Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:53 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times

Advertisements

As I was about to head out to run some errands, I heard a sound...it was a kitten, just looking at me helplessly, obviously hungry and alone. She came to me as soon as I kneeled down and held out my arms, started purring as soon as I picked her up. She is in my guesthouse right now, I will take her to the vet in the morning to have her checked out. Poor little thing looks to be a few months old, and is amazingly friendly and sweet. This is yet another example of why people should not be supporting cat breeders...(that puppykat thread really got me going!) PLEASE do not support these breeders, support the homeless cats & kittens who need us!!! And please, if you are fortunate enough to have financial abundance, help out by getting stray cats spayed/neutered even if you dont plan on keeping them yourself...it can be hard to catch a feral, but sometimes with a little food & persistence it can be done...I know because I have done it a few times now myself. Also, there are a lot of organizations out there who will help with the cost (& sometimes even cover it completely) to have them fixed...if we work together, we can make a difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 05:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Kudos to you for helping!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:13 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
There is a huge difference between cat/dog breeders who breed to improve the lines of their particular breed and for the all around betterment of the breed and the "puppykat" breeder,who is nothing more than another BYB. JMO of course!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:56 AM

947 posts, read 3,409,221 times
Agreed! 100% Luvmycat!

Animals are dying... like crazy. We, each of us, can only do so much.
I would do more But, need to keep quality of life for the ones that I have meaning:
good care- food, vet
good love- cuddling and playing
etc.
And I have limited funds and in small apartment...
And it is just me and out of house 40+ hrs/wk as it is...

When I am financially "better" I will do so much more!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:20 PM

Here she is...such a little beauty! Her new papa will be picking her up tonight if all goes well, and he is one lucky guy because this little lady is a sweetheart through and through!
Attached Thumbnails
Cat breeders-img_0585.jpg   Cat breeders-img_0581.jpg  

Old 02-16-2009, 04:13 PM

Oh wonderful little one Luvmycat!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
There is a huge difference between cat/dog breeders who breed to improve the lines of their particular breed and for the all around betterment of the breed and the "puppykat" breeder,who is nothing more than another BYB. JMO of course!
Yes, that Puppykat woman is a prime example of irresponsible BYB only interested in making a buck. There are too many of them out there, breeding mutt kitties/pups and trying to pawn them off as a new designer breed...very sad. There need to be stricter guidelines, and people out there need to be made aware of the problem. There are so many wonderful breeds out there and I completely agree it is important to keep them going, but there should be restrictions on how many breeders per breed and how many litters per breeder...(and IMO those numbers should depend on how many shelter animals are in need of homes as well...) too many people pass up shelter cats and dogs in favor of going through breeders...their dream cat or dog (maybe even the breed they wanted to begin with) could very well be sitting on death row. I just want people to at least check out the shelters first to make sure...if everyone did this, my guess is that a very large percentage of the animals who end up getting put down would end up in happy homes and less people would be making money doing the BYB thing.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post

too many people pass up shelter cats and dogs

in favor of going through breeders...
their dream cat or dog (maybe even the breed they wanted to begin with) could very well be sitting on death row.
I just want people to at least
check out the shelters first

to make sure...if everyone did this, my guess is that a very large percentage of the
animals who end up getting put down
would end up in happy homes
and less people would be making money doing the BYB thing.
Exactly! And people would have that "GOOD" feeling, They SAVED a Life!!!

Too many are dying...

Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
What a cutie-pie!!

Old 05-05-2012, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,096 times
To Luvmycat: In August 2010 I came out of work and a kitten across the street literally called me. He then ran over to be picked up and started purring straight away. He was the sweetest cat I had ever seen. I fell in love on the spot but as we already have three cats (and a dog) my husband wasn't too keen to have another one. I showed him to several neighbours but every time the kitten made it clear (by hiding under everything he could find) that he wanted to stay with me and only with me. In the end I decided that my husband would get used to it and took him back home. Now he's about two, he's sweet and smart, always out and about but never fights, and he loves to sleep cuddled up to a bunch of old teddybears. But here's my point: not only is the story similar to yours, the cat is identical to yours. Same color and stripes, my cat too has these "dots" on both sides of his nose and tufts of hair on his ears. He is a little smaller than "normal" cats, and I always wondered if it is some kind of breed, as he seems different: in character, appearance and behaviour. Do you perhaps know anything about it? Just out of curiosity, because he seemed so out of place in the industrial area where he found me: well fed, well behaved, approx. four months old, the classical Put-Out-Of-The-Car-Before-The-Holidays-Cat, which unfortunately here in Italy still happens. Anyway, he's better off where he is now, we love him to bits and it took my husband less than a few hours to decide too, that the kitten should stay with us forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats