Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:41 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,237 times

Advertisements

Hi, Cat People!

My family and I adopted a loving, sweet, beautiful male cat, Milo, 2 weeks ago. He is about 14 months old. His foster mom told me that she hadn't been able to keep him indoors. He's a sneaky little thing! I tried to keep him from getting outside, but I have 4 kiddos who aren't quick enough to block him from escaping. He always returns within a few hours, so I relaxed a little about fighting with him. His constant yelling when he wants to go outside is awful. This week, I completely gave in. He walks to school with us in the mornings, then explores a little before coming home. 3 neighbors have called to tell me my cat was visiting them. They all want to keep him. He will go up to anyone. Milo even has a friend who invites him to go in and watch tv with her son. I feel bad about troubling the neighbors, but at least they like him around. I worried about him, but thought if he's an outside cat, then what can I do? He seems to have a great life. No wonder he wants to go out. Well, yesterday I received a call from a lady who said she nearly ran over him with her car. I was and still am so upset by this. One of the cats I grew up with was killed by getting hit by a car.

Sorry this is so long. I just don't know what to do. Has anyone had any luck in training a cat to walk on a leash? I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's the best thing I can come up with. I want him to be happy, and safe, too. Please feel free to share any advice or opinions you have.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,215 times
Is he neutered?? If not--do that first. Also--google CAT ENCLOSURES and see all the inventive things available for safe outdoor time. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:55 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
I say let him do his thing. My cat is indoor/outdoor and behaves very similarly to Milo, and could not be happier. I think that if you try to lock him up, he will be miserable. He might be safe but he will be miserable. And so will you.
Granted, there are some great arguments for indoor-only cats, especially if you live in a very high-traffic area or have creepy, cat-hating neighbors. But you don't. I say count your blessings and keep on doing what you are doing.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
The safest place for him is indoors. Having to explain to your kids why he was hit by a car will be difficult.
It is possible to train him to walk on leash...but it will not happen over night and most cats hate the idea. You'll see the first time you leash him. This will also not solve the problem of him scooting out the door every time you open it. He'll still be out there and vulnerable to cars, bigger predators and humans who don't appreciate cats marking in their gardens. In fact...check your town laws...it maybe illegal to have a cat roam and he could be picked up by animal control.
Best thing to do is teach him running for the door is a no-no. Make it a game for your kids to learn on how to keep him safe. JMO of course!

Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Does he have a break-away collar with his ID? I only knew my dogs got out the yard by having one killed by a car and getting that awful call from Animal Control.

I had a cat who was a stray before me and he loved to go outside. I had a leash for him that I hooked under a patio chair leg when I was working in the yard. He loved to just lie in the sun. I don't see why you can't get your guy to walk to school/back with you.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 PM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I knew there would be differing opinions and I appreciate them all. First of all, Milo would be kept locked in a bedroom until I could get him neutered if he wasn't already! But yes, he is neutered. He does wear a collar with ID and is microchipped. I'm going to give the leash thing a try. If he won't walk with us, I'll definitely try tying him up in the yard while we're out there. Wish me luck!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Hope it works out so that he is happy and you feel secure about his safety.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Sounds good!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks!

Boy, he was NOT happy about the leash! He parked his butt down on the ground and would not move. I will have to go slow on the leash training and just start with it in the back yard. I tried a different approach with our walk this morning. I encouraged him to stay with us the whole time, and he did! He hung out with us at the playground for 45 minutes, then stayed by our side as we walked home. It's the darndest thing! He is actually better off leash than my dogs are! He is now napping inside in his spot by the window.

Check out his pics in the photo thread!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:32 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,215 times
Would something like this help at all??

Suncatcher-Walk-In-Outdoor-Cat-Enclosures-Cat-Cages-Cat-Condos-Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats