Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to be a hater. I'm just trying to understand. So objective, well-considered opinions are wanted.

Why do you really care about the details of a celebrity's life? I mean, does it really matter who they're dating, who they're marrying, and where they're doing rehab? I mean just because somebody can carry a tune, has nice bosoms, and can ape emotions in front of a camera, why would you be so interested in their personal life? I mean, the checkout girls at the Piggly Wiggly down the street are more interesting to me than these narcissistic prima donnas.

So, please, shed light on why these people occupy more than a moment of your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
why not??

celebrities are public figures, just like sport stars and politicians. it's gives people a nice time out from having to worry about war/disease/recession/elections/gas prices/the eventual destruction of Earth to talk about who's dating who, what did Halle name her baby, and what the heck is wrong with Brit Brit

talking/gossiping about public figures has been something that as been going on for centuries. just that now, w/ TMZ, perezhilton, OK mag, and E cable channel, it's more in your face than it was before

Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 AM

45 posts, read 104,217 times
why not? celebrities' life is much more bright and interesting comparing to ours... they have crazy, outfits, posh cars, fashionable houses, they lead a life always full of events.. and this is always interesting!

How about this one? Seems like she's never going to be left alone.. people are interested in her life and scandals she provokes.. as simple as that.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
why not??

celebrities are public figures, just like sport stars and politicians. it's gives people a nice time out from having to worry about war/disease/recession/elections/gas prices/the eventual destruction of Earth to talk about who's dating who, what did Halle name her baby, and what the heck is wrong with Brit Brit

talking/gossiping about public figures has been something that as been going on for centuries. just that now, w/ TMZ, perezhilton, OK mag, and E cable channel, it's more in your face than it was before
Yes, that about covers it.
There are of course far more important topics to discuss, and sometimes I think they receive less attention than they should---this makes me wonder if the media is more concerned with selling advertising than giving us the news. <perish the thought!>

However, it's true that some folks can only spend so much time on Darfur, AIDs or how our economy is going down the drain. Celebrity gossip, while not for everyone, is a bit of a distraction from the daily depressing grind of Iraq body count or housing foreclosure statistics.
People see someone in a movie, or watch them sing in a video, and it resonates with them, and they'll see a blurb about a marriage or baby or DUI, and they'll want to read it. I do it all the time, myself.
There might be a bit of schadenfreund to it...or maybe they are sincerely concerned, it varies.

Certainly this kind of stuff can be distasteful, cruel, and obsessive.
A little curiosity is one thing, but sometimes people are morbidly interested in *very* personal details. IMHO, freedom of speech does not mean you publish things simply because you can.
But it sells.
And yes, it's more in your face now then it ever was before.
I get the feeling that maybe we've reached the saturation point, and people are becoming sick of it, but maybe I'm wrong, and it will become even worse.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
If the news never reported anything or if Entertainment Tonight, Extra, etc didn't exist or if we didnt' have magz like People, then I wouldn't really care what's going on with celebs. The fact of the matter is, the news about them is out there. It's hard nowadays on even "news channels" like CNN to avoid celeb news.

Personally, I try to stay away from that kind of stuff but alas, it is my guilty pleasure to know the personal lives of celebs. I don't obsess over it but if it's a juicy article, you bet your dollar I'm going to be reading it!

I do agree, it's "too much". I feel like info overload and honestly, I don't understand why some people even make the news but I don't pick and choose what's released. I only get to be persnickety about what I want to pick up and read.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:51 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
I can't really say what it is exactly-just a basic guilty pleasure I guess. Just another level of people watching for me. The cashier at the piggly wiggly the OP mentioned would honestly BE just as interesting to me as Brad and Angelina. I'm going to be that old person sitting in the mall one day, just taking in the sights of all the interesting people. LOL. I don't really "care" about their lives, it's just another form of entertainment they provide. My BIL makes fun of me for being interested in the rag sheets or watching the E! channel, but I'd rather watch and read that stuff, then hear how another father or mother killed their babies. Some of it does get out of line-like the Britney Spears stuff. I don't pay attention to that anymore-I feel bad for the girl and think they should just leave her alone to get her life together. However, there are stars who are putting themselves out there to enhance their careers too, so they're not always victims of the paparazzi.

And sometimes the narcisism is what is entertaining. I could care less that Mariah Carey wants a certain number of bottles of water or all pink jelly beans in her dressing room. The fact she demands that kind of stuff and regular schmoes working in that world cater to it is just entertainment to me.

You could ask the same question about anybody's interest really. To me, asking grown men how they can sit for hours in front of a video game and find that entertaining is just as valid a question. Or fishing...I will never NEVER understand how that is enjoyable, interesting, or fun. Different strokes...

I was really happy for JLo and Marc Anthony though. Happy like somebody in my family had those kids, and that I can't explain either. I know it's crazy. LOL.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:18 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
The entertainment shows that report the celebrity crap are the worst. It would have been great to meet someone like Ingrid Bergman, Gary Cooper or Spencer Tracey though. I have no interest whatsoever in many of the so-called stars of today like Britney, Paris and Lindsey.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
You could ask the same question about anybody's interest really. To me, asking grown men how they can sit for hours in front of a video game and find that entertaining is just as valid a question. Or fishing...I will never NEVER understand how that is enjoyable, interesting, or fun.)
Yes--good point.
How anyone could sit in front of 3 hours of professional football is beyond me, though I realize I am probably in the minority for that.
I'll take the fishing shows over football.
I also agree that the celebutantes such as Paris Hilton do not interest me.
And Britney is just pathetic.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes--good point.
How anyone could sit in front of 3 hours of professional football is beyond me, though I realize I am probably in the minority for that.
I'll take the fishing shows over football.
I also agree that the celebutantes such as Paris Hilton do not interest me.
And Britney is just pathetic.
Football is cool, fishing is cool, photography is cool, walking is cool, but being obsessed with some celebraties private life is not cool.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Football is cool, fishing is cool, photography is cool, walking is cool, but being obsessed with some celebraties private life is not cool.
Hobbies are great. Televised sports help a lot of people decompress.
I walk a couple miles every day.
Any obsession might not be good for the head.
An obsession is a compulsive fixation.
I can't really think of any celebrities whose private lives concern me to the point of obsession.
But if someone keeps a Johnny Depp poster in her locker, or joins a Garth Brooks fan club, or even looks at naked Brittney photos in the privacy of his home, I am not going to feel morally superior and waggle my finger at them.

I do think that the media probably offers us more information than we really need. The sad thing is, they do this because it is profitable. It would not happen if people were not paying for it. I couldn't believe the fuss over poor Anna Nicole whatever her name was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities