Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:11 PM

510 posts, read 449,828 times

Advertisements

Show business so different now. Today's celebrities are performers but not stars. Do you agree or disagree and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 09:29 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,863 times
"Today everyone is a star - they're all billed as 'starring' or 'also starring'. In my day, we earned that recognition."

Bette Davis (circa 1970's)....says it all.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:29 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
What's the difference between a performer and a star? Who were considered stars?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
What's the difference between a performer and a star? Who were considered stars?
Stars were people like Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Cary Grant, Marilyn Monroe, James Stewart, Bette Davis, Doris Day, Dean Martin, Fred Astaire, Bette Midler, Joan Crawford......... need I go on? A real star is known all over the world, and their talent means they are known for many, many years. Not here today, gone tomorrow.

For instance, when you go looking for a new photo calendar each year, you will find one of Marilyn Monroe, who has been dead for 55 years. That's what a star is. In the main, they don't exist anymore. Nobodies think they are stars today.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:02 PM

431 posts, read 352,582 times
Clint Eastwood? Sean Connery? Michael Caine? Gene Hackman? Just a few that are still with us but maybe too old to be consider "today's" stars?

I think because we live in different times now and with the internet, so called stars are easily accessible making them have less of an aura? I don't know. It does seem like people don';t have the class and dignity that used to be common.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:19 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,814,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Stars were people like Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Cary Grant, Marilyn Monroe, James Stewart, Bette Davis, Doris Day, Dean Martin, Fred Astaire, Bette Midler, Joan Crawford......... need I go on? A real star is known all over the world, and their talent means they are known for many, many years. Not here today, gone tomorrow..

By that standard Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Meryl Streep, Angelina Joilie, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, etc are all stars. Bankable and well known worldwide, at it for at least a decade.

Stars still exist. Maybe you mean the glamour and mystique that used to be attached to stars?

Old 06-09-2017, 08:24 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,525,969 times
And that's only a partial list. Leo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp (even though I can't stand either of them), Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Mel Gibson ...

Old 06-15-2017, 08:55 AM

111 posts, read 91,030 times
quoting inquisitive2's post #1:
Quote:
Show business so different now. Today's celebrities are performers but not stars. Do you agree or disagree and why?
Yes and no. Actors would like to play deeper roles but they are for lack of terminology... "subsidized". This reduction is due to current events, globalisation, multi-culturalism and the struggles in America. Hollywood pretty much owns the global movie industry if not financially then through reputation and quality. Actors must play it safe and get shallow because if they don't they won't last long. The talent is there but it isn't being used. So, let the McDonaldization continue.

quoting sas318's post #3:
Quote:
Performing is the craft of acting but being a star is something that continues offstage.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
[/b]

By that standard Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Meryl Streep, Angelina Joilie, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, etc are all stars. Bankable and well known worldwide, at it for at least a decade.

Stars still exist. Maybe you mean the glamour and mystique that used to be attached to stars?
Some of your names are performers not stars. A great movie star needs at least six great movies to their name imo. Tom Cruise is a big star, but how many truly great movies has he made? Brad Pitt....... sorry not a great star at all. Will Smith? Please........

I believe George Clooney could have been a major movie star back in the 40s. But sadly, the great roles are few and far between in today's movie making world. Films are made for kids in the main, because they are the audience. Lots of special effects, and hardly any story at all.

You mention Meryl Streep, and yes I agree, she is a real 24 carat star. She has had a fabulous career, and has made many interesting movies. She has managed to remain at the top of her game for decades. Even the great female stars of the past failed to do that.

Bette Davis was a star for over 50 years, but her great period was only from about 1938-1945. After that, her great movies were very, very few. But she is remembered as a massive star for the great work she did in that short period of time.

Tom Hanks is a great star, and has that half a dozen great films to his name. He is one of the very few true stars today. Even he is finding quality work hard to find nowadays. I hope he has a great movie left in him because he is one of the finest performers of our time.

You are right about the glamour and mystique that belonged to the stars of the Golden Age of movies. They were enigmatic, and slightly unworldly. The women especially were photographed to look very beautiful, both in movies, and still shots. In many cases they were quite ordinary people like James Stewart. He was extraordinarily ordinary. I met him once 40 years ago, and he came across just the same as his movie persona.

I went out of my way to meet James Stewart. I wouldn't cross the street to meet most any star of today.......

Old 06-15-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStubak View Post
You forgot John Wayne.

The Duke!
One of the greatest stars of them all.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities