Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:13 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

A day after performing at a benefit in the Bahamas, Bill Cosby took the stage here to a standing ovation — even as he battled a growing scandal.

The sold-out crowd Friday night was overwhelmingly supportive. Many told NBC News that they viewed Cosby as an entertainer and simply did not believe the sexual assault accusations against him. "I think the things that have come up now is just nonsense," said Nathan Rigaud, who said he was one of the first to buy tickets.

Bill Cosby Gets Standing Ovation at Florida Theater - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 02:46 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Big deal. That only serves as the perfect example of why those women were told no one would believe them. More celebrity fawning and adulation. Plus, he warranted a standing ovation because...?

This has come full circle, with Cosby being portrayed as the victim. Give me a very large break.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:01 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
These were probably die-hard fans who would never, ever believe anything bad about him. They probably paid a fortune for those tickets. I imagine that will be the last standing ovation he gets for a very long time.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
These were probably die-hard fans who would never, ever believe anything bad about him. They probably paid a fortune for those tickets. I imagine that will be the last standing ovation he gets for a very long time.
Especially since 7 upcoming appearances were just canceled.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:45 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
I think it needs to be recognized that under the conditions which have developed in the media circus over the past decade or so, everything regarding the character of individuals needs a closer sctrutiny.

Cosby certainly isn't the first popular figure whose sexual life has been thrust into the spotlight -- there was Magic Johnson, and Kobe Bryant,, and one has to recognize that even John Kennedy's personal life was "protected" only by the standards of his time.

And when a major public figure (or even an institution) with a reputation for integrity is suddenly thrust into the spotlight, the vultures gather quickly; we saw that in the Sandusky scandal at Penn State three years ago (and anyone who doubts this should not the activity on the 'Net in the early hours of the story.

Bill Cosby may, or may be not be culpable in the variety of incidents cited -- I doubt that many men with that level of prestige and opportunity. are capable of complete restraint. But he has been the target of well-organized enemies for a number of years, and I believe that that opposition should face an equal amount of scrutiny.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:52 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
After reading some of the accounts and stories from some of his accusers many people still believe in Cosby. Me included.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I think it needs to be recognized that under the conditions which have developed in the media circus over the past decade or so, everything regarding the character of individuals needs a closer sctrutiny.

Cosby certainly isn't the first popular figure whose sexual life has been thrust into the spotlight -- there was Magic Johnson, and Kobe Bryant,, and one has to recognize that even John Kennedy's personal life was "protected" only by the standards of his time.

And when a major public figure (or even an institution) with a reputation for integrity is suddenly thrust into the spotlight, the vultures gather quickly; we saw that in the Sandusky scandal at Penn State three years ago (and anyone who doubts this should not the activity on the 'Net in the early hours of the story.

Bill Cosby may, or may be not be culpable in the variety of incidents cited -- I doubt that many men with that level of prestige and opportunity. are capable of complete restraint. But he has been the target of well-organized enemies for a number of years, and I believe that that opposition should face an equal amount of scrutiny.

I'm calling bullbleep on his "well-organized enemies." They don't hold a candle to the young women he amassed as victims.

And why Cosby is a "major public figure with a reputation for integrity" is curious. THAT, is part of the problem.

Memo: Bill Cosby isn't a doctor, Martin Sheen isn't the president, and Tea Leoni isn't Secretary of State. Get real, people.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:00 PM

49 posts, read 77,233 times
I don't understand the mindset of people who blindly believe in the integrity of celebrities because of the characters they portrayed.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:37 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
And we have three Cosby threads, why?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:40 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Doh View Post
I don't understand the mindset of people who blindly believe in the integrity of celebrities because of the characters they portrayed.
it's funny because I know many, many people that think Alex Trebek is really smart just because he hosts jeopardy!

and then you have people that are shocked that Wolf Blitzer of CNN did really poorly on jeopardy! simply because he reads words from a teleprompter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities