Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,495,767 times

Advertisements

Clintons bid farewell to Socks the cat, age 20

The former first feline died Friday after battling throat cancer

Former First Cat Socks, one of the world’s most famous felines, died Friday at the age of 20 after battling throat cancer since November. A stray cat rescued by the Clinton's daughter, Chelsea, Socks lived in the governor’s mansion in Arkansas and later moved with the family to the White House.

"Socks brought much happiness to Chelsea and us over the years, and enjoyment to kids and cat lovers everywhere," the Clintons said in a statement, released first to PEOPLE.COM. "We're grateful for those memories, and we especially want to thank our good friend, Betty Currie, for taking such loving care of Socks for so many years."

Currie, the president's personal secretary, and her husband, Bob, took over care of Socks after the Clintons left the White House. It was near their home in Maryland that Socks was put to sleep Friday morning. "He could no longer stand and wasn’t eating," according to family friend and presidential historian Barry Landau.

Clintons bid farewell to Socks the cat- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,831 times
What a nice long life. Guess living in the White House was good for him.

Wonder why he stayed with the secretary?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
As a cat lover, I remember seeing a picture of Socks playing on the White House lawn, that was so cool.

Its always interesting to read about Presidential Pets.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I always figured once Chelsea went off to school, the parents didn't really want him anymore.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
always figured once Chelsea went off to school, the parents didn't really want him anymore

They said that Bill was "allergic" and that Socks did not get along with the new dog, but I think that you are right. I can not imagine that Bill was allergic to anything.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-21-2009, 07:15 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
I don't see any Clinton conspiracy here I have a dear old friend, Patrick the cat who will be 19 years old this July and has been through several major moves and changes with me. I imagine that Betty Currie enjoyed the company of her friend. God Bless Her

"Currie, the president's personal secretary, and her husband, Bob, took over care of Socks after the Clintons left the White House. It was near their home in Maryland that Socks was put to sleep Friday morning. "He could no longer stand and wasn’t eating," according to family friend and presidential historian Barry Landau.

Though much was made of the fact that Buddy, the family’s beloved brown Labrador retriever – who died after being hit by a car in 2002 – remained with the Clintons while Socks did not, Landau says, "The truth be known, Betty asked if Socks could come live with her. The Clintons didn’t abandon Socks. They were totally conflicted. It broke their hearts, but they knew it would be the right thing for Socks’ welfare.”

"Betty had lost a close family member and a dog and they wanted to do something nice for her," continues Landau, noting that Hillary Clinton had just been elected to the U.S. Senate.

During the family's days in the White House, Socks had become attached to Betty, with whom he spent many hours every day. "Socks was always curled up on a blue striped silk chair, next to Betty," in her office outside the Oval Office, Landau says. "Socks didn’t act like a cat. Socks was very dog-like, and Buddy and Socks got along well.” Landau adds that even visiting heads of state asked to have pictures taken with the cat.
"

Old 02-21-2009, 10:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
It sounds like Socks was really Chelsea's cat. When she couldn't take him off to college with her, the attachment between the Curries and Socks made it natural that they would take him in. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, farewell to Socks. He had a good long life.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,495,767 times
In the full article, it SEEMS that the Clinton's overly explain as to their reasons for giving away Sox. However, Sox probably had a MUCH better life living elsewhere.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:14 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times

RIP, Socks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats