Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2024, 12:13 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,008,363 times

Advertisements

I have an elderly black cat (around 14 now) who has flaky skin and whenever I try to brush her pull up considerable flaking along with considerable resistance/protest. It must irritate her and have had zero success with food options that contain more fish oil for instance, getting her to take drops and anything topical is out of the question. Not sure why she's so dry as she eats wet food (and some kibble) daily and is a good water drinker. Has anyone had any success in a similar situation with anything else? This typically clears up more/less by the summer months, but even then has some dryness around her lower back and tail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 12:49 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,165,043 times
Maybe a humidifier would help?

Old 01-31-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Maybe a humidifier would help?
I have one running constantly now, as I know the indoor heat can be drying to the skin.

Old 02-02-2024, 04:35 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,705,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have an elderly black cat (around 14 now) who has flaky skin and whenever I try to brush her pull up considerable flaking along with considerable resistance/protest. It must irritate her and have had zero success with food options that contain more fish oil for instance, getting her to take drops and anything topical is out of the question. Not sure why she's so dry as she eats wet food (and some kibble) daily and is a good water drinker. Has anyone had any success in a similar situation with anything else? This typically clears up more/less by the summer months, but even then has some dryness around her lower back and tail.
When was her last checkup? I ask because my cat with chronic kidney disease had very dry skin. There are a number of underlying reasons that a cat has dry skin, so determining what is causing it should be your first step.

If topicals are out-of-the-question, then what about a chewable? There are many supplements available in chewable treat form.

Another option might be coconut or sweet almond oil but, again, consult with a vet first, especially with an elderly cat, before giving your cat a supplement or oil.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
When was her last checkup? I ask because my cat with chronic kidney disease had very dry skin. There are a number of underlying reasons that a cat has dry skin, so determining what is causing it should be your first step.

If topicals are out-of-the-question, then what about a chewable? There are many supplements available in chewable treat form.

Another option might be coconut or sweet almond oil but, again, consult with a vet first, especially with an elderly cat, before giving your cat a supplement or oil.
I'm more inclined to think its environmental as her dry skin is just around her low back and tail. Her urine appears and smells normal, has normal water consumption as well as box usage which is regular (once a day).

Old 02-09-2024, 09:30 PM

6,155 posts, read 4,531,061 times
Linatone plus with Zinc. I have had very good results with this when I lived in a NYC apt with drying heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats