Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,154,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
he took 62 course credits per quarter while acting. How in the hell did he do that?? Graduated in 2 years while probably not stepping foot inside a classroom.

Not just that, but I've read some of his writings (if that's what you want to call them) on "The Huffington post" a while back. Boy was I surprised. Homeboy can't write to save his life. Which warrants the question, "how the hel l did homeboy do 62 credit hours while acting and manage such a high gpa? Honestly, has anyone read any of his crap? There is no structure to any of his writings. Especially his critiques. He just rambles on. There is no paragraph structuring, no main thesis which flows into the paragraphs the way they should. Basically, I thought he was illiterate. Seriously, I don't think the word "edit" has ever registered to him in all of his years of college..Sad, just so sad. We used to have many highschool graduates who were illiterate. Now thanks to the hollywood chocolate factory, we now have many college graduates who are illiterate..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,538,098 times
Quote:
he took 62 course credits per quarter while acting. How in the hell did he do that?? Graduated in 2 years while probably not stepping foot inside a classroom.
You are using wikipedia as your source, maybe you should consider that.

Here* it says he told Terry Gross on her NPR program that he took so many courses so people wouldn't think he was "sliding by" because of his actng career, and that he took 62 units in his final quarter. It doesn't say what they were, though. Knowing that might shed some light on how he could do it.

*http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0290556/bio

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 03-11-2013 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,628,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Quote:

Here* it says he told Terry Gross on her NPR program that he took so many courses so people wouldn't think he was "sliding by" because of his actng career, and that he took 62 units in his final quarter. It doesn't say what they were, though. Knowing that might shed some light on how he could do it.

*http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0290556/bio
That's still unheard of for many UCLA students who can barely get approved for half of that, mostly due to the fact that UCLA runs on a quarter system. This means that the classes are far more condensed together than a regular semester at other universities.

I mean I have no doubt that he is a smart guy but if was not an A-list actor than I highly doubt he would've risen so far up in the lit world. It takes most people years to get anything published. Already Franco has by his own admission, published half a dozen! On top of taking courses at several different universities with no connection to each others programs. Just randomly taking a grad class here or there for personal enrichment.

The whole point of starting this thread was not to denounce him as total fraud. I think that his desire to be a great writer and poet is very much real, but that it's not really his talent that pushed him to the forefront. On his talent alone, it’s pretty mediocre. Most critics agree his art, his books and even his films are pretty pedestrian. It makes sense that what’s carrying him on is not that he is on his own merit talented but that him being a big star is opening doors for him to pursue whatever the hell he wants. Most people do not have that luxury.

Most people do not have the luxury of being a famous star when submitting their work. I bet Franco’s network is pretty extensive and he is able to personally talk (or coax) people into helping him with projects or agreeing to attach his name to a project a fledgling artist is proposing him on.

Let’s face it; James Franco is a perfect example of how fame and money can open doors for you to pursue whatever the heck you want. Not only open doors but literally have the red carpet rolled out for you. To be able to do this much in such little time only points to a series of things; time, money, connections, fame……..then talent. It does not mean he is some super genius renaissance man.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Didn't that no-talent punk got (aka purchased) his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame too?

Now this, weird and annoying at the same time.
Hollywood Star on the WOF? Really? That is way too soon. Leonardo DiCaprio doesn't even have one and he's far more talented.

I think that these stars can be purchased when one is eligible to receive one. It's just that many stars do not opt to do it so early in their career because it may look a tad egotistical.

Franco must really be that egotistical.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:

*James Franco - Biography
Oh yeah, IMDB is a better source..

Let's remember the recent NYC fiasco. He went to 12 out of 14 classes and stated that he didn't like the teaching style oof the teacher. If Franco only attended a couple of classes, how can he evaluate a teacher's performance accurately. Also, Franco has had a history of not attending classes as far back as his undergrad days at UCLA. In fact, his name was withdrawn as commencement speaker out of protests from students who knew of his spotty attendance record.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
In fact, his name was withdrawn as commencement speaker out of protests from students who knew of his spotty attendance record.

Ouch. I heard Bill Clinton was supposed to speak but they asked Franco at the last minute. Students protested the choice though?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, IMDB is a better source..

Let's remember the recent NYC fiasco. He went to 12 out of 14 classes and stated that he didn't like the teaching style oof the teacher. If Franco only attended a couple of classes, how can he evaluate a teacher's performance accurately. Also, Franco has had a history of not attending classes as far back as his undergrad days at UCLA. In fact, his name was withdrawn as commencement speaker out of protests from students who knew of his spotty attendance record.
Hey, the IMDB info is talking about an interview he did on NPR, Is THAT not a good enough source for you? Last time I checked, people couldn't go in and edit pages on IMDB like they can on wikipedia. So, yeah, it is a better source.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 PM

But whats the source for wiki?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Wikipedia
Wikipedia

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

Here is an article about Wikipedia, from Wikipedia, so consider the source.

Wikipedia - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not that it matters. I just don't understand why this guy is getting bashed for wanting to take a ton of classes and get a better education. Who is he hurting? It's not like he's wrecking cars, getting falling down drunk or making accidental sex tapes.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Wikipedia
Wikipedia

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

Here is an article about Wikipedia, from Wikipedia, so consider the source.

Wikipedia - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not that it matters. I just don't understand why this guy is getting bashed for wanting to take a ton of classes and get a better education. Who is he hurting? It's not like he's wrecking cars, getting falling down drunk or making accidental sex tapes.
I think you're missing the point. First point, Wikipedia is open source but it's also one of the most accurate online resources because most people who post cite sources. So when someone quotes Wikipedia, most of the time they're citing a source, not wiki. I don't know about this particular source but still, do not knock wikipedia.

The second point you missed is that I was wondering if journalists are fact checking or questioning how Franco is able to do all this in a short span of time. Do they not wonder if he is accomplishing all these feats on his own merit or if the money and fame is what is opening doors and opportunities instead?
Any journalist wouldn't just take his word that he is some savant. They would do some background work and bring up important questions. Personally I think his work is OK at best. I've read one of his books and excerpts from another. It's a bit amateurish. His movie was incredibly dull and his poems are just bad, I mean really really bad.

I also find it too convenient that all his feats just happened to snowball in the last two years. I just think that Franco uses his stardom to really do just whatever the heck he wants. An access very few people have and that over all is what gets his stuff showcased, not his talent. If he was not an A List actor I highly doubt he would receive as much attention for his work. He has many interests and I believe that they're genuine but they're also achieved more because of being Franco not because of merit.

I think to compare him to Lohan or Hilton is spurious. Lohan is not claiming to be this renaissance queen that can accomplish super genius feats and is very boastful about it.

The thing is Franco is not lying per se he is getting in to all these programs and accomplishing all these feats legitimately. I believe that. But they're mostly due to who he is as an A List star and what he can do to the programs and people he meets who have projects or departments they want to promote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities