our Outsiders group.

So...shelters are full. So I hear. This sounds like a sweet cat. Move somewhere where you can take her with you!

Old 05-18-2022, 03:23 PM

4,942 posts, read 3,316,689 times
Ask at https://reddit.com/r/cats maybe someone there can help.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:41 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Call local vets and ask to bring the cat in to have him scanned for a chip. You want to call the local vets anyway to ask if anyone has reported losing their cat. People who let their cats out sometimes don't even notice for days that their cat is missing so you want to leave the info with every vet, but if he has a chip this will be much more effective.

I think someone else has already suggested local on line searching. There are many sites, and data bases for this sort of thing now. But yeah, you do have to be careful about the creeps and evils.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:49 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,739 times
If its a nice cat, and you advertise it enough, someone will take him/her?

If you take it to a no-kill shelter, they will find it a home....

Is your condo on First Floor?

Don't kid your-self, there are people in Condo's with 'no-pet' rules and they still have a pet.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:56 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Call local vets and ask to bring the cat in to have him scanned for a chip. You want to call the local vets anyway to ask if anyone has reported losing their cat. People who let their cats out sometimes don't even notice for days that their cat is missing so you want to leave the info with every vet, but if he has a chip this will be much more effective.

I think someone else has already suggested local on line searching. There are many sites, and data bases for this sort of thing now. But yeah, you do have to be careful about the creeps and evils.
You can also buy a chip reader. I have one. You probably still have to go through a vet to find the owner though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
If its a nice cat, and you advertise it enough, someone will take him/her?

If you take it to a no-kill shelter, they will find it a home....

Is your condo on First Floor?

Don't kid your-self, there are people in Condo's with 'no-pet' rules and they still have a pet.
I wouldn't advertise. Probably a lot of creeps out there who just want a toy for their rottweiler.

Hopefully all your shelters aren't backlogged. One of our locals has 150 cats, they move 30-50 a week I was told, they still have a waiting list.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:08 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Thank you to each that gave some positive resources to consider.
As of this morning, the cat continues to visit various residence for nourishment.

The nearest no kill shelter is a 50 minute drive.

No nibbles yet for our local animal outreach forum. Hopefully in the next week . The moderator for that group did encourage getting it to a vet. Sent a list of local animal care centers that will scan for microchip and give a reduce cost for shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats