Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 AM

109 posts, read 658,934 times

Advertisements

I'm at whits end with my girls. They are 4 years old and we have had them since they were 3 months old. They have this thing for chewing my power cords, especially laptop and cell phone chargers. I've tried those plastic cord protectors but they will tare those off to get to the cord. At this point we have spend DOUBLE in lap top cords as the laptop actually cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,480,481 times
I got some nylon mesh tubes from Home Depot (I think) that you can wrap around your cords and velcro together. My cats still try to pick at them with their claws but they can't chew on them.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:16 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,434,642 times
Have heard that Bitter Apple (get the tube, not the spray bottle) may work for wires and furniture - it's supp. to discourage chewing in puppies, not sure if it would work the same for cats but it's worth a try. Also if you catch them in the act, have a water spray bottle ready and you can spritz them once w/ it, instant correction, give them a verbal warning first so they have a chance to stop, if not Im sure they'll make the connection.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM

bitter apple tubes did nothing. I very rarely catch them in the act and when I do I just say their name and they dash off. They know they are not supposed to be doing this and usually do it when I'm sleeping or not at home.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times
Cats don't usually like anything citrus flavored or scented. Look for some orange or lemon scented spray-on stuff.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:19 PM

151 posts, read 326,501 times
I used Tobascco sauce....unfortunaltely it ATE through the cords itself. I do NOT reccomend this one.
Bad Kitty. She has sort of ourgrown it. I used a squirt bottle a LOT - now I just need to sheke it at her.
Sorry & good luck.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Yeah citrus does not work, they like that. I have strange babies. They like to chew on tape, and the stickyer the better. One of them made it harder then heck to pack before we moved last year because at night she would pull all the tape off the boxes then walk around the house with it stuck to her face! She just loves chewing on tape. ugh...

Old 03-16-2010, 04:05 PM

511 posts, read 2,200,970 times
Try a can of "Stay Off" training spray for cats & dogs. My dog & cat both hate the smell of it. I used it when Riley was a puppy- it worked great! & I have recently been using it to train Loki to stay out of the window sills- so far so good. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 PM

827 posts, read 3,096,909 times
The problem sounds familiar! I have a male cat who loves thin wires. He's chewed my camera USB wire, our cell phone chargers and our cordless phone chargers.

Now we charge our cell phones in the bathroom and close the door and also keep the new camera cord in a closet where he can't get to it and only take it out as needed and as for our cordless phones (we have a few that are compatible), I use 1 charger for all of them and rotate them. I know, it's crazy but I feel the same way as you...tired of spending so much $$ for new cords.

At Christmastime I had my Santa & Mrs. Clause in my window and put those plastic wire things around the cords and I was surprised that he left it alone. He only likes thin cords so he's not attracted tothe laptop cord. Thank goodness.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:16 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,234,198 times
The plastic tubes have worked great for us. I have one cat who chewed on every cord until we got those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats