Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 PM

8 posts, read 20,284 times

Advertisements

I'm torn and having really difficult time make this BIG decision

Background;

I'm mid 30's, a single mother of two children, living in a quiet city in the middle of nowhere of the PA state. This small town offers everything that we love; best educational system, small town and quiet life style, very safe area...my next door neighbor never locks his door, but one thing it doesn't has and that's the most needed was employment. I'm unemployed!

From listening to a friend of mine who live and grown up in the area and I have been doing some research to found that Orlando could be the place I can find a job. I have looking around and talked to people and got very promissory feedback of hiring.

Now I'm torn with decision; My children and I love this area that we current at. The school is great, the teachers are the best, I feel very safe leaving the children home by themselves even over night. Moving the Orlando area, Altamonte Spring to be exact I'm in doubt. As I mentioned I'm a singer mother, the education and safety are my priority concerns.

I guess I'm looking for moral support more then anything, I'm alone, have no family or friends...besides the one that mentioned above. Moving is a big decision and I really am in doubt.

From the research I have some idea of how much will I need for the moving and starting in a new place in such area but I have no idea how much food would three people need per month( I like to cook and the children preferred my cooking over eating out)? Is there other area should I considered for the safety reason? I'm also interest in Lake Marry, Dr. Phillips is a bit out of my range.

I'm coming to the area to check it out soon, in the mean time any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 08:53 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Congrats on the upcoming move and an early welcome to Orlando. I live in Altamonte Springs and I will tell you, it's a great place to live. I grew up in this area, moved around the metro and to SC, and came back to Orlando and chose Altamonte over other areas. It won't have a small town feel though, not at all. The main highway besides the interstate is actually wider than I-4 with at least 4 lanes in each direction. At times that road known as 436 can be a total of 8-9 lanes wide! The Uptown Altamonte area is a fairly upscale suburban-urban area surrounding a lake and mall. The schools are pretty good actually in that area, Lake Brantley has always been a nice high school. Let me know if you need more info, but I think you'll love Altamonte Springs.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,697,701 times
But I would still advise you to lock your doors, just in case.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
best advice I can give? Do not move to Orlando without a job lined up or have a lot of savings! The Unemployment rate in the metro is very bad!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:52 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Educationally, you will be fine in Altamonte. However, it is very suburban. To save on groceries, I combine coupons with sales and use a website like southernsavers.com to help with that. (That is not my website but just one that has helped me save so much over the past two months). Just make sure you have a job lined up before you arrive.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
[quote=#1busySingleMom;15272067]I'm torn and having really difficult time make this BIG decision

Background;

I'm mid 30's, a single mother of two children, living in a quiet city in the middle of nowhere of the PA state. This small town offers everything that we love; best educational system, small town and quiet life style, very safe area...my next door neighbor never locks his door, but one thing it doesn't has and that's the most needed was employment. I'm unemployed!

From listening to a friend of mine who live and grown up in the area and I have been doing some research to found that Orlando could be the place I can find a job. I have looking around and talked to people and got very promissory feedback of hiring.

Now I'm torn with decision; My children and I love this area that we current at. The school is great, the teachers are the best, I feel very safe leaving the children home by themselves even over night. Moving the Orlando area, Altamonte Spring to be exact I'm in doubt. As I mentioned I'm a singer mother, the education and safety are my priority concerns.

I guess I'm looking for moral support more then anything, I'm alone, have no family or friends...besides the one that mentioned above. Moving is a big decision and I really am in doubt.

From the research I have some idea of how much will I need for the moving and starting in a new place in such area but I have no idea how much food would three people need per month( I like to cook and the children preferred my cooking over eating out)? Is there other area should I considered for the safety reason? I'm also interest in Lake Marry, Dr. Phillips is a bit out of my range.

I'm coming to the area to check it out soon, in the mean time any feedback would be highly appreciated.

The places you mentioned are all good. I wouldn't make a decision until I figured out where I'd be working. I moved here from a small town in PA 11 years ago. IMHO, it was the best decision I made. Where are you in PA?

A few questions for you:

1) What type of work do you do?
2) Do you drive?
3) Are you looking for a house or apartment? What price range?

As food shopping, there are several good stores here to save money. Along with coupons, I'd shop at Save-A-Lot, Aldi, Walmart, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Big Lots, and Dollar Tree for everything but meat. I buy my meats at Albertson's only when they are on sale and then I stock up. We have a family of four and I spend about $400/mo on groceries.

BTW, my neighbor has been here 20 years and never locks her door. Although it's safe, I'd still advise to lock your doors. I started to leave my kids at short periods at the age of nine and they were fine. (coming home from school) Of course, we had good neighbors if there was a problem. They also had our cell numbers and they had to call when getting home and check in every so often.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:45 AM

238 posts, read 743,168 times
If you can, take the time to visit the area, check out job positions. If you do get a job, I'd recommend that you rent in an area that you like. Things that don't occur to you when visiting are like; distance to job, shopping, medical providers, traffic for examples.

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 PM

8 posts, read 20,284 times
Hello all,

Thank you so very much for the input! I'm coming to the city this coming week and I should know about the job then and BTW I always lock my doors, LOL

To BeckeyCat; I'm in Penn State area, so nice to hear that you're from PA too.

1) I'm working in wellness service sector.
2) Yes! No one can live in CA, that's where I came from previously; without driving.
3) I'll be renting at first and go from there. My ideal rental would be nice size 2br/2bth not more then $850 a month but I'm willing to pay a bit more for the nicer/safer area, environment ect.

My job fairly flexible, so I'd rather live in a better area with good school(s) and commute to work than closer to work with all the worried, of course if I can have both in one place then that's a DEAL.

Thank you again

Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
If you'd like, I can PM you the apartment complex my mom and I live in- it's in your price range for a 2 bed/2 bath. It's in Dr. Phillips and zoned for Windermere schools

Old 07-31-2010, 05:24 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
That price range is very doable. I would stick to Seminole County for good schools. There are several suburbs outside of Orlando that are very safe and nice. Some would include Altamonte Springs, Longwood, Lake Mary, Winter Springs and Casselberry. Once you have a better idea where your work is, I can point you in the right direction. While down here, I'd ride through some these areas to see what you like.

Good luck job hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando