Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:15 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,845,107 times

Advertisements

After spending the first several years of her life in condos and apartments, our cat now has a fenced-in backyard to explore for a couple of hours in the morning or late afternoon, during spring and summer. Going out is the highlight of her day, but we wouldn't consider it without the fence. Too many dangers, including coyotes, and sad "lost cat" signs around where we live.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
Very pretty yard. It is just the kind that I would love to have, small , flowery and cozy . Gracie would be in heaven with an outside place she's allowed in . Are you sure that she can't get out of there, though?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-07-2008 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-06-2008, 05:10 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
Gorgeous yard! My cat would be up and over that fence in no time flat! He is able to leap buildings in a single bound......

Old 09-06-2008, 05:28 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,676 times
Well I give my Cat the best of both worlds. She goes out on my deck on the second floor and does not jump. She lays on my lounge chair and looks over edge at all the birds and Lizards. She loves it.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:29 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,676 times
She is sooo cute and looks just like my Zelda! I agree with you also. My cat loves my deck on the second floor and lays out on there for hours watching birds.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:46 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
My boys are in heaven now that they have my second-story deck to lay out on (too bad that one of them loves to eat my plants, and can't be out there without strict supervision). But, honestly, I can't see how people let their kitties outside to roam free. Too many hazards, to put it mildly.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,845,107 times
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. My wife has had to secure the bottom of the fence with rocks in places, after we saw the cat showing a suspicious amount of interest in small gaps between the fence and ground. She can't climb over the 6-foot fence anywhere, though.

Still, we tend to keep our eyes on her when she's outside. When we look at the time and decide that we need to get her in, we generally have to go and find her in her hiding places, under the plants. She won't respond to our calls. On the other hand, when the cat decides that it's time to come in, we are expected to open the patio door immediately when she meows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Very pretty yard. It is just the kind that I would love to have, small , flowery and cozy . Gracie would be in heaven with an outside place she's allowed in . Are you sure that she can't get out of there, though?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
People who keep their cats inside seem to mean well, but do they really? The freedom to roam, learn and explore is as important to cats as it is to humans. Why deny them that?
We live in the NW Atlanta metro, which is essentially a suburban forest, and dozens of cats are reported missing every year in our area.

The main reason: coyotes.

Our next door neighbor has lost three of hers in the three years we've lived here. At that rate, we'd have lost all four of the kitties we brought with us by now. No thanks! :-(

Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 PM

69 posts, read 215,076 times
I have had " outdoor access" cats for all of my adult life, in the Miami suburbs, in the suburbs of Atlanta, and now in the Chicago suburbs....we have many, many coyotes here, as well. In 25 years of letting cats out, we have only lost one cat. I neuter and spay, tag my cats, no leaving cats out at night, know my neighbors, supervise my cats as much as possible....
Coyotes generally hunt when people are not around...before dawn...also, I always make sure I know the neighborhoods we are in...loose dogs? etc. We have moved five times in the last 8 years, and my 10 year old cat has gone out in every house we have lived in...that having been said, he is a Southern cat, so refuses to go out from November to April.
I just accidentally broke one of my own rules, and let my 5 year old cat out before dawn...he was gone for TEN days, but returned safely...from now on, he is restricted to our back yard...just bought more fencing to block him in.....

Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,722,465 times
I had to respond. I mostly lurk here, but I'm a cat lover through and through. I grew up in the country and went through a multitude of cats. They only lasted a short time, either got run over, eaten by coyotes or just lost.

We've had Zöe now for one year, and I love her so. She's perfectly content inside and I feel like a responsible person in keeping her indoors, away from cars, poisons and evil people. She never tries to bolt out the door, and we've provided lots of window space for her.

And I'm sorry, but you are comparing cats to humans??? okkkaayyyy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
People who keep their cats inside seem to mean well, but do they really? The freedom to roam, learn and explore is as important to cats as it is to humans. Why deny them that? Imagine a very rich person offering you a mansion to live in and you can have anything you want but you must stay inside for the rest of your live. Who would take that deal? I didn't think so. Cats don't think so either. Seriously, if they can talk, what do you think they would say on the matter?

I think they would tell their human owners that caging them is cruel. Yes, my human owner, your house is just a big cage. Sure, it's nicer than the ones at the shelter or the zoo, but a cage is still a cage. We know you mean well and don't want us to get sick and run over, but we would be much happier if we can run outside once in a while. We notice that you don't stay inside for long unless you are sick or the car is in the shop. And we know you are very happy to be outside. We just want to be happy like you too.

I listened to mine and let them out. They were so happy and thankful that they always came home, showered me with kisses and purrs and slept in my room every night.

Last edited by DenverLawGal; 09-09-2008 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats