Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

I doubt it. I am really shy so for a start this would be a huge obstacle and also if I liked the "celebrity" in question I would have too much respect for them to feel I was entitled to disturb their privacy and bother them in a private situation.

I always feel it must be dreadful to be recognised wherever you go, unable to do the simplest thing without having some morons trying to shove their cell phone camera in your face or asking for your autograph.

Even in a socially appropriate situation I somehow feel embarassed to speak to people unless spoken to. I have met a few famous people but I think except for a couple of times I was always approached first. I have spoken to two celebrities first, once because the person in question had dropped something, and the other because it was in a private home.

Last year we went to a book signing in Oxford and my Husband went to get my copy of the book signed. I stood by at the other end of the room not wanting to be noticed. The author asked where I was as the book was signed to me, Hubby pointed me out, the Author waved and smiled and asked me to come over and I wanted the ground to swallow me up. I stayed where I was, waving feebly and looking embarassed. And that was public event with someone I really admired too !

I know how much I would hate being famous and recognised and I shrink from bothering people. Perhaps I should start "stalking" the celebrities I despise instead....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I would tell them that the last time I dropped by I had to leave in a hurry and ask if they would mind if I came back and got my ladder and bolt cutters from where I stashed them in their bushes.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Now I work in an environment I see celebrities, Very famous ones on a regular basis and have met a few through the business itself. I met Brian McKnight twice due to this. Great guy. But I generally just go on my way now.
Which reminds me of a job I had during Summer working at a restaurant right on a secluded beach which turned out to be a topless beach! Being a horny teen, you could imagine my face and excitement the first few days but eventually, I stopped looking unless I noticed a really nice pair. Your story in a way, made sense when I recalled this memory, if you catch my drift?

If he/she is a star I like, I might swing by and throw a quick "hello" to see how they react, if s/he gave me a "p.ss off" look/vibe, then I would end it right there and leave them alone. For any random star I am not a huge fan of, I would just look for a few seconds from a distance.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
I had a long chat many years ago with the film star Ingrid Bergman. She was appearing in a play in London in the early 70s. She was stood outside the stage door at the side of the theatre after a matinee. I was a big movie fan, and only a teenager at the time.

I approached her, and said hello. She gave me a wonderful smile, and returned the greeting. We talked about the play, and eventually about her movies. She laughed at my interest in 'Casablanca', wondering why such a young person should be bothered about an old movie of hers.

She said it was a very confusing film to make as nobody knew how it was supposed to end because of script changes. I was fascinated at how similar she was to her film roles, a real classy lady.

A few years later, I had a chat with James Stewart. He was in a play called 'Harvey' which he had made as a film many years before. He was just stood in the theatre foyer. Now he was a real nice man, I was really impressed. We chatted a little while, and he told me his favourite movie of his was 'It's A Wonderful Life.'
As I left, I thanked him for his war service in my country. He just smiled and said, "thanks son." James Stewart wasn't just a movie hero, he was a real one.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
My original reaction to the question was no, I would not approach them. But then I started thinking what if I saw Reba or someone like her who just seems nice. I think it would depend on the celebrity. Julie Roberts, nope, keep walking. Reba definitely.

So do you think their type of celebrity matters? For me it seems like musicians would be more approachable than actors.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,863 times
When I was a teenager (many, many years ago) I saw George Takei at JFK airport. He was alone and I kept looking at him wondering where I had seen him before. Finally I went up to him and asked him if he was Mr. Sulu. He said he was, so I asked him to autograph my Glamour magazine that I had with me. He obliged and as quite nice about it.
Four years ago I was waiting for my luggage at National Airport and I saw Randy Travis waiting for his, too (he had been on my flight). I approached him and told him I enjoyed his music. He thanked me and that was the end of it.
Many years ago I sat down next to Eunice Kennedy Shriver at Houston's airport. I knew it was she (after I sat down), but I couldn't bring myself to say anything. I did notice she was carrying several books with her all penned by various Kennedys.
I saw Patch Adams at National airport and said nothing to him.
What is it with me, celebrities and airports??

Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM

361 posts, read 748,476 times
No.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM

664 posts, read 855,765 times
i would hope that i wouldn't be a gushy. i would probably be like, hi _________, i have been a big fan of yours since i was a kid. i have all your albums. i just want to tell you to keep up the good work. I loved your last album girl! (LMAO) keep God first girl, and can you sign this for me? oh, can i have a picture too? .......

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG she touched me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i tried y'all.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Possibly. I don't know who would qualify off hand, but I might casually acknowledge I know who they are if I had a chance encounter.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:38 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
I wouldn't.
If I contact were made, I'd nod or give some slight acknowledgment like I would to anyone else I'd meet like that.

I've met some celebs. They're just regular people. Some nice, some not so nice, Like the rest of us. No need to gush.
More of them NEED to be ignored. Most could go about their business unnoticed, if they didn't walk around with 'staff' or others around them.

Our society to too celeb obsessed as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities