Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:25 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,821 times

Advertisements

I have discovered recently that when I'm not home that my cat sits on a box inside of a dark closet. He has a large apartment to roam around, birds and trees outside so I find this odd.

Does anyone else's cat sit in the closet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times
How do you know he sits in there all day? Maybe he's just taking his late afternoon nap in there when you get home? My cats have always liked esconced positions--under the bed, in the laundry basket etc...but won't spend all day there.

Last edited by Orangeish; 04-16-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
Funny, my cat just came into the office and asked to be let into "her" closet.

She has ~3 or 4 places she likes to sleep and she seems to rotate them. This month it's either this closet or my bed. Next month she might pick the den or the dog's bed. I'm not sure if she has a set schedule of some sort, of if she's just acting on a whim. Kitties are funny.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:46 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,986 times
I have one cat, that unless I have the door closed, she pretty much stays in my bedroom the entire time, except to eat and use the litter box. You would think that after 15 years she wouldn't be skittish to come out and join society, I mean me, my spouse, 2 other cats, and a dog. Sometimes I'll bring her out on the porch or on the couch, and that'll last but a few minutes, then her belly goes flopping back and forth into the bedroom.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
When cats sleep, they often seek out a spot that is very secure; I think it has to do with instinct--they're sleeping and want to make sure that nothing can sneek up and attack them when they're vulnerable. When you're home, your cat probably feels more secure and roams about (and has also spent a lot of the day sleeping).

My cat exhibits the same kind of behavior but she usually does it outside. I will call for her to come in and will see her scamper out from the bushes, which provide a lot of cover, shelter and shade. When she's inside, one of her preferred spots is under a chair surrounded by (protected/blockaded on all sides by) shoes *lol*

In short, your cat is totally normal.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
In short, your cat is totally normal.
Is any cat truly "normal"?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:13 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Nothing odd about it. Cats like close, cozy small spaces to curl up and nap. Mine love to go into my closet, open up cabinets and seek out dark, secluded spots. Then they do a turn around and use their cat trees or my bed. Just being cats!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 31,700 times
Default Kitty Biodata

Your cat is probably fine. cats are nocturnal--that is, they are naturally active at night and sleep all day. pet cats' activity in the daytime is purely for our convenience. also, it is natural that cats seek dark spaces, including inside closets (and boxes). that's how Cattus spread all over the world, by jumping uninvited into the holds of ships, shipping crates, etc.

the fact that cats meld well into human society is why they make good pets. sure, they catch vermin, and that has been one of the reasons given by sailors, urban and rural families, and others for keeping cats, but snakes also catch vermin and nobody willingly carries pet snakes on board ships or lets them nest in their kitchens. cats are good company.

in general, cats are rigid in their behavior. they like to be at the same places at the same times every day. if you check your cat at 10:00 and find she is in a closet, the odds are that she will be in a closet at 10:00 tomorrow.

Stupid Cat Joke:
# "Why do cats have such an attitude?"
@ "Its because they are famous. Everybody knows their name."
# "What name?"
@ "Kitty, of course."

Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Is any cat truly "normal"?
Point taken Someone should actually start a thread about all of the weird things that cats do, like stalking their human caretakers as if they were rodents. In fact, I relish the moments when my cat is fast asleep in a bush (or closet) somewhere b/c it means she has taken a break from plotting my untimely demise

Old 04-16-2010, 01:02 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,596 times
I have one cat like likes to be in the closet all the time. It's her spot. The other one goes in and out in and out. But his spot at the moment is the window. I only have one cat that likes the surface. But he's always on kitchen duty.

My one that likes the closet hauls her toys in and starts playing with them in the middle of the night sometimes. So much for sleep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats