Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times

Advertisements

Since a recent post of mine on the "Cats, Arthritis and daily Meloxicam treatment" thread has remained without comment for a week or so I decided to grab a portion of it and start a new thread. I really don't know how best to handle this situation and it's become a great concern of mine.

I initially began the above mentioned thread thread based on the requirements for my 11 year-old cat (Scamp) to receive daily medication for arthritis. I'd been reading all kinds of negative things about this medication and it caused me some concern. After a visit to the vet, however, since I began the thread all was well with Scamp following a blood test and a resupply of Meloxicam. So, that part is no longer relevant to the present issue.

Nine days after the visit to the vet and the "all clear" I was startled one morning to see Scamp walking with an unusual gait. He was limping worse than I’d ever seen him previously. In fact, since I started treating his arthritic condition with Meloxicam in late 2013 he hadn’t limped at all. My first thought was that the remaining Meloxicam I gave him on a daily basis (I hadn’t opened the new bottle yet) might somehow have thinned out and therefore be less effective than it might otherwise be. I called the vet with this particular theory and was told that, if anything, it would be the new bottle, if not shaken, that might be somewhat thin …certainly not the remains of the old. I had really hoped that this WOULD have been sufficient reason for Scamp's then present situation.

While Scamp was off doing his own thing (outside) most of the day I glimpsed him every now and again and his limp appeared to be getting worse. I determined in my mind that (sigh) I would have to take him yet again to the vet if his condition hadn’t improved by the next day. My hope was that he had perhaps sprained a hind leg due to a heavy landing while dismounting from his lofty perch atop the shade cloth covering in the breezeway after climbing on the roof, one of his favorite places. He was always clambering up the upright copper logs that hold the shade cloth in place and provide access to the flat corrugated metal roof. As said, he’s an active cat.

While a friend and I were sitting outside on the patio later that night we heard a commotion from the open front door. It was Scamp and he was dragging himself along only by his front legs. His hind legs appeared to be paralyzed. My friend and I immediately sprang into action. We were both somewhat panic-stricken. I quickly prepared the cat-carrier while my friend fired up the car. I picked up Scamp (who unsuccessfully tried to make a break and climb the fence) and placed him in it. Then with my heart pounding fifty to the dozen we raced Scamp off to the JCU (James Cook University) vet, the only surgery open 24-7. When we reached the vet I was so upset that I could barely explain the situation without breaking down. This little guy, Scamp, is my life and I couldn't bear the thought of life without him. Anyway, they signed Scamp in but told me that they would have to call in an off-duty vet to come look at him. The vet came some 30-minutes later. After checking Scamp the vet told my friend and I that he had been treated with pain-killers but that an X-ray could not be taken until the following day.

The following day I called the vet and was told that the X-ray had revealed a cyst or an abscess of some description that had attached itself to Scamp’s spine, thereby immobilizing his hind legs. An operation might need to be performed but even this might not be successful. And, it might even be too late to perform an operation anyway. They didn’t even know for sure what the ‘growth’ was. There was no obvious evidence that Scamp had been hit by a car or been bitten by a snake. I was beside myself with worry and also grief since I clearly began to see the writing on the wall. I inwardly cursed veterinary science for not having answers to such problems even in this day and age where beloved pets have to die as a consequence. It was suggested by the vet that Scamp be given the weekend to see if there were any improvements. We admitted Scamp on the Wednesday night so, unless there was improvement by the following Monday, some 5 days later, then Monday would have to be ‘decision day’.

I couldn’t eat and nor could I sleep and I generally felt washed out. This time of year I'm very involved in organizing public Christmas music events. I had a group of vocalists to mentor and it was essential that I be at the top of my game. Thursday evening, the evening after having admitted Scamp, was group practice and also Sunday afternoon, the day before I had to make a very difficult life or death decision. I had to be on the ball as the group depended on me. But pain was eating away at me and I was finding it very difficult to cope. But I had to. The group were told what had happened and they knew my strong attachment to Scamp. They were great but even their sympathy and assurances only added to my grieving.

As a side, I had called Pet Heaven several days before to make arrangements with them to pick up Scamp from the vet should the decision be made to put him down. I couldn’t bring myself to see Scamp in his present condition or be there when he was euthanized. I also didn’t want photographs or memorials of any description. The mere thought of this brought (and still does bring) tears to my eyes. I would not forget Scamp but I wanted to remember him as my 11 year-strong buddy in my memory alone. They (Pet Heaven) asked if I would like a commemorative letter which I also declined. However, when they told me that I need not open it until I chose to, perhaps several months down the track, perhaps never, I agreed. Scamp’s ashes would be scattered in an area just outside of town owned by Pet Heaven and a small commemorative plaque erected in his name. Oh my ...this became too much and I politely excused myself from further discussion over the phone. They understood and said that everyone deals with their grief in different, personal, ways. When my mother passed away some ten years ago I didn’t feel this bad. What the hell is wrong with me? I’m a supposedly mature man. I didn’t grieve like this over my own mother!

On the Saturday morning I called the JCU vet to check on Scamp. His condition had not improved; in fact, if anything it had gotten worse. I was told that Scamp couldn’t function with regard to the litter box and was therefore connected to a catheter. Thanks for telling me that vet …that’s just what I needed to hear! I asked the vet what the options were and the news was not good. I managed to gasp (sob) over the phone that I would call Monday morning for a final check before the decision to have Scamp euthanized was made. My previously mentioned friend showed up soon after I made the call to try to cheer me up and also to help set up the sound equipment for the following day’s group practice. He’s also the ‘sound man’ for the group. I told him the latest news about Scamp and he casually made the suggestion that we go out to the RSPCA* shelter ...just to look around. As always, there are an over-abundance of cats and dogs out there hoping that someone will adopt them. At first I didn’t care for the idea as I felt that I would be betraying Scamp by replacing him with another cat …even before the decision had been made to euthanize him. My friend assured me that giving an animal a loving home that it would not otherwise get was NOT replacing Scamp. However, a new pet might help fill the gaping hole inside of me that was causing me such grief and help me get through the weekend.

So, we went out to the RSPCA for a look see. There was a long-term cat there by the name of Dream Catcher, a young (less than 2 year-old) female cat who, for some reason, had been overlooked by prospective ‘adopters’. She had been there since July and the shelter was desperate to find her a home. My friend and I couldn’t understand why Dream Catcher would have been overlooked as she was young, quite attractive and also friendly. We were told by shelter folks that many people who adopt cats want kittens or the more exotic types of felines and tend to overlook the more regular short-hair ‘garden variety’ cats. Anyway, regardless of DC being ‘long-term’ (this had no bearing at all as to why I chose her) my friend and I came home with this beautiful kitty cat. Once home I immediately began to improve but I almost felt guilty for doing so. Scamp was presently in a cage at the vet, injured, hanging on between life and death and a newcomer to the house was helping to make ME feel better. How dare I feel better?

Dream Catcher was confined to the house for the rest of Saturday and the following Sunday morning. She was, naturally, inquisitive and explored every room in the entire house. But, she never seemed nervous or out of place. On the Sunday morning I decided to open a door to the outside to see what she would do. I would watch her like a hawk just in case she decided to make a run for it. I instinctively didn’t think she would do so because she had made no previous attempts to head for a door. She gingerly approached the open door to the outside world, peeked outside for a moment, and then turned around and came back inside. Wow, she didn’t seem that interested. So, I left both doors of the house ajar (as I do during the day when home so the cats have access in or out) and went outside myself to prepare setting up sound equipment in the breezeway for the upcoming group practice. Dream Catcher (now called Cleo for ease of calling her name) followed me out and began to explore the outdoor scene. She was there with me pretty much the entire day and it became clearly evident that she had attached herself to both the house and the environment.

Cleo has many of Scamp’s traits. For instance, one of the first things she did after familiarizing herself with the outdoors was to clamber up the copper logs, on to the shade cloth and on to the flat corrugated tin roof of the house. My friend and I couldn’t believe it. That’s where she spends much of the time during the cool of evening, just like Scamp. The other cat, Honey, does no such thing and is a far more reserved cat. Cleo also jumps on to my computer desk (usually parking herself in front of the computer screen so I can’t see anything but her) as if to say, “Here I am, give me some attention.” Just as Scamp did. If I believed such things I might believe that a divine hand was at play and that I have been given a ‘new Scamp’ to help fill the hole within me that he left. I’ll just mention that I DID do a certain amount of praying while in my deepest and darkest moments. All I know is that Cleo certainly DID make it easier for me to cope at a time when I needed to be at the top of my game.

Back to Scamp. Monday, the day I had dreaded, rolled around. I knew what this meant and that I had to stand strong. I reasoned in my mind that, once the decision was made to euthanize Scamp I would be able to move on. It was the actual words "euthanize Scamp" that I had to deal with and try to get them out without falling to pieces. I called the JCU vet surgery and the office girl answered. I enquired after Scamp and she said that she would get a hold of the vet. My heart started pounding as I prepared to give the instruction. The vet came on line and I asked, “How is Scamp?” What she said pretty much knocked the wind out of me. She said that there had been (and these were her actual words) “a substantial improvement in Scamp’s condition.” What?? What did this mean? The vet went on to say that it may not appear to be 'substantial' to the lay person but the fact that Scamp was now able to be disconnected from a catheter and function on his own WAS a substantial improvement over previous days. My mind was in a whirl. I hadn’t expected this at all. I was calling to instruct the vet to put Scamp down since his quality of life would be severely affected and this, in turn, would cause distress for me. It would be a lose/lose situation for both Scamp and me. But now, what was I hearing?

Following a length of time of questions from me and answers from her the vet suggested giving Scamp another 24-hours to see if his condition might improve further. This gave both Scamp and me a reprieve but it was also perhaps prolonging the agony for both of us. Something else that I’ve so far neglected to mention is the cost per day of keeping Scamp at the JCU surgery. It was costing me between $150/200 per day …money that I could hardly afford. I had already clocked up more than $1200 just for Scamp’s stay plus any pain killing medication that he received. And, as much as I hate to have to do this, expenses eventually HAVE to be taken into consideration when one is on a fixed income as I am. But anyway, I agreed to the 24 hours since I wanted to give Scamp every opportunity to stay alive.

That evening I received a call from a vet who specializes in cats only. He works all-nighters on Mondays at the JCU surgery …hence his knowledge of Scamp’s situation. He has a cat clinic in the city and he suggested that he take Scamp to his clinic for several weeks to board there. He had had cats that suffered similar ‘injuries’ to that of Scamp (even though no one knows for sure what that injury is or how it was caused) and, over time, they managed to pretty well heal themselves. He could, of course, offer no guarantees that Scamp would eventually be able to walk again as normal but he felt that he could do so if given time. Scamp would, however, probably show signs of being crippled. His quality of life (as compared to that of his previous life) would certainly be compromised and Scamp would need assistance to, for instance, climb on to a bed. Climbing and leaping would almost certainly be out of the question but the vet said that, if Scamp were his cat, he would give him that time. And, even though the call was mine to make, I trusted his opinion and agreed to this idea. The cat clinic would charge $20 per day board plus any medication that Scamp might require while there. The vet assured me that this medication would not or should not amount to much cost-wise. This vet appears to be a very sincere and caring person and I trusted what he had to say. So, once I had paid the JCU their $1500 for Scamp’s stay at the surgery (sigh) he was released to the care of the ‘cat vet’. And, that is where Scamp remains at this time.

The last update I got from the vet (in email form about 3 weeks ago) was that Scamp is showing slight improvement but that he still has problems climbing into the litter box. The vet also included a recent photograph of Scamp he took with his phone that caused me to tear up slightly. Dammit!

My present dilemma? That Scamp will not be much better off than when my friend and I admitted him to the JCU surgery on the night of Wednesday 18 November. I couldn't bear to see my once active buddy on a daily basis hobbling around and requiring my assistance to reach places that once he could have leaped to with ease. My dilemma is that the decision to euthanize him because his quality of life has barely improved might still be the only option ...despite the weeks in between where Scamp has remained isolated in a cage in the hope that he might improve. As bad as I feel even saying this, I almost wish that I HAD made the decision to have Scamp put down on that Monday back in November. By now I would have dealt with it day by day and started to heal over time. And, there is also Cleo who is now in the picture. I cannot and WOULD NOT take her back now! She's been given a good home and needs my love and care. And, she has most certainly helped me deal with this situation over the weeks.

Sorry for the length of this. Should anyone have stayed with me thus far ...do any of you cat lovers you have any input or suggestions you might care to give?

*My music group, Millennium, performed a "Carols Under The Stars" fund-raiser event for the RSPCA at the Riverway Amphitheater on the evening of Saturday 12 December to 300-plus enthusiastic patrons who contributed greatly (financially) to this wonderful national organization.

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 01-03-2016 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 01:01 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
I must have missed the part where you said how far away from you away you, the vet clinic is, where Scamp is being kept/treated/boarded? Why haven't you/ can't you see him every day?

What are they actually doing, every day, that couldn't be done by you, at this point. Unless they are Actively Treating him, I would bring him home.
He needs/wants to be with you, especially now. I would probably bring him home regardless, Unless they can prove that he will have a considerably better and much longer life, because of something they are actively doing.
I would have them fax his medical records to you, if they won't, then have a vet from the 'school' request them. It honestly sounds weird to me. but maybe it's just the way you presented it.

I know an animal communicator that is inexpensive, but more importantly, very gifted.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...n-feliway.html

http://www.petstellthetruth.com/

I would spend the $35/20 minutes, to check in with Scamp, and see what he wants.

I would bring him home

Leannan

Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 AM

149 posts, read 166,426 times
Personally I wouldn't euthanize based on your description of what Scamp's life would be like. I've had cats that couldn't jump to their old favorite sills and counters when they got old but they found other spots. There are also things you can do to accommodate scamp. You could build steps so that he can get up to the window sill or just have a spot to hang out on that's higher up. Traditional store-bought litter boxes might be tough for him to get in and out of so use something more shallow. I've heard of people using those foil disposable baking dishes that are meant for catering. Even better would be if you could purchase a rubbermaid or sterlite bin from walmart or home depot and cut and entry for him so the rim at entry would be pretty low.

Scamp is only 11. Yeah that's considered a "senior" cat but cats frequently live to see 18 or 20 (or more). You could have many great years left with him. I would consider keeping him as an indoor cat though for his safety. Though when I was much younger we had a cat in his twenties with limited mobility that would still go for a nice sit down in a sunny spot on the deck to watch the birds.

From what you describe I'd take Scamp back home when he is is deemed ready by the vet and keep Cleo too. If you are concerned about how they will get along look up "slow introductions" for cats and follow the method closely. Since Cleo is still at a very active age she will want to play fight more often than Scamp. Usually cats can communicate their boundaries but it wouldn't hurt to tire Cleo out with some interactive play with a wand toy or teaser a few times a day if possible.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I must have missed the part where you said how far away from you away you, the vet clinic is, where Scamp is being kept/treated/boarded? Why haven't you/ can't you see him every day?

What are they actually doing, every day, that couldn't be done by you, at this point. Unless they are Actively Treating him, I would bring him home.
He needs/wants to be with you, especially now. I would probably bring him home regardless, Unless they can prove that he will have a considerably better and much longer life, because of something they are actively doing.
I would have them fax his medical records to you, if they won't, then have a vet from the 'school' request them. It honestly sounds weird to me. but maybe it's just the way you presented it.

I know an animal communicator that is inexpensive, but more importantly, very gifted.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...n-feliway.html

http://www.petstellthetruth.com/

I would spend the $35/20 minutes, to check in with Scamp, and see what he wants.

I would bring him home

Leannan
Thanks for your post but I think you may have misunderstood how I've been affected by this whole unfortunate series of events. Actually, there's nothing 'weird' about the situation but, as you suggested, my long and drawn out presentation of the events may have led you to believe this.

Scamp is presently being 'convalesced' approximately 8 miles from where I live. He's being cared for by a professional feline veterinary surgeon who is in a position to do more for Scamp than I can. You ask what am I actually doing every day re Scamp ...? Well, I'm allowing the time for nature to take its course (as initially suggested by the vet) in the hope that Scamp's injuries will heal naturally. The present 'treatment' is keeping Scamp confined in a controlled environment. I couldn't do that if he were at home. And, as long as Scamp remains injured and severely incapacitated, it would break my heart to see him in this condition every day at home knowing that there's nothing I can do for him. As said in my initial post, rather than his quality of life being severely affected for the rest of his life I HAD determined to have him euthanized. However, I postponed that call based on the advice of the feline vet.

Once again, I fear that his injury (whatever that injury might be) will NOT heal and that Scamp will be more or less in the same or similar position he was in when I decided that putting him down might be the only humane option. Again, thanks for your response and, by all means, feel free to ask me specific questions if need be.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:01 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
First off, I want you to know that I appreciate what you are going through. At the end of it, as I'm sure you know, this is going to have to be your decision. With that said, what I'm about to say is what I think I might do if I were in your situation, not at all what I think that you should do.

From what you have said, I think you have a wonderful resource in this veterinary surgeon. Not only because of his professional capabilities, but also because of his attitude. Personally, I think it's wonderful that he approached this from the perspective of "this is what I would do were it my cat". Scamp apparently is doing ok in this controlled environment. Have you expressed to this doctor your reservations about when and if you bring him home? Like, no holds barred, discussing with him exactly what Scamp will need, and whether or not you will be able to give it to him?

You're coming from an obvious (at least to me) standpoint of wanting what is best for him. IMO you need to have a serious discussion with this doctor about what this will entail. Will you need to have a special place for him? What will that place look like? Will he need to have more constant monitoring? Gosh, there are probably many more questions...but I hope you get the idea of what I'm trying to say here.

Once you have this information, you will then be able to make an informed decision about your next step.

Frankly, from what you have said here, euthanasia sounds like it's going to be off the table, at least for the moment. It sounds to me like your decision is going to be between taking him home, or letting someone else do it. Only you can make that choice- hopefully with all of the realistic information that you can get.

Cats, along with most animals, can certainly be adaptable. Heck, I have a maltese/poodle who has been happily on 3 usable legs since a car accident 6 years ago. With that being said though, I encourage you to get all the information you can, and be realistic about the care and support that you can give to Scamp in his current condition.

I do wish you the best.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:30 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Thanks for your post but I think you may have misunderstood how I've been affected by this whole unfortunate series of events. Actually, there's nothing 'weird' about the situation but, as you suggested, my long and drawn out presentation of the events may have led you to believe this.

Scamp is presently being 'convalesced' approximately 8 miles from where I live. He's being cared for by a professional feline veterinary surgeon who is in a position to do more for Scamp than I can. You ask what am I actually doing every day re Scamp ...? Well, I'm allowing the time for nature to take its course (as initially suggested by the vet) in the hope that Scamp's injuries will heal naturally. The present 'treatment' is keeping Scamp confined in a controlled environment. I couldn't do that if he were at home. And, as long as Scamp remains injured and severely incapacitated, it would break my heart to see him in this condition every day at home knowing that there's nothing I can do for him. As said in my initial post, rather than his quality of life being severely affected for the rest of his life I HAD determined to have him euthanized. However, I postponed that call based on the advice of the feline vet.

Once again, I fear that his injury (whatever that injury might be) will NOT heal and that Scamp will be more or less in the same or similar position he was in when I decided that putting him down might be the only humane option. Again, thanks for your response and, by all means, feel free to ask me specific questions if need be.
I'm sorry if my post came across as insensitive somehow. When Saber was sick and then rapidly declining, I was consumed by grief as I'm sure you are as well.

I asked what YOUR VET was actually doing everyday re SCAMP, (that you could not do at home) and I guess I still have the same question. There seems to be no diagnosis of his 'injury' although there is a tumor present. If ALL they are doing is keeping him confined (no feeding tubes, or - DAILY- Sub Q Fluids, DAILY-treatments involving needles etc. [that could be done at vet's office closer to you, once a week or so] .... and .... Although it would break your heart to see him this way, is it not possible that bringing him home, to his home, as well as yours, and keeping him confined to a large pop up kennel (one big enough that you can lay down inside next to him) would be the best thing for Scamp, and perhaps aid in his recovery. To be in his home, with the person who loves him, and can't imagine a life without him.

Hopefully Scamp will recover enough that he isn't in pain, is eating, and is enjoying life's little pleasures. Physical limitations would have occurred eventually due to age, he will adjust. If need be, get a ramp so he can get to the bed and a perhaps an easy way to access a window perch. During Saber's last week, I moved my mattress to the floor.

I'm not chastising you, quite the opposite. I'm concerned that you will have regrets later, as many on CD have posted about, that you didn't spend what time you two have left together [days, months or years] actually being together. Regret that you 'should have' been with him, to comfort him, as he passed. I had Saber euthanized at home, and for us, it was the best choice I could have made.

Adopting Cleo doesn't change your relationship with Scamp. They will work things out. There is plenty of 'how to introduce two cats' information on CD threads and on the internet. I have no doubt that Scamp sent Cleo to you because he understands how difficult this is, and will be, for you. She could easily become his cat guardian, groom him and cuddle with him.

Olivia and Alfredo were never friendly, until Alfredo became very ill. Then Olivia became his constant companion, grooming him and sleeping with him. He seemed very content to let her groom him as he fell asleep cuddled next to her.

The unselfish decision you made, the courage you summoned, to put his needs first, to help Scamp pass, if and when it is time ... this is the second gift we can offer them, the first, was the comfort and security ... of love, in of a Forever home.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:13 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,853 times
The decision to put down a loved pet is never an easy one. I read your posts but I have no guidance to offer as it is a personal choice only YOU must make and face the rest of its consequences (good and bad).

I do follow these rules to prepare myself for the inevitable:

If my cat stopped showing sign of interest in his favorite treats (he loves them)

If he cannot use the litterbox or play due to pain or side effects from any medication I give him at this point

If he no longer wants to sunbathe by the window

Anything he used to do and enjoy 70% he no longer can do due to pain, weakness, feeling bad, etc... for at least 3 days with no sign of improvement. It's better to be one day too early than one week too late.

I hope that answers the question of this thread

Old 01-04-2016, 05:54 PM

152 posts, read 185,608 times
when he is still and just sits in one place. then we had to put our cat down.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
First off, I want you to know that I appreciate what you are going through. At the end of it, as I'm sure you know, this is going to have to be your decision. With that said, what I'm about to say is what I think I might do if I were in your situation, not at all what I think that you should do.

From what you have said, I think you have a wonderful resource in this veterinary surgeon. Not only because of his professional capabilities, but also because of his attitude. Personally, I think it's wonderful that he approached this from the perspective of "this is what I would do were it my cat". Scamp apparently is doing ok in this controlled environment. Have you expressed to this doctor your reservations about when and if you bring him home? Like, no holds barred, discussing with him exactly what Scamp will need, and whether or not you will be able to give it to him?

You're coming from an obvious (at least to me) standpoint of wanting what is best for him. IMO you need to have a serious discussion with this doctor about what this will entail. Will you need to have a special place for him? What will that place look like? Will he need to have more constant monitoring? Gosh, there are probably many more questions...but I hope you get the idea of what I'm trying to say here.

Once you have this information, you will then be able to make an informed decision about your next step.

Frankly, from what you have said here, euthanasia sounds like it's going to be off the table, at least for the moment. It sounds to me like your decision is going to be between taking him home, or letting someone else do it. Only you can make that choice- hopefully with all of the realistic information that you can get.

Cats, along with most animals, can certainly be adaptable. Heck, I have a maltese/poodle who has been happily on 3 usable legs since a car accident 6 years ago. With that being said though, I encourage you to get all the information you can, and be realistic about the care and support that you can give to Scamp in his current condition.

I do wish you the best.
Thanks very much for your post. Yes, there are certainly questions to be asked and answers to be given re Scamp's long-term future, whether it be at home with me or his continuing at least for a while longer under the care of a trained professional. For now anyway, I feel the latter is the best for Scamp since he is presently confined and monitored, something that would not be the case if I brought him home. I could not, and would not, ever consider keeping him confined to a cage or even confined to my bedroom long term, i.e. keeping a specific area off limits to the other cats who live here. Besides the new-comer, Cleo, I also have Honey who is almost the same age as Scamp. The cats have access at all time to every room in the house as well as 24-7 access to the outdoors.

Incidentally, Cleo is the only cat that I specifically chose to come and live with me. Scamp arrived all by himself as a tiny kitten during a heavy rainstorm 11 years ago. Neither my then housemate or I had a clue where he came from but we took him in. Similarly so with Honey a couple of years later. He (yep, Honey is a male) just kept showing up periodically. He was clearly well looked after but it would be a whole 5 years before I would meet his owner. Even then I only found this out when I had to take Honey to the vet and found that he was micro-chipped ...hence locating the original owner who lived just around the corner. That's when I discovered that his name was Honey, due to his coloring. The owner paid the vet bill and took Honey home. However, before the day was out Honey was back at my place. We went through this ritual several more times before the owner 'signed' him over to me.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:35 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, I am still unclear ... have you gone to visit Scamp at the vet's? Or can you not even bear to do that?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh (hard to tell tone on the Internet), but I tend to see these things more from the kitty's point of view ... e.g., 10 years ago when I had to euthanize my sweet kitty Satay, whom I had had for 14-1/2 years, I KNEW it was the best thing to do but it hurt like he**. That night I called my sister and screamed "I want her back! I want her back!" -- but I knew, rationally, that I wanted her back to help ME, it wouldn't have helped her at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
.... Although it would break your heart to see him this way, is it not possible that bringing him home, to his home, as well as yours, and keeping him confined to a large pop up kennel (one big enough that you can lay down inside next to him) would be the best thing for Scamp, and perhaps aid in his recovery. To be in his home, with the person who loves him, and can't imagine a life without him.

I'm not chastising you, quite the opposite. I'm concerned that you will have regrets later, as many on CD have posted about, that you didn't spend what time you two have left together [days, months or years] actually being together. Regret that you 'should have' been with him, to comfort him, as he passed. I had Saber euthanized at home, and for us, it was the best choice I could have made.
^^^ Completely agree with what leanansidhex wrote, and especially the bolded part. Imagine how Scamp must feel at the vet if you have not been by (that is what I got from reading your posts -- I really hope I am wrong about that). Imagine how he will feel if he does indeed have to be euthanized and he is in some strange room with strangers, not with you, the person who loved him and raised him. I KNOW how incredibly hard it is to be with a kitty when he or she is euthanized, but I think it is a wonderful gift -- both for them and for us, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time.

Sorry, I know people deal with things differently, but your posts sound to me as if you are definitely handling the financial part of Scamp's condition (which is hard enough!!) but not the emotional, which in the end is so much more important.

I wish you and especially Scamp the best. PLEASE be with him, even if it is hard for you -- it will be better for HIM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats