Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:26 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times

Advertisements

What's up with this uptight chain smoker??

Geeez.........
Quote:

Anthony Bourdain, Paula Deen: Food Fight : People.com

What is it they say about too many cooks?

Clearly the celebrity kitchen's not big enough for at least two TV chefs: Anthony Bourdain and Paula Deen.

Bourdain, the bestselling author and host of Travel Channel's No Reservations, triggered a food feud by blasting the queen of down-home Southern cooking in a TV Guide interview.

"The worst, most dangerous person to America is clearly Paula Deen," Bourdain, 55, says. "She revels in unholy connections with evil corporations and she's proud of the fact that her food is f------ bad for you. Plus, her food sucks."

Deen, 64, responded on Fox and Friends by saying, "I was actually kind of shocked considering I've never met Anthony," and wondering why "such harsh words could be used."

Paula Deen Blasts Back After Anthony Bourdain Calls Her the "Most Dangerous Person to America" - YouTube

Paula was very gracious about this....What a jerk! Smokes constantly and he's calling her cooking dangerous???

Smoking ... Losing Breath, Anthony Bourdain - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 06:02 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Go Tony! I have held that opinion for a long time. Tony is right, her food is unhealthy.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
You'all it's her chalk board, old southern country voice and grammer that turns me off. Can't stand to listen to her.

As for Bourdain, if he wants to smoke himself to death, it won't be any great loss.

I could care less about either one of them.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Yes, her food is not healthy, with all that butter, but it is good, and high cholesterol may not be any worse than smoking and drinking. Deen is a little too cheesy for me to watch, but Bourdain's show this season has been boring so I have been recording it and barely managing the first few minutes.

I'll stick to Guy Fieri.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
I much prefer Bourdain than Paula, but imo here's the thing: Paula does love her butter, but no one is supposed to cook/eat what they don't like or think is not healthy.
There is something called remote control and there is also something called credit card, thus people are free to watch and consume whatever they prefer.

For example, a poster mentioned Fieri. I really don't like his style or his shows. I don't watch them and buy nothing he sells. But I understand he has fans, and if they like him, good for them!

On that note, Paula also has a big fan base, and if they like her food, all the power to them!

Bourdain smokes a lot but this has got nothing to do with his cooking!
He is a very knowledgeable chef and really knows his way around a kitchen.

People should really mind their own business and stop the bickering.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,901 times
I thought Bourdain quit smoking!

I know he has a long history of speaking and writing his mind about the whole "stand and stir" style cooking shows. He was anti-celebrity for the longest time...but found himself wearing the same shoes. He has leveled pot shots at almost the entire Network Food line up.

How could anyone NOT mock the "personalities" on that channel anymore...really.

I vaugely recall him referring Sandra Lee to "Betty Crocker on crack." Well...if the shoe fits.

And I like Paula Deen in small doses. She is quite charming. Couldn't sustain life very long on her food, but for Bourdain to start calling people on unholy corporate unions....does he forget who sponsors his own TV shows and those he has appeared on?

Even though he doesn't have his own line of cigarettes or ceramic cookware at Kohls (made in China), that's a bit disingenuous.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Not impressed with Anthony Bourdain, why be so mean? What has Paula done to him? He has gone down in my book, really...I thought he was okay before...but no one needs to be so mean. Methinks he is a "Jelly Bean"...Paula with her "crap" food is WAY more successful than him, he does not have his own show...

Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
he does not have his own show...
Actually, he does.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
he does not have his own show...
He has a very compelling and successful show on the Travel Channel...called No Reservations.

I love it.

But yeah, he's not for everyone. His anti-celebrity veneer grew kinda old on me as well, but I still think he makes up for it through his (seemingly) sincere sense of humanity for the people he worked with in his kitchens and the people that he visits. He is always gracious, if not snarky and sarcastic at times. Something tells me that might be veneer for the camera, but he typically pulls it off.

I tend to think he bags on his food celebrity peers because he sees them as less than sincere. It's a shame because his show and status can stand without being cruel. But sometimes...a spade is a spade.

He's like anyone else...flawed.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:08 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Anthony Bourdain is as big of a plutocratic corporate shill as they come. Pot kettle black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities