Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times

Advertisements

So today an employee drove THROUGH our building. They crashed through the outer wall and through two rooms (one of them quite large). One of the rooms is where my computer is. By pure luck, neither myself or my coworker who shares the office was actually in that room at the time. If we had been, there is a very good chance we'd be dead. Actually, somehow no one was hurt at all, including the driver

So it really got me thinking about making plans for my cats if something happens to me. This is something that I've considered on and off over the years, but never actually put full provisions in place.

Robin is easy- she could go to any rescue group or family and be okay. The problem, as always, is JJ...he would do terribly in a group setting like a rescue group, and I don't have a single person in my life that I would trust with him. I've contacted a few blind cat rescues or special needs rescues in the past, but they're all group settings.

Let me be clear that euthanizing him upon my death is not an option, but I'd welcome suggestions for what to do with a high needs animal when your family just aren't animal people.

I also have fish, and I have no idea even how to make arrangements for them...I'll have to contact the local big aquarium store, but I hate the thought of them being resold into a bad situation.

Have you made any arrangements for your pets if something were to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:01 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,882 times
You would like to think JJ would have the right type of guardian if you up and croak suddenly. If it wouldn't be right for him to be housed in a group setting maybe it would be ok with one or two other animals with good dispositions. I wouldn't trust someone with his care that doesn't like animals so much they do not already have their own.

I think you are going to have to find someone among your friends and family that would agree to take him and sweeten it with arrangements for a lifetime health insurance policy and whatever else you can think of to lighten the burden of his care.

I hope you and JJ have many more happy years together.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
jack jack my macaw goes to my sister, he loves her they get along well it would be the best solution.

the linnies would go to my mum

the cresties would probably go to my parents but my sister would take them too if the parents couldnt

the cats, my sister and parents get to fight over lol. of my pets the cats are the easiest because there very easy going cats.
jasper my male crestie and jack jack the macaw the hardes because both have little personality quirks that would make them unsuitable for homing with anyoen they didnt know...
ruby would live wiht anyone after an ajustment period but i dont know if shed ever be actually happy...when i was gone for a week during the house signing, jasper was sad, but ruby realy fretted, she wouldnt come out of her crate.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Holy cow, glad you're OK! The ASPCA has some info and suggestions. Well, the only page I can find at the moment discusses pet trusts. I think there was a page with other ideas too, but I'll have to hunt for it.

ASPCA | Pet Trusts

Old 11-04-2011, 07:19 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
Oh my gosh! That's scary!!
I would contact your local shelters. Ask if they have something set up where you can give them a donation so they can guarantee that your cats and fish will be put up for adoption and not euthanized. Unless you know of a friend who would be willing to take on the responsibility, put them in your will. My sister is on my list, then my niece, but after that I have no one that I would trust. Good luck, and after that incident I would get my affairs in order too!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
I have sat and met with my neighbors about this. We all would be willingt o care for each other pets but we also needed to ensure that what we were doing made sense.

Our first concern was it is fine to have so and so take the animals but who cares for them immedietely after the need arise. Who will go to the house and feed them that day, take care of their needs and so on. Although my parents are more than willing to take them, they are far away in Wyoming and can't just pop over that night to care for them.

So my neigbors and I set up a care trust. The six of us are all responsibule for caring for each others animals when a death or hospilization occurs. We also ensured that the trust is funded according to the needs of each animal. I pay so much for the dog, so much for this one and so much for that one. This ensures that not only is there a person to take the pets but there are funds to care for the animal.

So if something happens to me, my neighbors can immedietely come over and bring the animals to their place, feed them, care for them and if necessary transport them to their next home. There is enough money in the trust to even make sure the next person has funds to care for that animal for a few years without being a burden on them. We read a lot about pets suffering because the new people responsible were family who took time to check in especially when they may be dealing with their own grief over this.

Also make sure whomever is your executor of the will know you have a sepereate animal care trust set up and that the will may include funding for that trust after you pass. When you look at it there are really two parts, the immediate need and the long term. Many plan for the long term such as who gets the animlas, but few have a plan in place for what happnes in the first hours or day after a tragady.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
my animals are in my will, infact they get pretty much everythign and thier "care giver" gets an allowance for their time.
I dont have much to give though...

i used to have a short term care plan, but now ive moved i need to set smething back up for immediate needs.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:20 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post

Have you made any arrangements for your pets if something were to happen?
I tried and came up empty handed. It's a constant concern of ours. None of the rescues here seem to be the kind that will last well into the future and our cats are still young - all under 3 years old. What happens if you leave these places your estate for the cats and they close up? Go out of business? What happens to the money and the cats? I couldn't get an answer.....

Old 11-04-2011, 11:21 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
my animals are in my will, infact they get pretty much everythign and thier "care giver" gets an allowance for their time.
I dont have much to give though...
Where did you find a care-giver? Is it a relative?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I didn't read through this thread again but there's discussion of places that take cats here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...xist-cats.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats