Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,465 times

Advertisements

So I adopted my cat almost 3 months ago now. According to the adoption papers, he is fixed.

However every so often, I want to say a few times a week he has this "ritual". He will start to knead while standing, usually on on upper arm or side of the chest. While he is kneading, his hips will shudder. He'll keep doing this for an extended period of time if I let him. There were a few times it almost seemed like he was trying to "mount" my arm!

Then after he feels he has kneaded enough, he will always walk a foot away and start licking himself in his privates and always has what seems like an erection!!

Now this has freaked me out, and at first I thought maybe I was crazy. But the BF has witnessed this behavior as well. I'm also a little concerned because I have read this as a possible cause:

Frequent erections without any additional sexual behavior like pelvic thrusting means that another health problem is occurring in the neutered male cat that gets erections. If he is constantly licking himself and seems to be urinating outside of the litter pan, he could have a urinary tract infection. The infection will cause the penis to descend and sometimes become erect. According to cat health and behavior advice website Paws and Effect, constant erections in neutered male cats could be a sign of a neurological problem such as a brain damage. The brain sends out chemical messages to move certain body parts, such as the penis.

I feel strange for even asking these questions, but I imagine I can't be the only person who has ever had a cat with this type of behavior!

Now given he is not urinating outside of the littler box, I don't think it's a UTI. And while in the beginning he seemed to try to "mount" my arm, he's not really doing that anymore, so I now wonder if it's some kind of health issue. Or is his movement of hips while kneading possibly just a way of him "dry humping"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,580 times
Freddie tries doing that while on top of me with his paws on either side of my neck, but I don't let him because I don't want it to get out of control and get bit.
I move both of his paws to one side of my neck and he calms down, and settles in and purrs. (With no humping action)

I just re-read your post: I'm pretty sure it's sexual in nature.

Last edited by leanansidhex; 08-20-2012 at 11:18 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 11:22 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
So I adopted my cat almost 3 months ago now. According to the adoption papers, he is fixed....Now given he is not urinating outside of the littler box, I don't think it's a UTI. And while in the beginning he seemed to try to "mount" my arm, he's not really doing that anymore, so I now wonder if it's some kind of health issue. Or is his movement of hips while kneading possibly just a way of him "dry humping"?
Cats don't have "issues", they have problems. Seems like you should be taking this fellow to a vet pronto.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:03 AM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
I feel strange for even asking these questions, but I imagine I can't be the only person who has ever had a cat with this type of behavior!
Nope! My 11 year-old Persian Cat, Cyrus, has been doing this to me since he was a kitten... and he's as healthy as a horse, with no previous or current urinary issues AFAIK. I just write it off as "boys being boys," and usually shoo him away if it gets too pervy (i.e., when the hip-shuddering starts). He's neutered, fyi, but that doesn't stop male dogs from humping either.

P.S. If you're afraid he'll get aggressive when you stop him, just stand up or move enough to where he leaves on his own. That's typically how I get Cyrus off me, since he has a tendency to nip/scratch when forcibly moved.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 AM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Cats don't have "issues", they have problems. Seems like you should be taking this fellow to a vet pronto.
See my above post... this isn't highly unusual behavior, and with my cat is nothing medical in nature. Regular check-ups are always a good idea, but this doesn't sound like a health problem to me. Although, I might be concerned about the description of ALWAYS having an erection - so that might be something to have checked.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,022 times
i had a cat who loved mounting, kneading and dry humping a stuffed animal long after he was fixed. funniest damn thing. they were a cute couple

there were no health problems there. i've noticed other fixed males doing similar things. since your cat isn't peeing in strange ways or places, i wouldn't sweat it too much

Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,009,621 times
Every few months or so I've seen Jem do that. There's always a full moon too. He's 2yrs old and been fixed since he was 6mo old. I chalk it up to him being just a strange little black cat getting his kicks.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
So I adopted my cat almost 3 months ago now. According to the adoption papers, he is fixed.

However every so often, I want to say a few times a week he has this "ritual". He will start to knead while standing, usually on on upper arm or side of the chest. While he is kneading, his hips will shudder. He'll keep doing this for an extended period of time if I let him. There were a few times it almost seemed like he was trying to "mount" my arm!

Then after he feels he has kneaded enough, he will always walk a foot away and start licking himself in his privates and always has what seems like an erection!!

Now this has freaked me out, and at first I thought maybe I was crazy. But the BF has witnessed this behavior as well. I'm also a little concerned because I have read this as a possible cause:

Frequent erections without any additional sexual behavior like pelvic thrusting means that another health problem is occurring in the neutered male cat that gets erections. If he is constantly licking himself and seems to be urinating outside of the litter pan, he could have a urinary tract infection. The infection will cause the penis to descend and sometimes become erect. According to cat health and behavior advice website Paws and Effect, constant erections in neutered male cats could be a sign of a neurological problem such as a brain damage. The brain sends out chemical messages to move certain body parts, such as the penis.

Now given he is not urinating outside of the littler box, I don't think it's a UTI. And while in the beginning he seemed to try to "mount" my arm, he's not really doing that anymore, so I now wonder if it's some kind of health issue. Or is his movement of hips while kneading possibly just a way of him "dry humping"?
I've seen that in a neutered male before. The cat I'm referring to would knead the fleece lining of his bed and kinda' dry hump the enclosure wall simultaneously. His eyes would roll back and he would drool at the same time - he was put down when he was 15 due to a liver illness. I think it just means that you have a pervy cat and I seriously, seriously doubt that a vet visit is warranted.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
There are still some male hormones even in neutered cats. Some of this behavior may simply be instinctive. I would gently discourage the behavior but not worry about it. That's just my opinion.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
He is just getting over stimulated. It is normal, even for nuetered cats. No problem here...unless you have issues with it. If you do, maybe transition him to a toy stuffed cat he can rumble with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats