Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times

Advertisements

I have 2 17 lb ragdolls and all their fur is driving the entire family batty. What would happen if I have them shaved for the summer I've seen it done for persians but my rags have such silky healthy fur and I don't want it growing back course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
All that I know is when the groomer , without asking , shaved Gracie's (the empress Maine Coon) fur into a "lion's cut", she was so mortified that she hid under the bed for weeks.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-15-2010, 05:40 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Oh...I can't imagine shaving off our 3 Raggies coats! (but I am sometimes tempted!) Since they have a very dense, thick undercoat...I'm not sure what would happen when it starts growing back. This time of year is always the worse for pets blowing their coats. I've been brushing every single day and find it helps tremendously. And Nancy is right....they would be mortified!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times
As tempting as it might be to, there are two things you need to consider:

A) there's anecdotal evidence that it can trigger behavioural problems. Newly clipped or shaved cats in a multi-cat household will often start attacking one another. It's thought (but not a proven theory, no) that it has to do with visual recognition - ie, they don't recognise each other and think there's a stranger in their midst. In other words, no one know why it sometimes happens, but it does. Why go looking for head-aches?

B) Coats provide insulation from heat as much as from cold. An insulated cat is far better equipped to deal with any temperature changes - and considering that your cats are probably in an air-conditioned environment, you need to consider how cold that it for a "naked" animal.

As much of a pain as it is, you just need to brush and brush and then brush again.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:58 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,261 times
I shaved my ragdoll four times this past summer. Unlike other cat coats that are shaved, her shaved coat looked GREAT, not choppy (cat coats rarely look nice and even shaved down). She was still incredibly soft and it grew out really nicely. It was a welcome break from the hair, grew back in time for the cooler weather and she looked really cute. It wasn't shaved all the way up to her jawline, but more behind the front legs. Haha, she managed quite nicely in the air-conditioned environment being a 'naked' animal Now that she is grown back out, I brush daily with a long-handled flea comb...it is the best for getting the most loose hair out

Old 03-19-2010, 04:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have 2 17 lb ragdolls and all their fur is driving the entire family batty. What would happen if I have them shaved for the summer I've seen it done for persians but my rags have such silky healthy fur and I don't want it growing back course.
We had a male ragdoll for over 7 years, well over 20 lbs. He was one, big, gorgeous, powder puff for sure! We never did shave him, but we brushed him a lot and gave him a bath every once in awhile....(and what a ton of fun that was!)

Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Groomers don't really shave a pet like a man shaves his face, down to the bare skin. They leave a short amount of fur. I had to have a "lion cut" given to my elderly boy before he died b/c he could not groom himself anymore and his fur was matted underneath befroe I noticed how bad it was. He looked funny and seemed to feel it!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,139,909 times
It's a good idea for the summer...if you're prepared for some dirty cat looks,,,

Old 04-20-2010, 07:36 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
As tempting as it might be to, there are two things you need to consider:

A) there's anecdotal evidence that it can trigger behavioural problems. Newly clipped or shaved cats in a multi-cat household will often start attacking one another. It's thought (but not a proven theory, no) that it has to do with visual recognition - ie, they don't recognise each other and think there's a stranger in their midst. In other words, no one know why it sometimes happens, but it does. Why go looking for head-aches?

B) Coats provide insulation from heat as much as from cold. An insulated cat is far better equipped to deal with any temperature changes - and considering that your cats are probably in an air-conditioned environment, you need to consider how cold that it for a "naked" animal.

As much of a pain as it is, you just need to brush and brush and then brush again.

Words of wisdom! As a groomer I have heard stories about cats getting into fights after a shave down. And personally I hate doing cats. It's dangerous (their skin is like paper) and they just HATE it. It's not like dogs where some love it and some are nervous and just need to be babied. Cats just hate it. Cats (maybe one in a million) can be consoled.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:16 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
All that I know is when the groomer , without asking , shaved Gracie's (the empress Maine Coon) fur into a "lion's cut", she was so mortified that she hid under the bed for weeks.
I just had my Maine Coon shaved for the summer. She's just the opposite; Kitty thinks she's hot Moderator cut: language removed with her new do. The other cats kind of stare and his, or just run away.

The groomer called to tell me my cat was very belligerent and was very uncooperative during the entire process and she bites hard. The only reason this happened is because she was stuck in a cage all day with a bunch of barking dogs, of course the cat would be scared.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-20-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats