Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANLEY50 View Post
Keep us posted.
Thanks, Stanley. I certainly will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I know you have been using Science Diet for dry, but I would get Fancy Feast for wet food. Science diet is not the best you can buy because of all the filler.

Let us know if the wet food helps

Old 12-03-2008, 01:04 PM

378 posts, read 1,652,699 times
Have you found out anything or is the baby better?

Old 12-04-2008, 06:57 AM

659 posts, read 1,759,657 times
I would second everyone's recommendation that you find another vet and get a second opinion. One of my girls had diarrhea for the first 6 months of her life. The first vet I went to just kept telling me nothing was wrong with her, but gave me antiobiotics. I finally switch vets, they diagnosed SEVERAL parasites, got her on the right meds and she was fine.

I ran a lab at a veterinary clinic for many years - you'd be amazed at how easy it is to run a test incorrectly. BUT - if you try another vet and all of their tests come back normal too, I'm afraid you might want to look into a sonogram or at least an xray - just to make sure there's no funny business going on.

How is his body weight? Is it normal? Does he eat normally? Several posters have suggested IBS, which could certainly be causing the problem, especially if he's vomiting, not putting on weight or not eating normally. He could also have a food allergy, but I think he'd be more likely to have diarrhea, were that the case.

Your vet's office should have some good prescription bland food for you to try to see if that clears up the problem (if you don't want to go for the platinum card option of paying for xrays and sonograms).

Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,041 times
My calico cat of 3 1/2 yrs old has some blood in her stool. Usually somewhat like diarrhea, not real looose though. The blood comes after the stool & does not happen all the time. I can't afford a vet. Is there something I could use?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:30 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Wachtler View Post
My calico cat of 3 1/2 yrs old has some blood in her stool. Usually somewhat like diarrhea, not real looose though. The blood comes after the stool & does not happen all the time. I can't afford a vet. Is there something I could use?
Please take your cat to the vet. You can't treat something when you don't know what the problem is. The longer you let it go, the more expensive it's going to be.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
vet...
if you cant afford a vet, call and try and set up a payment plan...if they wont let you do a payment plan look into a credit card or medical credit like care credit...

if you cant do any of that surrender the cat to the humane society where it can get the proper health care...
i LOVE my animals so their health comes first, if you cant afford proper care (and that includes the vet) then you need to get the cat to someone that can...

untill you know whats causing the blood you cannot treat it!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
I'm not a Vet so I only speak from experience. Blood in the stool CAN BE due to Inflammatory Bowel Disease which SHOULD BE TREATED with antibiotics and/or diet. I see the OP was 3 years ago. I wonder how this kitty is now. Having just had my Twirpy euthanized for Intestinal Lymphoma which developed from her IBD, I can't stress enough the importance of taking this cat to a VET.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:14 PM

555 posts, read 1,573,604 times
Anna had blood in her poop when we got her. It ended up being the food. Apparently the food we were giving her (Purina) had grains, which can be hard for some cats to digest. We switched to Friskies and no more red poop.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
Anna had blood in her poop when we got her. It ended up being the food. Apparently the food we were giving her (Purina) had grains, which can be hard for some cats to digest. We switched to Friskies and no more red poop.
I may be wrong but isn't Friskie's made by Purina?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats