Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 AM

455 posts, read 651,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Wow, thats GaGa? Amazing, too bad she went the opposite way to gain fame and fortune. I think if she had stayed like that video and not gone outlandish like she has, she would be liked and respected a whole lot more.
If she would have stayed like that then she mostly likely would not have the fame that she has now.

Sex + Craziness = sells a lot Lady gaga, Madonna, etc.

Talent + Normality = lots of die hard fan, some fame and $... Sade, Norah Jones, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
I'm 43 and I don't hate her. To me, she's today's Madonna with an uglier face and body (compared to Madonna in her prime) and much more talent than Madonna ever had.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm 43 and I don't hate her. To me, she's today's Madonna with an uglier face and body (compared to Madonna in her prime) and much more talent than Madonna ever had.

I am older, and I am not telling how old, but I agree with you.
She has a pretty good voice, but at my age, her music seems almost juveinille to me, as does Madonna's new album, it is God awful

Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
If she would have stayed like that then she mostly likely would not have the fame that she has now.

Sex + Craziness = sells a lot Lady gaga, Madonna, etc.

Talent + Normality = lots of die hard fan, some fame and $... Sade, Norah Jones, etc.

Her below average looks would make is close to impossible to even achieve Sade, Norah Jones success, they are very attractive women, and that has become important in the music industry. If she were to just be plain old Stephanie, she would likely be playing bars with a few die fans while working a day job. It's so hard to get recording contracts without model looks unless the artist is outlandish, or has something else going for them that helps them stand out, talent just isn't enough these days. Lady Gaga did what she needed to do to get her music heard by a wide audience.

Last edited by detshen; 05-10-2012 at 04:27 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
I haven't read the posts so I'm just responding to the thread title.

I can't really say that I hate her. I have no reason to hate her, I've never met her and as far as I know she's never done anything to me.

That being said, she can fade away any time now. Just another electronically-enhanced average singer who has gained attention by wearing some goofy outfits and making a few controversial statements.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I haven't read the posts so I'm just responding to the thread title.

I can't really say that I hate her. I have no reason to hate her, I've never met her and as far as I know she's never done anything to me.

That being said, she can fade away any time now. Just another electronically-enhanced average singer who has gained attention by wearing some goofy outfits and making a few controversial statements.
I disagree about the average/enhanced singer part, she is a very good singer, and she plays the piano, she has a lot more real musical talent than many pop stars.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I disagree about the average/enhanced singer part, she is a very good singer, and she plays the piano, she has a lot more real musical talent than many pop stars.
I'll take your word for it. I hear her songs in passing once in awhile so that's all I have to go by.

But if she's a good singer why does she use so much reverb on her vocals? And if she's a musician why does she use computer-generated backing tracks?

I think I had more respect for her when I assumed she was a talentless poseur. Now I have to consider her a sellout.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I'll take your word for it. I hear her songs in passing once in awhile so that's all I have to go by.

But if she's a good singer why does she use so much reverb on her vocals? And if she's a musician why does she use computer-generated backing tracks?

I think I had more respect for her when I assumed she was a talentless poseur. Now I have to consider her a sellout.

It's pop/dance music, thats just the sound, but she does insist on singing live most of the time. You can definitely find videos of her singing at the piano where it's clear she has talent. It's easy to call someone a sell out, but I can't blame her for wanting to make a living, and have her music heard, that requires playing popular music since most people don't have sophisticated musical tastes. She's only around 22-23, of course she will lack something in maturity. She has many years to try different styles, if she's still playing the same stuff in 10 years, she'll deserve criticism.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 8,922 times
I was reading some comments about Lady Gaga on YAHOO this morning and they are completely horrid!

“Disgusting untalented ****"

“He needs to get his crappy music and go back to hell”

“Ugly”

85% of the comments were like that...

i mean yeah she’s not the most original or prettiest artist out there right now, but she’s a heck of alot more talented than most other mainstream pop artists that can “sing” Because she tries too hard to be different, and unique that it makes it looks so obvious, and in my opinion her music isn't all that great. I liked her when she came out with Just Dance, and Poker Face, but since then she's changed a lot, not just her, but her music as well.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyloves View Post
Lady G gets a lot of hate, I don't understand why. She has a great voice, great look, and great talent. What's to hate?

Plus, she's very charitable and accepting of people. Isn't that what people want in a celebrity? She's not afraid to express herself and be who she wants to be, she doesn't care what people think.

People says she's a man based on a little wardrobe malfunction, Gaga even made fun of it in her video Telephone.

If you don't like Mother Monster, please be kind and specify why.
I wouldn't care one way or the other about Lady Gaga if she wasn't praised so much. I don't listen to much mainstream music at all. People that know that will recommend her music to me, claiming it's "different". I don't care for it. She's also unoriginal. She's like the Madonna of the 2000's. And I'm not even a Madonna fan for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities