Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times

Advertisements

Saturday I had to leave to visit Mom over night. (It's gross from here on out, last chance to turn back!), Five minutes before I am to walk out the door Gumbo throws up all over the hall. I really do mean all over; from one end to the other. I was surprised how much barf had come out of the cat, (imagine a five year old that ate too much at a birthday party).

Well, I don't do so well when throw up is involved so let's just say I was late getting out. I called Hubby explained about the large, huge, copious, voluminous amount of cat barf and asked him to check on Gumbo when he got off of work. I don't think he grasped the huge amount of barf that came out of a 10lb cat. He said she was fine and that there was no barf. I could just hear the eye roll he was giving me through the phone.

Sunday AM he got the surprise of his life when he awoke and found barf all over the breakfast bar, (naughty kitty knows she wasn't supposed to be there, but when Mom's away...), the table we were storing right under the bar, and all over the floor under the bar. Needless to say he was shocked, (Ya, now he believes me.) Gumbo went on to barf in the food and water dishes, on my pile of baseboard, and under the TV. (End of gross.)

So I said all of that to say after sitting up with the cat until 2AM, I get up this morning and she greets me in the hall like normal. She asks to go out, then demands to go out when I say no, and is now jumping on and off furniture like everything is fine. This just makes me nuts. Why can't this cat ever look and act sick when I take her to the vet and tell him she's sick?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Cats like to throw up.

Hairball season. Get her a good brush.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
That amount of vomitus si more than just a hairball, I think. If she does it again, you can - ugh - scoop up some in a baggie and take it in to the vet.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:08 PM

Gumbo Report: Gumbo is such a good girl, (when she is not on the breakfast bar), she got in her cat carrier, didn't complain for the car ride and even purred for the vet! She was given some fluid just under her skin so that she will hydrate, and an anti barf shot. I am to isolate her in a room with no food and water for 12 hours and if there is no barfing she can start being introduced to small amounts of food and water. If she barfs again I have to take her back for blood work.

The vet seems to think it might be something she ate, but did mention some other really scary stuff like pancreas failure. Woof he checked on the hairball thing too Southern, LOL when Toupsee reads your suggestion she is gonna kill herself laughing at the thought of me gagging while I try to scoop up barf without adding to it, (good suggestion btw). I think I feel sick already...

PS. Gumbo was alert, bright eyed and bushy tailed at the vet as predicted. I totally look like I'm making this up to those people; typical cat.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 307,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Gumbo Report: Gumbo is such a good girl, (when she is not on the breakfast bar), she got in her cat carrier, didn't complain for the car ride and even purred for the vet! She was given some fluid just under her skin so that she will hydrate, and an anti barf shot. I am to isolate her in a room with no food and water for 12 hours and if there is no barfing she can start being introduced to small amounts of food and water. If she barfs again I have to take her back for blood work.

The vet seems to think it might be something she ate, but did mention some other really scary stuff like pancreas failure. Woof he checked on the hairball thing too Southern, LOL when Toupsee reads your suggestion she is gonna kill herself laughing at the thought of me gagging while I try to scoop up barf without adding to it, (good suggestion btw). I think I feel sick already...

PS. Gumbo was alert, bright eyed and bushy tailed at the vet as predicted. I totally look like I'm making this up to those people; typical cat.
You know me so well

Old 05-18-2009, 05:00 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
Quote:

Hahaha! Don't worry, we're used to it. The surest way to cure any illness in a pet is to take him to the vet. The symptoms will magically disappear on the car ride over. I can't tell you how many times I've had exasperated owners tell me, "he's been lame for a week, I swear!" as their dog runs around the room without a limp.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
I take my boy out every morning so he can chew grass. After he has a graze, I put him in the bathtub where he has a double gack. When he's done, he climbs in bed and sleeps the rest of the day.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times
Quote:
Saturday I had to leave to visit Mom over night. (It's gross from here on out, last chance to turn back!), Five minutes before I am to walk out the door Gumbo throws up all over the hall. I really do mean all over; from one end to the other. I was surprised how much barf had come out of the cat, (imagine a five year old that ate too much at a birthday party).

Well, I don't do so well when throw up is involved so let's just say I was late getting out. I called Hubby explained about the large, huge, copious, voluminous amount of cat barf and asked him to check on Gumbo when he got off of work. I don't think he grasped the huge amount of barf that came out of a 10lb cat. He said she was fine and that there was no barf. I could just hear the eye roll he was giving me through the phone.

Sunday AM he got the surprise of his life when he awoke and found barf all over the breakfast bar, (naughty kitty knows she wasn't supposed to be there, but when Mom's away...), the table we were storing right under the bar, and all over the floor under the bar. Needless to say he was shocked, (Ya, now he believes me.) Gumbo went on to barf in the food and water dishes, on my pile of baseboard, and under the TV. (End of gross.)

So I said all of that to say after sitting up with the cat until 2AM, I get up this morning and she greets me in the hall like normal. She asks to go out, then demands to go out when I say no, and is now jumping on and off furniture like everything is fine. This just makes me nuts. Why can't this cat ever look and act sick when I take her to the vet and tell him she's sick?!
My 4 cats like to puke once in a while to keep me on my toes. I used to have weak stomach but not anymore.

A little off subject my wife has a very week stomach for puking and I got sick when she was in store shopping and I was in new truck outside. When she came out I started to barf big time and I opened door and she started too watching me and opened her door. We were in a crowded grocery store lot in front and both doors open with a puking contest. I won. We never shopped there again and we laugh about it now.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
My 4 cats like to puke once in a while to keep me on my toes. I used to have weak stomach but not anymore.

A little off subject my wife has a very week stomach for puking and I got sick when she was in store shopping and I was in new truck outside. When she came out I started to barf big time and I opened door and she started too watching me and opened her door. We were in a crowded grocery store lot in front and both doors open with a puking contest. I won. We never shopped there again and we laugh about it now.
LOL, Hubby and I have a similar story; I so sympathize. I've always had a horrible gag reflex, (to the point the dentist had to send me off to get an x-ray elsewhere because the cardboard film thingie and I didn't do well together if you know what I mean). When someone else gags I have to run for the toilet. For some reason, the husband of a certain someone I know loves to play gag just to get me to barf. Bless his heart, Hubby does cat barf cleanup when home. I knew I married him for a good reason.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 307,807 times
Talking Gag!

Quote:
LOL, Hubby and I have a similar story; I so sympathize. I've always had a horrible gag reflex, (to the point the dentist had to send me off to get an x-ray elsewhere because the cardboard film thingie and I didn't do well together if you know what I mean). When someone else gags I have to run for the toilet. For some reason, the husband of a certain someone I know loves to play gag just to get me to barf. Bless his heart, Hubby does cat barf cleanup when home. I knew I married him for a good reason.
I think every one you know likes to make you gag. You're really good at it. How sad are our lives that this is big entertainment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats