Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 10:17 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Whether or not you wanted another cat is irrelevant. This cat wanted you, and that's all that matters.

It's a real shame how black cats are so unfavored, in general. I've had five cats in my life, and every one of them has been black. It's not even that I tried to do that; that's just the way it worked out. But I wouldn't have traded any of them for anything.
I love Black Cats ....... but I am glad the Angels decided that my next cat would not be black (but a full tabby) for we were getting a bit unbalanced in herd. Now, 3 black cats, 1 tabby, two golden.

For me, cats are Angel sent. For my first cat, I wanted a full tabby, to be called Athena or Artemus but none were available but there was this little black kitten. I held her in my palms, she looked up at me as if to say......"THIS ONE IS MINE! I'VE GOT HER!"......and we were together for a decade.

So for the next, I wanted a black cat, to call her Isis, and another cat, too, so to never come home to an empty house. Not the case but a brother and sister half white belly and grey or tabby on top.

By that time, I had gotten the message. My next pair, (owned for there were passerbys, too) sisters, were caught and release ones who moved into the neighborhood and adopted me (though I thought otherwise). Black cat tortoises. After that, the golden pair, then the black trio, and now the Tabby.

Am I, are certain people just pet magnets? In my case, I do believe so. I was unloading the car at the apartments, yeas ago, and a full tabby came meowing up to me. Took her in, fed her, photographed her, a friend was able to take her that night to his ranch to be a barn cat. Another time, I was out walking Mom's dog, inherited, and a medium size dog just came running up to us, playing. Checking around locally, found out his humans were moving in and he had escaped. There have been other pets as well but I seem to think there is a flashing sign above me that animals can see.

The black trio is interesting in relation to this story for they were guests, the cats of an actress friend going through a divorce who needed a place to stay. After a year, my friends were telling me, "Tamara, they are your cats now.".

Black cats around here are given witches names.

Finally, in my family, this is just the way, that we take care of animals, it is. When I was a teen and living overseas, the kitten of the local alley cat would come in through the window at night and sleep with my kid Brother, night after night. That tabby got herself adopted and came home to America.

SO, does it happen? YES, most certainly. Did it happen to you? In event, so it seems. By what magic? That is for you.....and the animals with you.....to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 10:47 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
I can't figure out how you made an appointment to get him neutered when you say the vet says he's already neutered. . . . Which also makes me wonder who got him neutered, & whether they are looking for him. . . . You said nothing about him being checked for a chip. . . .
OP said in a later post that they misspoke in the original post and that cat was not neutered.

Old 07-24-2023, 11:05 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
OP said in a later post that they misspoke in the original post and that cat was not neutered.
Correct. He was not neutered. He's getting neutered right now actually (and also getting the rest of his shots). The vet checked for a microchip, but he didn't have one.

Of course, we had him locked in a bathroom all last night so we could be ready for his appt first thing this am and my daughter let him out of that room, then he promptly ran downstairs and bolted outside when my husband happened to open the door to get something. My 15 yo daughter and I had to follow him around the block for a while, trying to coax him over, while he avoided us. She had to go into the bushes of a neighbor's yard and basically drag him out.

He must have known where he was going, LOL.

Old 07-24-2023, 11:13 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

So, do you all think we have a new cat or what?
You have a new cat.

It's the curse of the cat people.

You cat lovers feed strays, they end up owning you.

The neighborhood strays know who you are. There will be another one soon.

Old 07-24-2023, 11:15 AM

903 posts, read 582,790 times
Congratulations on your new family member.

We became the owners of male, black cat when he climbed up into the wheel well of my spare tire underneath my truck. My wife pulled him out when I got home. We originally tried to find him a home, but were unable to and then were getting close to Halloween so he became part of the family. Didn't originally want to give him a name since he wasn't going to stay so we just called him Mister and stuck with it.

cd : O)

Old 07-24-2023, 11:24 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
I didn't necessarily want Delta Sept last year, my older cat, I had 2 was peering out the front door and I saw a little white thing in, the shrubs, took all day to catch her, she was mean, dirty. She went under the air conditioner unit outside, I got my crate and she was under some leaves and got her in the crate. She was mad, thought she was feral. Put the crate on the deck, brought water, that was knocked over, put her in the kitchen in the crate, the other 2 cats were curious. Finally put her in the office in the crate got food and water, opened the door to the crate and left her. When I returned, she was a purrrrfect little kitty. Vet appt a few days later, her still in the office. She was 2 lbs and 5 weeks old. Wow. Of course I kept her, someone dumped her, I live rural, now way she came from a neighbor. With a spay and a protruding rectum, I ended up spending 1000.00, now I'm her mama.

You have a new kitty, it's just happens that way !! Didn't take her long to not tolerate being in the office, so eventually I let her bond with her brothers. Lol She is in love with my 6 yr old black pixie bob tail. The 14 yr old wants nothing to do with her but tolerates.

Happy New Kitty!!!!!

Old 07-24-2023, 11:27 AM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
My rescue that won my heart when I had no business with a 3rd cat is the sweetest boy ever. They really do fully appreciate being rescued and are the most loving fur babies. There could be some transition issues (like mine thought my tweed couch was a horizontal scratching post and pulled himself around the perimeter scooting on the hardwoods until such time as he completely destroyed it). That was replaced with a Wool couch (tweed is out). I keep it covered with heavy wool blankets.

Falling in love is grand . The cat is very lucky.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:28 PM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
He must have known where he was going, LOL.
He was just trying to protect what was his.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:25 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
We had a neighborhood cat adopt us because he figured out we had a doggie door. No idea how long he'd been coming around, but we 'discovered' him in the middle of the night during a huge thunderstorm... when our 'on purpose' cat found him hiding under the bed. Epic fight!

Those cats hated each other from the jump, but I couldn't figure out how to keep him away. Finally gave up. It took a couple years, but they finally seemed to reach an uneasy truce.

He was a 'neighborhood' cat until the end, but spent the nights with us and we were clearly his people.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:43 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Back in 2010 when we were looking for another cat, we went to the local shelter and asked which cat had been there the longest. The volunteer immediately said Cassie and took us to a black cat who was three years old and had been in two different shelters for over a year as no one wanted her. Her previous owners said they were moving and couldn't take her but they also said she was a timid afraid cat that hid all the time, so I think they may have just wanted to get rid of her.

It took her a year and a half of living in a bedroom before she would come out into the rest of the house and be with our other cat. Fast forward and she is now part of a three female cat household and everyone gets along fine, even if the two younger cats do defer to her as the boss. She is a happy, healthy, affectionate cat who right now is laying on the floor by me while I type this. I sure am glad we gave this black cat a chance.
Thank you so much for taking in this poor rejected frightened cat. Once they come around they can be the bestest buds!

Long ago we adopted Bizzie, age 2 or 3 maybe but who was hyper or just downright manic. She'd been out at least twice, maybe more, and returned. She was just wild.

After a long time, maybe a year, she calmed down and became the sweetest. We also adopted Shelly at the same time, she was quite withdrawn and had one handler at the shelter. One person she was OK with. She had been at the shelter for three years or so. Nobody wanted her.

Bizzie terrorized Shelly for quite a while, one day Shelly put a paw up to Bizzie's face and that was the end of the harassment. They became good buds, we'd hear them upstairs in the middle of the night playing chase. For hours it seemed.

They were the sweetest most loving cats. They just needed a chance, some patience, some love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats