Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 30,862 times

Advertisements

I recently switched my girls to Halo dry food. They are eating it but they seem to eat less than before. Is it normal for these holistic foods to make cats more satisfied and eat less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,443 times
My cats love that stuff, & yes, they seem to eat less of that than they do of their old food.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,830 times
My cats love it but they seem to eat more of it. Must taste good - the dog likes it, too!

I ran out of Spot's Stew last week and got them a small bag of Meow Mix. They were not amused.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Missladybug15, I will keep my post short and sweet. Cats are not meant to eat dry food. They are obligate carnivores which means cats eat ONLY meat. Meat. Meat. Meat. Not carbohydrates. End of post.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times
true.. I'll bet this poster will post about her cats having dental issues 5 or 10 years down the down... saying help me what do I do now.

Good canned or raw food is a must.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 AM

6 posts, read 30,862 times
Gardener of Eden and Panther Pride, thanks for your nasty response. I am new to this board and came on here for help with my cats. You have been nothing but degrading and not nice. I understand your view on canned and raw food, however if my cats choose not to eat either, what can I do??? Thanks to you I will not be returning to this board again.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
.....said very quietly.......My post was not meant to be nasty. I spoke truth and that is all. It truly is a shame you are leaving here, for there are some very knowledgeable people here. And the basics for any cat is to feed that cat meat. That is all I said.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times
we dont mean to be nasty. i'm sorry too.. its not your fult its the pet food companies fult.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:05 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missladybug15 View Post
I am new to this board and came on here for help with my cats. You have been nothing but degrading and not nice. .
In your two previous threads, both regarding your cat's food, Garden was most gracious in her responses, actually being the first to respond in BOTH threads.
//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...l#post12816826

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...-dry-food.html

Dr Pierson's catinfo.org has tips on transitioning stubborn cats' foods. That link, too, was provided in your other thread.

Yes, cats are, indeed, obligate carnivores. There's just NO way around that fact so you may wish to research it (feline) a little, to see for yourself if you do not believe the information already provided in all three threads.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
No one's attacking you, missladybug!

What they've all said is true, and I take it silently in with a laugh. We've got some die-hards here. On the forum, I am always very positively educated on what is best for my kitties. Does it always fit my budget when I'm stopping by the store on the way home? - no. But it doesn't change the fact that my kitties would be healthier on raw meat rather than the crap kibble lining the shelves. I am in the process of switching 4 very determined kitties over to an entirely wet-food lifestyle. It's more than others have done, but on the same hand it's far less than others achieve, too. Set your own pace. But don't take out your frustrations on the ones that are running the race along side you!

I feel better in knowing what is best for them through scientificly documented data and reports and research, even if I am not able to implement it to the extreme that a few of the posters here can and do, willingly, on a daily basis. No one will judge you for it here, only educate and encourage. And if you take it as an attack, it's because you're on the defensive. Please don't be.

We all mean well, and we all want what's best for our kitties. Otherwise we wouldn't be here. There are new and interesting (and sometimes horrifying) facts that are popping up every day about one kind of brand versus another, compared to a toxic chemical being released it one, hand in hand with an entire company being sued over pet deaths and recalls - and why. And these are all things that are relevant to our pets' well being and happiness, and that is why I come here. Not to chastise, not to advertise, but to learn from my fellow posters, and compare to those accordingly. And if you'd rather never come back to this forum under such pretenses, well, that's okay too.

Maybe we should all take this as a gentle reminder that, even though we have differing opinions, and don't have a problem with voicing ours for what's best for cats, we should also try to adress the original question the OP proposes to begin with when we're done , which would be...
Is it normal for these holistic foods to make cats more satisfied and eat less?

I've read that it has something to do with the water. Normal kibble is nothing more than corn puffs sprayed with meat juice, and it actually causes cats to eat more, never feel full, and dehydrate them at the same time! - So I assume (but I don't know, mine aren't on holistic... yet!) that when you switch them, not only will they eat less (because adapting to a new food takes time, an aquired taste, if you will) but it also cuts down on the amount of water they drink too. Mine throw a fit everytime I change their food, but I've also discovered that I'm overfeeding them as it is!! I hope this helps. I'm glad they're eating it, period. My eldest turns up her nose and would probably starve herself if I went overboard and out of her "comfort zone' of what she deems as acceptable food. hehe.

Peace to you and your kitties.

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 03-28-2010 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats