Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 67,426 times

Advertisements

Thank you Sandy162....she is feeling better, not quite herself however...thats what my hubby said.."they get sick like we do"... thank you agian...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I can't stress this enough, everyone...if your cat is vomiting/not eating/lethargic, you need to take it to the vet ASAP! If you wait too long, it may be too late, I see it all the time with both cats and dogs at the e-vet center where I work...don't wait until it's gotten to this point, if you can't afford a vet then borrow money or pawn your TV...anything! When you agree to take an animal in, you agree to provide for them in every capacity, just like you do if having human children...!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:16 AM

947 posts, read 3,408,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I can't stress this enough, everyone...if your cat is vomiting/not eating/lethargic, you need to take it to the vet ASAP! If you wait too long, it may be too late, I see it all the time with both cats and dogs at the e-vet center where I work...don't wait until it's gotten to this point, if you can't afford a vet then borrow money or pawn your TV...anything! When you agree to take an animal in, you agree to provide for them in every capacity, just like you do if having human children...!
Right On!

make it happen, we owe it to them, theydeserve respect, love and medical care and if it needs to be urgent med attention then so be it... No question about it

my credit cards are used only when needed... not on my self... I am not a shopper, I try to not use them and use cash for all things but there has been enough times hen cash was short and kitty needed her vet... done, she was there to be seen when ever needed...

we make that commitment to them, they do not ask for much but our love and care in return...

Great book by the way...
THE NEW NATURAL CAT by Anitra Frazier, I have it too, just was reading parts of it today...
yup gives lots of suggestions of ways to improve overall health with different diet choices.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 67,985 times
I'm having the identical problem (vomiting for days, water and now bile). I've taken her to the vet, gotten the xrays, no sign of any problems. The vet gave her something to sooth her stomach and an injected some fluids into her, the vomiting stopped for a day and then started again. She's not eating, not drinking and the bile is still coming out. The only thing the vet wants to do is try another expensive test. After reading these posts which are describing exactly what I'm going through, I'm deeply bothered that my beloved pet who seemed healthly a week ago, is only 4 years of age, may very well be dead in a week or two while I'm left with hundreds of dollars in debt. It's extremely sad to watch her suffer like this but I can't bring myself to just say, we'll I might just has well her put down.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,516 times
Be awere though the vet may want to push S/D or science diet- basically most cat food is made up of garbage- the rejects of human feed industries.

Instincts, wellness, Innova EVO are the best ones I know of.

Wet food is always better in the long run.

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more is a good place to learn

However it is NOT normal for a cat to be throwing up he needs to see a vet!!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 67,985 times
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2] [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]My beloved Chloe died on Sun, Jan 31st. She would have turned 4 in March. I've lost the most wonderful friend. I had her into see a vet within 2 days of her first vomiting and 2 more visits after that. She could have been spared, I’m certain of that now. I was never given proper instructions. All the vet wanted to do was "run another test" $500 later I ended up with dead pet. Sadly, there are far too many incompetent vets out there. I spoke with a friend who runs a cat rescue. One sentence into me telling her what Chloe's symptoms were she told me Chloe had "fatty liver disease". This answer came the day after Chloe died, but even if I had gotten a call a day earlier it would have been too late, Chloe had been ignored too long. I found out what hat I needed to do was force-feed her with a syringe every two hours (a high calorie soft food to jump start her system), without miss, except I would have been able to sleep through the night. My friend said she's done this with a number of cats and she agreed that if I had been told or knew what to do within the first few days of Chloe having stopped eating and drinking water, I would most likely have my pet with me today. I had no idea of how to force-feed or any importance of a strict schedule. Another friend said to me she was certain the average vet had not graduated from school with a grade higher than a C and there are a lot of average vets out there. Last point. There are so many animals, cat’s in particular, being put down to date, thousands every year here in Michigan. I am appalled when I hear someone say, "if you can't afford a vet, you shouldn’t have a pet. I have a 14-year-old cat in ideal health. I rescued her from the Humane Society when she was only two. She's been spayed and had all her first shots, but has never seen a vet since and she runs around and plays like a kitten. I encourage everyone who loves pets to adopt, no matter what one’s financial status is, as long as you can afford food and litter and the animal is spayed/neutered and has had distemper and rabies. I strongly encourage cats being kept indoors, not let outside, but I understand that's not always going to happen. Please adopt responsibly (via a shelter) and you will be rewarded 100 times over. I thank you for coming to me with your information. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Last edited by nrk55; 02-09-2010 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: to reword a sentence.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
My deepest sympathy and concern to the previous posters.

But, the last couple of posts raise an important point in sick pet management. Dehydration is a really big problem for a vomiting cat who is not drinking water. Its an easy procedure for the vet to make an injection of water between the fur and the skin. Just needs to be done every couple of days and is not expensive. Can save a sick cat's life while he is healing himself.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
I agree with the posters here who advise bringing your cat to a vet if your cat is vomiting. Cats get dehydrated rapidly and this is a life threatening situation. Your vet can teach you how to administer water in the back of their necks to keep them going until, hopefully they recover. Do all you can do and do not give up. Start researching natural ways to heal your cat. The book mentioned here by Anita Frazier is excellent. You are that cat's "parent" and you owe him the best of care, especially when ill. I have learned over many years, how to heal ill and dying cats by educating myself in natural ways of healing. Many vets don't know what to do, especially when all the tests come out negative....or with no problem noted. A cat vomiting, and with diarrhea is a life threatening situation. Don't dawdle and rush into action! Take your cat to a vet pronto for the preliminaries and then start looking, or talking to people who have natural means of healing knowledge behind them, talk to them. Ask questions, and don't leave any rock unturned until you know you have done your very best. Sometimes it truly is your cat's time to go and you just have to accept that. Far easier said then done, but do your best, that is all anyone can do.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk55 View Post
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2] [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]My beloved Chloe died on Sun, Jan 31st. She would have turned 4 in March. I've lost the most wonderful friend.
I am very sorry for your loss.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
This is a really important topic. There is a big difference in the way cats are handled when they get into the health care system than the way children are handled. With children, once they are seen your job is pretty much over. The doctors tell you exactly what is needed and then they actually do those things whether you want to or not. Even if you refuse, they will still get done. So the whole pediatric care system is on automatic pilot. So, all you have to do is show up.

With your cat, its exactly the opposite. You have to make every decision, ask every question and insist on adequate information from a sometimes reluctant professional community. And, in the end, you can make a mistake by putting an animal down too early or under the wrong circumstances. Or getting the wrong or not enough treatment. And the little creatures are solely in your hands. Its is a great responsibility and takes a lot of care to get it right.

(lecture over)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats