Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,699,642 times

Advertisements

I have 3 cats: 2 kittens who are 10 months old, and 1 adult who is 11 years old. Since all the cats eat on demand, our older cat eats kitten food. He's gaining too much weight, so I was hoping to switch back to regular food. Is 10 months too young for the kittens to eat adult food? On the kitten food package, it says to feed it to kittens for the first year. Both kittens are good size though, so I'm hoping to get them all on the same food now. Any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 11:43 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
As long as it's a high quality-high protein adult food they're moving to, it's fine for the 10 month old kittens to eat it. Kitten food is kind of a holdover from the days when adult cat food was a much lower quality and a kitten or nursing female genuinely needed the extra calories and protein from a special formula.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:57 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,002,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I have 3 cats: 2 kittens who are 10 months old, and 1 adult who is 11 years old. Since all the cats eat on demand, our older cat eats kitten food. He's gaining too much weight, so I was hoping to switch back to regular food. Is 10 months too young for the kittens to eat adult food? On the kitten food package, it says to feed it to kittens for the first year. Both kittens are good size though, so I'm hoping to get them all on the same food now. Any advice? Thanks!
Eating-on-demand or free-feeding dry kibble isn't the best way to feed cats. It's causing, along with grain filled kibble, a lot of obesity and other serious health issues in cats. Switch them to a good quality grain free canned food. There are also better kibbles out there that are expensive but better than the usual supermarket fare. Free-feeding is still a problem with all too many cats.

Here's some good links to start you off:
Feline nutrition information:
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi
History of dry food (a must-read article):
Cat Nutrition.Org (http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php - broken link)
Incestuous Pet Food Regulation Allows Consumers to Feed their Pets Ring Dings and Krispy Kremes
YourDiabeticCat.com - Helping and Preventing Feline Diabetes
Diabetes and Obesity: Preventable Epidemics (Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM)
Canned Cat Food - THE Staple for a Nutritious Diet for Cats

Old 05-25-2010, 01:08 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,699,642 times
Thanks to you both! I've always free-fed my cats, but I may try controlled feeding if my older cat doesn't lose weight once I switch to the adult food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats