Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 11:54 AM

20 posts, read 11,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
You might have your vet get her a prescription for liquid Gabapentin the catsitter can just squirt into her mouth a couple times a day. This would mellow her out considerably. You could just do that while you are away (since that is traumatizing for her at this point).
I just asked her today for this and she is calling it in to the pharmacy. I've had the quick dissolving gaba pills and tiny as they are, it's been a struggle to get Pumpkin to take it and not spit it out. Squirting it into her mouth may be easier. It really works to stop the yowling and keep her from being so restless, calming...but not so much that she can't still jump on my bed and will play. I still don't know if the cat sitter will be able to get close enough to her to give this. I'm going to try to put it in her wet food to see if she'll eat it. Thank you for your posts! I think Pumpkin is still doing OK for now, but am aware she may be starting to wind down. I won't let her suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 12:28 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zencorinne View Post
I just asked her today for this and she is calling it in to the pharmacy. I've had the quick dissolving gaba pills and tiny as they are, it's been a struggle to get Pumpkin to take it and not spit it out. Squirting it into her mouth may be easier. It really works to stop the yowling and keep her from being so restless, calming...but not so much that she can't still jump on my bed and will play. I still don't know if the cat sitter will be able to get close enough to her to give this. I'm going to try to put it in her wet food to see if she'll eat it. Thank you for your posts! I think Pumpkin is still doing OK for now, but am aware she may be starting to wind down. I won't let her suffer.

Yeah, I did not want Bunny to suffer so I decided to keep her comfortable in her waning years. I did not like to see her pulling half her fur out and drag her legs behind her limping and unable to move around. The liquid MSM Glucosamine and the Gabapentin have been lifesavers.

A friend of mine puts the liquid Gaba on the top of her cat's paws and the cat licks it off.

Well, at least the pet sitter will try. It's temporary.

Old 05-30-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yeah, I did not want Bunny to suffer so I decided to keep her comfortable in her waning years. I did not like to see her pulling half her fur out and drag her legs behind her limping and unable to move around. The liquid MSM Glucosamine and the Gabapentin have been lifesavers.

A friend of mine puts the liquid Gaba on the top of her cat's paws and the cat licks it off.

Well, at least the pet sitter will try. It's temporary.
Wile, that's a great idea about putting it on her paws. More than one way to skin a cat - ooh, bad analogy!

Old 05-30-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I can relate to this. Our Benny lived to age 20, and had some of the same cognitive issues. She may be howling because she's going deaf (there are simple tests you can do at home to check this--google if you're interested) in addition to the cognitive issues at her age.

While you're away, do you think she's feel safer confined to part of the house, like her favorite bedroom? If you think this will stress her more, obviously don't do it but I wondered if less space might feel safer for her.

Another idea is to have the sitter come a little more frequently--2 to 3 times per day.

I don't mean to sound morbid, but make sure your new sitter knows who your vet is, in case something comes up. You can also call your vet and tell them who the sitter is and when you'll be away.

I know what it's like to leave an old kitty like that--it's hard.
Hi Rene, I'm beginning to wonder about this. I'll Google how to check her hearing at home. Thank you! I think she'll stay on the second floor when the sitter is here. The sitter will essentially be living at my house for the week and staying most nights. She'll definitely have the contact i info for my vet and my brother who lives nearby.

Last edited by zencorinne; 05-30-2023 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: adding more

Old 06-01-2023, 04:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zencorinne View Post
Hi Rene, I'm beginning to wonder about this. I'll Google how to check her hearing at home. Thank you! I think she'll stay on the second floor when the sitter is here. The sitter will essentially be living at my house for the week and staying most nights. She'll definitely have the contact i info for my vet and my brother who lives nearby.

I wouldn't go at all. But if you insist on going, this is best, so I am very glad to read you are having someone stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats