Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:45 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times

Advertisements

Why should renters (or people in apartments)not have pets? I've heard this said before and think it's silly to assume that renters are irresponsible or don't deserve the same as anyone else. The days of owning a home are disappearing fast. The way this world's economy is going, pretty soon we'll all be lucky to have a roof over our heads, rented or not.
And landlords who demand declawing are to be put on a list so others don't rent from them. I think it's unreasonable to demand this. How would they like their fingernails pulled out?
I understand them trying to protect their property but that's going too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 07:22 AM

577 posts, read 2,059,879 times
When I was growing up it was a pretty common practice to have cats declawed. Out of the many cats we had back then (okay, I'm old and it was the 70s and 80s) we never had a behavioral issue with a cat after it was declawed. The cats didn't seem unhappy or in pain afterward once the paws healed.

I'm not advocating declawing but it was surprising to me a few years ago when I started reading about how bad it is considered now. I've read about the procedure and while it seems ugly and cruel when you read from the anti-declawing people's point of view, so does plastic surgery for humans and we do that sort of thing all the time.

Again, I'm not advocating I'm just saying it's weird to have this new common point of view of it being cruel. I'm just wondering what about the procedure changed in the last 10-20 years to influence the new point of view.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:37 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
I don't see how you could think that amputating the last digit of each toe of an animal, for such shallow reasons, is not cruel. Cats are easily trained to scratch appropriately, claws can be clipped to dull the sharp points, even claw covers are available. To declaw a cat for any reason other than a legitimate medical one is certainly cruel in my book, and for a LL to require it shows that they are really ignorant about felines. The sorts of litterbox issues which are a known potential side effect of a declaw are far worse for a rental than any potential damage the claws can do.

I've never had any LL try to require that, I would definitely walk if anyone ever tries. There are plenty of places here with reasonable pet rules that don't require me to mutilate my beloved pet.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:17 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
When I was growing up it was a pretty common practice to have cats declawed. Out of the many cats we had back then (okay, I'm old and it was the 70s and 80s) we never had a behavioral issue with a cat after it was declawed. The cats didn't seem unhappy or in pain afterward once the paws healed.

I'm not advocating declawing but it was surprising to me a few years ago when I started reading about how bad it is considered now. I've read about the procedure and while it seems ugly and cruel when you read from the anti-declawing people's point of view, so does plastic surgery for humans and we do that sort of thing all the time.

Again, I'm not advocating I'm just saying it's weird to have this new common point of view of it being cruel. I'm just wondering what about the procedure changed in the last 10-20 years to influence the new point of view.
This is precisely the attitude that results in declawing.

Of course the animals adapt. If you cut a leg off or blinded them they would be sweet easily controlled animals. That is not at all the point. The point is that declawing is maiming, its wrong, cruel, misguided. If I wasn't a libertarian I would want the government to make it a crime equal to dog fighting.

Please, lets just stop making excuses about this.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:17 AM

88,510 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I've never even heard of this--a rental requiring that cats be declawed.

Wow.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
I worked in an animal hospital in the 60s and 70s in NYC. You didn't get to see the ones with complications. Infections. Loss of toes or entire paws. You didn't see the SUFFERING the cat endured. It's well known many suffer pain in there paws the rest of their lives. Some will no longer use a litter pan as the litter hurts their deformed toes. It's also well known some become almost recluse or become biters. I learned that volunteering in a shelter and fostering cats in those days. It's cruel. It's an amputation, a mutilation and it cannot be undone.

Quote:
There's no comparison to human plastic surgery done to enhance or help the person. The human also chooses the surgery and their fingers and toes are not amputated leaving them defenseless and often in constant pain. Don't compare the two. The cat would never chose mutilation on it's own. As time passes people become more aware of the TRUTH, not only about the worthless dry kibble cat food out there, but the complications and life long pain concerning de-clawing. And need I remind you the cat is left defenseless?

Quote:
The internet helped get the truth out there just as it's getting the truth about cheap kibble food and the harm it's doing to cats. The problems with free-feeding. Too many carbs in the cat's diet. More of us who worked or work in Animal Hospitals and Shelters are willing to talk about these things.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:37 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
If you couldn't have a cat with claws in your retnal, would it be more humane to leave it at the shelter where it would be euthanized or keep the cat and have it de-clawed? A year ago last February a very small and frail black cat came to my front door meowing and walking as if it were hurt. I brought the cat in doors and warmed it up and feed it. The cat was skin and bones and acted like it was starving. I took it to a Vet to have it checked over and found out it hadn't been injured recently. I paid the Vet bill and advertised the cat as lost. When no one called I contacted the humane society and they said the likelyhood of anyone giving this cat a home was remote, and the cat would be euthanized within a week. So I had to make the decision I'm asking CD readers in my first sentence. What would you do? I own my home, I don't rent. This cat is alive and well taken care of. She is smart and one of the best pet I have ever owned, and I've had many dogs & cats in my life. Her back legs don't work well from some previous injury or something in her life. She can run and once running she can jump up onto furniture, otherwise she can't get onto our sofa. She spends lots of time in my lap every evening and wakes me every morning, and during the day when she isn't sleeping she follows me around the house. She isn't the kitten we first thought, she is three years old, but very small for an adult cat. Since coming to my front door, this cat has had everything in life a cat could possibly hope to have, except her front claws. I had her declawed rather than allowing her to be put to sleep. While her feet were healing I administered pain killer as the Vet directed. I didn't know at the time what all went in to declawing a cat. I've asked myself, would I do it again?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:07 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.
DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

Old 05-29-2010, 03:25 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
Default Annoyed - re: declawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.
DECLAWING: What You Need to Know
I'm well aware of what is involved with declawing a cat. I've spent sometime studying xrays of cat paws and other bone structure, and know exactly what is involved. I've also spent a great deal of time trying to find out why cats are like they are. I didn't take lightly putting my cat through this. But, I would rather put her through it and have the great joy of this cat than allowing her to be euthanized, which is what would have happened if I would have taken her to the animal shelter. When she came to my door, she had a new bright red collar on. The humane Society said many times people do this so people who find that cat will think it is not just another stray and care for it. I didn't think this cat would survive if I took it to the Humane Society because of it's run down frail condition. I was able to give her individual care and make sure she had enough to eat and a warm place to stay. She is the best behaved cat I've ever had. I might also add, I've donated quite a chuck of money to one of our local cat shelters (not Humane Society) and when I go there to visit, have free run of the entire facility.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:42 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I'm well aware of what is involved with declawing a cat. I've spent sometime studying xrays of cat paws and other bone structure, and know exactly what is involved. I've also spent a great deal of time trying to find out why cats are like they are. I didn't take lightly putting my cat through this. But, I would rather put her through it and have the great joy of this cat than allowing her to be euthanized, which is what would have happened if I would have taken her to the animal shelter. When she came to my door, she had a new bright red collar on. The humane Society said many times people do this so people who find that cat will think it is not just another stray and care for it. I didn't think this cat would survive if I took it to the Humane Society because of it's run down frail condition. I was able to give her individual care and make sure she had enough to eat and a warm place to stay. She is the best behaved cat I've ever had. I might also add, I've donated quite a chuck of money to one of our local cat shelters (not Humane Society) and when I go there to visit, have free run of the entire facility.
I'm not following you. Why did you have to have it declawed? From your first post, your own your home so what was the motivator? Why was it declaw or shelter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats