Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:50 AM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times

Advertisements

Both our cats got very sick yesterday. Yellow bile looking stuff as well as some small amounts of crunchies or wet food.
But it continued, the one just dx as hyperthyroid and is on the ear meds now, continued to vomit.
She even has trouble keeping water down now, she'll either vomit liquid or some foam if I guess there's not enough of whatever in her tummy.
Going to the vet, for probably hydration and an x ray.

It looks like they got into something, we don't know what but one kitty seems somewhat better but our Shelly is still sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,039,432 times
I hope both cats are feeling better by now. Please let us know what the vet finds. You said maybe they got into something. Did you have any easter flowers they might have nibbled on? I know lilies are bad for cats.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,986 times
Sure sounds like they got into something. I hope they're doing better now.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:47 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,596 times
Oh wow. I hope everything is all right.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:13 PM

Thanks, all. We've been very concerned and stressed about this.
The vet seemed pretty uncurious about their getting into something. Maybe because it's almost impossible to diagnose.

Shelly got X rays and some antacid and 1/2 of a light human anti-depressant (can't find receipt at the moment) which acts as an appetite stimulant.

She was better after her first hydration but still got sick and her appetite was not improved.

Second hydration on the 9th and her appetite has resumed. She eats canned and crunchies now. Drinks plenty of water, all systems are go in the litter boxes.

Vet recommended an ultra sound, so we had an appointment yesterday. Got wrong address from vet, no briefing, spent time waiting on trains downtown and eventually got correct address. Got there 45 minutes late (I'd called them a couple of times to say I would be late, and to get the real address) and they said the wait would be a couple of hours.

I said what the hell, why have a damned appointment if I come in and it's still a two hour wait? We left, neither kitty nor I was ready for more BS and then a ride home in the middle of Friday afternoon commuter traffic.

Shelly is getting 1/2 of her thyroid dosage, she's eating well and the one side-effect (?) I can see from her anti-depressant is she's been sleeping with her eyes open.

I felt a lump in her tummy a couple of days ago, it has gone down in size and hardness. Vet also never called back regarding that.

I'm considering a second opinion or a visit to some other local vets to perhaps find a new cat family physician. His office staff is getting very careless, and his not calling back about the lump concerns me.

Thanks for caring, our kitties are the best furry friends!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:39 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,986 times
Maybe you can try another vet that might have that equipment on hand, for the ultra sound. I would still at least get the lump checked out either way. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,034 times
It can be frustrating for sure, hope things get sorted soon and all is well.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,596 times
Oh man. Sounds like you've had quite a time. I hope all goes well with find another vet.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 PM

450 posts, read 5,023,122 times
Since they both got sick on the same day, think about their food. Could the food have been spoiled? Any recent changes in diet? Do you use pesticides around the house that they could have ingested?

I had a cat who vomited yellow bile for weeks. The vet ran every test, but could not figure out the problem.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Maybe you can try another vet that might have that equipment on hand, for the ultra sound. I would still at least get the lump checked out either way. Good luck!
Lump has shrunk to nothing now. Weird. It was nickel sized and very hard at first, it shrank steadily. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
It can be frustrating for sure, hope things get sorted soon and all is well.
Frustrating and stressful. Poor kitty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
Oh man. Sounds like you've had quite a time. I hope all goes well with find another vet.
Thank you. She's almost back to normal now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Since they both got sick on the same day, think about their food. Could the food have been spoiled? Any recent changes in diet? Do you use pesticides around the house that they could have ingested?

I had a cat who vomited yellow bile for weeks. The vet ran every test, but could not figure out the problem.
My guess was a bad can of food, or something in a can of food.

Radiologist suggests ultrasound to rule out pancreatitis.

Thanks, everyone, for your concern and support. These are the sweetest greatest kits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats