Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 04:06 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,791,856 times

Advertisements

People who keep their cats inside seem to mean well, but do they really? The freedom to roam, learn and explore is as important to cats as it is to humans. Why deny them that? Imagine a very rich person offering you a mansion to live in and you can have anything you want but you must stay inside for the rest of your live. Who would take that deal? I didn't think so. Cats don't think so either. Seriously, if they can talk, what do you think they would say on the matter?

I think they would tell their human owners that caging them is cruel. Yes, my human owner, your house is just a big cage. Sure, it's nicer than the ones at the shelter or the zoo, but a cage is still a cage. We know you mean well and don't want us to get sick and run over, but we would be much happier if we can run outside once in a while. We notice that you don't stay inside for long unless you are sick or the car is in the shop. And we know you are very happy to be outside. We just want to be happy like you too.

I listened to mine and let them out. They were so happy and thankful that they always came home, showered me with kisses and purrs and slept in my room every night.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:11 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
We let our wonderful calico "Pyewacket" out after a few years of her staying inside.

She seemed to really enjoy it, as could be expected. We lived in a townhome with a second-story balcony that had a big old tree right next to it. At supper time she'd climb the tree and come in.

One night a nasty thunderstorm hit the area. We were watching for her to show up but she didn't, for the longest time. Then she did...barely pulling herself up the tree with only her front paws.

She'd been hit by a car. We had to put her down, and in doing so lost one of the best cats we ever knew.

THAT'S why, with my next cat and every one after that, they'll stay inside.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:35 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,310,297 times
Why you shouldn't let your cat roam outside.

If you want to let your cat outside to roam, fine. Just make sure you find a way to keep it in your own yard. You may love your cat, but your neighbors might not appreciate your cat in their yard, digging up flower beds, etc. Personally, I have several bird feeders, and enjoy watching the birds. I've had a neighbor's cat come into my yard to hunt the birds, and it royally pi$$es me off. I love cats, but as far as I'm concerned, this was trespassing. Cats are NOT welcome in my yard.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:36 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
Cats that live outdoors live an average of 2-3 years versus many more years indoors. Cats get used to living indoors if they are happy, well-fed and spoiled. They become more family/people oriented.
Letting a cat go outdoors unattended is irresponsible. They can fall prey to cars, larger animals (dogs, coyotes)and/or injuries.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:45 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,791,856 times
SifuPhil,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Your cat was inside for a few years. She lost many of her survival skills and probably didn't know or remember what a car looks like. Outside pets take some chances for the freedom they enjoy. Indoor only cats die too, but many never enjoyed the freedom your cat did. Please take comfort in knowing that you gave her that.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:03 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Over the years we got tired of having different cats:

-getting run over, or
- killed by a neighbor's dog, or
- beaten up by another cat so one lost an eye, or
- choking to death on garbage a neighbor left out, or
- tortured by some teen aged boys, that one lived and was okay after that.
- and so on.

Keeping cats indoors, they live 12-15 years. Ours are used to being inside and quite content, thank you.

Outdoor cats live less time and the time they are outside they are more vulnerable to disease as well as the violence of unknowing animals and stupid humans.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:13 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,288,785 times
Cats are so much healthier if they live inside. I wish Gracie did not sneak outside so often (even if she does remain on the porch for the most part). They are more suspectible to parasites and disease as well as being endangered by cars and other more aggressive animals. It is not cruel to keep them safe .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-01-2008, 05:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
People who keep their cats inside seem to mean well, but do they really? The freedom to roam, learn and explore is as important to cats as it is to humans. Why deny them that? Imagine a very rich person offering you a mansion to live in and you can have anything you want but you must stay inside for the rest of your live. .........
Imagine your cat run over, hurt in a dog or cat fight, sick from parasites, harmed by teenagers with no conscience, shot by an angry neighbor, and on and on. Small price? I don't think so!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:22 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,428,752 times
As I mentioned in a previous post, our cat used to go outdoors. As a matter of fact, he actually preferred being outside. I understand the cat nature to explore, hunt etc but it certainly isn't the healthiest for the cat. Tommy, our cat, not only killed a multitude of beautiful little critters - birds, mice, bunnies, but he also got into a couple of vicious fights with other cats. He now has a permanently split right ear, the result of one of his fights. The ear was badly infected after the incident, requiring multiple vet visits. He also disappeared last summer for 5 days, as his "safety collar with tag" somehow came off during one of his escapades. I finally found him after being referred to a lost pet website. That was a lucky break because the girl who found him was planning on moving out of state 3 weeks later and was going to take Tommy with her!! Our vet highly recommended that we keep our cat indoors for his safety. When we moved to NC in April, we transitioned him being totally indoors. We now live in a townhome community with busy streets close by. I don't want him lost or hurt again. He still wants to go out and I feel badly that he meows at the door as well as tries to escape - but, I know this is better for him in the longrun. My townhouse may be his jail - but what a jail it is - 2300 sf, 3 story. His favorite spot is out on the screened in porch watching the world around him.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:45 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
A screened porch is nice to have. When I win the lottery I'll build a house with a big open "courtyard" with grass and small trees that don't reach the roof for my felines to hang out in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats