Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,486,181 times

Advertisements

Last year I was married on September 16th ( one year anniversary today). Two months later (Nov 10) my husband gave me a kitty because it was the one year anniversary of us knowing each other. So we named the kitty AC for anniversary cat. This cat was so special to me as when I got married I moved 1,200 miles away to be where my husband lived. I had to leave my other cat because he was old and I was afraid the move would be hard on him, so my daughter kept him. I also moved away from my 5 older children. So basically this cat was my little since all my kids were far away.

As all of you cat lovers know, cats are very unique and have a mind of their own. This cat was so cute, he fetched, he sat in the bathroom sink every day watching me while I got ready for work, he came when you called his name (just like a dog). He would go outside sometimes, but always stay very close to the house and never ventured out of our property (we live on 2 1/2 acres) He was an inside cat and liked to be inside most of the time.

6 days ago as usual I got ready for work, he was by my side and then when I got home from work he was gone. I have looked everywhere. Checked with shelters, neighbors etc. We live out in the country and so coyotes and owls have been known to be on our property. I looked all over the property expecting to find him dead, but he is nowhere.

I guess my question is.... Do cats disappear for weeks and then come back? Do they sometimes go hang out with other families and then realize they need to go back to where they live? I am so sad and upset over this cat being gone. My husband said we can get another cat. I don't want another one. I was my little anniversary cat.

Sorry for such a long story............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:38 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
I'm so sorry about your kitty. Has he been neutered? If not, seems he is close to a year old and may be out somewhere near a female in heat. Males who have not been neutered do wander. I am hoping this is the case and that he'll come home.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,626,881 times
I'm sorry also, but this is one of the reasons why exclusively indoor cats live longer lives.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
They can come back... I have a cat who got out and went missing for almost a week. He is neutered and got out.
I searched for him thinking he went to a neighbor's house who has outside cats but didn't find him.

One day, there he was at the back door.

He must know I am typing about him as he just jumped up on the keyboard

Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I'm so sorry about your kitty. Has he been neutered? If not, seems he is close to a year old and may be out somewhere near a female in heat. Males who have not been neutered do wander. I am hoping this is the case and that he'll come home.
He has been neutered as we adopted him from the animal shelter and he also had his shots. We were just about to get his yearly shots. He would of been a year old around the day he disappeared. I can't even type without crying.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
They can come back... I have a cat who got out and went missing for almost a week. He is neutered and got out.
I searched for him thinking he went to a neighbor's house who has outside cats but didn't find him.

One day, there he was at the back door.

He must know I am typing about him as he just jumped up on the keyboard
My cat used to do that too. Cats are very sensitive and smart. I think they know when you are talking about them

Old 09-16-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I'm sorry also, but this is one of the reasons why exclusively indoor cats live longer lives.
I agree. I had one cat for 14 years and then before that one got sick, I had the one I had to leave in utah for 11 years. They very seldom went outside. This one didn't even really ever want to go outside so, it's bizarre.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 PM

There's a chance he'll be back - maybe he's just catting around...I do the same thing.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:00 PM

maybe....do you leave for weeks at a time though

Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
maybe....do you leave for weeks at a time though
I've been known to - then come home licking my wounds and end up sleeping for days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats