Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times

Advertisements

Since I'm unemployed, I'm going to take my furkid in for a free exam. I know Banfield isn't the best, but I don't plan to pay for anything.

I tried to cut and paste the coupon, but it didn't work. The link is inside the blog, "Frugal, Freebies and Deals." I can email it to anyone that wants it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 01:38 PM

The bait and switch business won't work on me. They can invent all they want, but it's advertised as a free office visit and exam, and that's what I'll get.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:45 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
but I don't plan to pay for anything.
With all sincerity, better odds of us slipping by the TaxMan in April, and him never catching up

Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 PM

So what does the Tax Man think he's going to get from my cat? How does this pertain to a free vet visit and exam by Banfield Pet Hospital? They're offering a free office visit and exam - I'll take it. But I don't plan to pay for any "extras." If they inisist, I'll make an appointment and then cancel it.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
Heck I'd take advantage of it too. You already know they are probably going to try to get you on some "extras" like bloodwork so you are prepared to say no. But I am sure they will find people who will go for it and that's why it is worthwhile for them to make this offer.

Let us know if they try something!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,876 times
Tax post was (an attempt at) humor, Learned the hard way about different types of vet practices when we relocated, hence the different rep comment.
If your thoughts from post 2 had been expressed in original post, I wouldn't have said anything in rep.

It's "vets" like this that give the profession a black eye, hence their reputation. Too many true, great veterinarians out there who are worthy of the client visits which instead the above is luring in with such gimmicks.

(True, very worthwhile for them. But how about those pet owners already stretching their paychecks thinking "Wow, can't resist!" and some wonderful, independent veterinary practice suddenly has less clients.) Such are out of business in my current area (bought out), so apologies for my strong feelings regarding this topic.

Last edited by Travel'r; 03-28-2010 at 07:19 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 PM

I have a referral to a local vet who comes highly recommended, but I haven't been able to take my furkid in for an exam due to not having a job. So when I saw the coupon for the free office visit and exam, I thought I'd just take advantage of it. I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T try to get me for more money.

I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment for this week for an exam. I'll let them make me another appointment for more procedures, but for the next week. All I have to do is call and cancel it.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
I've been to a Banfield practice before...hold on tight to your wallet. And if they say anything is wrong, get a second opinion! And if they say everything is ok, get a second opinion. I don't trust them and with good reason. I know I shouldn't feel that way about ALL of the Banfield practices but I do. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. And please don't think I'm being preachy or anything. I would just hate for someone to go through what I did.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:14 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I've been to a Banfield practice before...hold on tight to your wallet. And if they say anything is wrong, get a second opinion! And if they say everything is ok, get a second opinion. I don't trust them and with good reason. I know I shouldn't feel that way about ALL of the Banfield practices but I do. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. And please don't think I'm being preachy or anything. I would just hate for someone to go through what I did.
I tend to agree. But my daughter takes her dogs to Banfield because of pet insurance. Mostly just the regular checkups but once on a weekend when they noticed their Jack Russell was having bowel problems. They did do a GI series and found a blockage. My daughter saw the X-rays. They gave her some medicine and kept her to see if what was there would pass and it did, with thankfully no damage. But if she would have needed surgery they would have gont to another vet. And it didn't cost them an arm and a leg.

She wasn't happy to take the dog there for something serious but that's what was open where they live on the weekend. And it worked out. But same dog needed surgery on her leg for a genetic defect and they went elsewhere.

Second opinions with anything serious is a wise decision and making sure you know what is going on is necessary.

While other decent vets need business, if you have no money there isn't much you can do. And at least the OP is taking care of his furkid the best way possible.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 PM

I'm not buying pet insurance, I'm not getting second opinions, they're not going to get any money out of me, and I don't plan to keep Banfield as my vet. I stated above that I'm only going to get the free office visit and exam. I have a vet that was highly recommended to me that I will take him to if he needs medical care.

My furkid was an abandoned cat. He was left behind with several others some years ago, and the manager had been feeding them because he felt sorry for them. When I moved in, I started feeding them, and one of them decided he wanted to be an indoor cat and live with me. He came in on his own terms, I didn't force him to come in, and it took him six months. He came in one day and stayed. He's very happy now, and has no interest in going back to his former life. He eats Blue Buffalo and Innova Evo dry food, and Wellness, Blue Buffalo and Merrick canned food, and of course he shares my dinner. He's not lacking for anything, but at 15lbs he thinks he starving, and he loves his people food. But his two buddies are still outside, prefer to be outside, and they know that there's a cereal bowl of Purina Cat chow on my back porch for them every day.

I lost my job in January of 09, and am just coming off unemployment. I'm now working three security jobs - one full time, two part-time, and will be doing it until the federal goverment rehires me (I have reinstatement eligibility as an Administrative Assistant/Secretary)

I haven't had the finances to take him to the vet to get looked at, and I've had him for 1 1/2 years. But he's had no problems, and if he did, it would have been taken care of. I used to do cat rescue long ago, and can treat minor problems myself.

I also don't have the finances to go the doctor myself if I get sick. I go to Mexico and buy antibiotics. When the governement rehires me, and I don't have to work three jobs, my furkid and myself will get our doctors. I have a little bit of money saved for an emergency, and that's exactly what it's for. I make sure that my rent and bills are paid every month, and what's left over goes for food. I stock up whenever possible.

Also, I'm not a he, I'm a she. So have I made myself clear on the situation?

Last edited by moved; 03-28-2010 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats