Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 05:11 AM

16,443 posts, read 12,618,500 times

Advertisements

This is sad news. Stanford Blatch from Sex and the City died after a battle with cancer. I recently saw a picture of him on the set of the new SATC show, and thought it just caught him at a terrible moment that made him look old and frail. I had no idea he was actually sick.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ead/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 11:29 AM

19,990 posts, read 9,544,261 times
Oh, that is very sad. I really liked him in Freaky Friday and he was terrific in Fever Pitch, also.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:34 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,143,205 times
Well, for SUPERCHICK Wednesday tonight, I will watch a S & the City, one with him.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:44 PM

1,404 posts, read 748,198 times
He was really good. Loved White Collar that he was in. Very sad.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:53 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,143,205 times
I didn't realize he was in Buffy and Voyager but now looking back in memory, of course that was him!

Old 09-23-2021, 01:50 AM

20,863 posts, read 4,561,012 times
He also played "Gerard Hirsch" the art thief/crime scene clean up guy in Hawaii Five-0.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:15 AM

23,921 posts, read 33,756,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
This is sad news. Stanford Blatch from Sex and the City died after a battle with cancer. I recently saw a picture of him on the set of the new SATC show, and thought it just caught him at a terrible moment that made him look old and frail. I had no idea he was actually sick.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ead/index.html

I didn't recognize the name. I watched Sex and the City, figured I had to know who he was. Of course when I saw his picture I knew exactly who he was. Google shows pancreatic cancer. I wish they'd use deceased instead of dead which sounds so cold hearted.

I don't see how long ago he was diagnosed, the article below says short illness. Pancreatic cancer is one of the deadliest cancers because usually when a person is diagnosed, it's reached other organs and is too late. Alex Tribek was very fortunate to have access to the best doctors, but even they could not save him.

I figured Alex would leave money to a pancreatic cancer charity. Stand Up 2 Cancer had a team on it that I believe was started by funding from Patrick Swayze. They're one of the only cancer charities I've donated to because of their cancer specific research teams. The other leading pancreatic cancer organization is Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PANCAN). I used to follow them back when Swayze died but know nothing about them now and if they went from a good charity to one only interested in their board members being paid big bucks.

It looks like Alex Tribeks daughter is raising money for PANCAN. I'm not seeing that his family made a large donation which is sad. The only way pancreatic cancer research is going to happen is with money and lots of it. We need testing for doctors to be able to run like annual blood work. That's the only way that people will have a chance to actually fight it and win. One of my biggest fears is I'll end up getting it.

Sex and the City Star Willie Garson Dead at 57 - September 21, 2021 07:53 PM

Willie Garson died on Tuesday following a short illness, PEOPLE confirms

Quote:
The actor died on Tuesday afternoon following a short illness, PEOPLE confirms. Garson had been suffering from pancreatic cancer, and was surrounded by family at the time of his death.

Alex Trebek's daughter is raising money to fight pancreatic cancer in the late TV legend's memory - March 30, 2021 / 4:07 PM

Quote:
Alex Trebek's daughter Nicky is honoring the longtime "Jeopardy!" host's memory by raising awareness and funding in the battle against pancreatic cancer.

Speaking on television for the first time since her father's death, Nicky Trebek told "CBS This Morning" Tuesday that she is launching a team for the virtual PurpleStride walk, which benefits the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.

The TV legend had attended a PurpleStride event in Los Angeles shortly after he was diagnosed with the illness in 2019. He died in November 2020 after a monthslong struggle.

Stand Up 2 Cancer Pancreatic Cancer Dream Team Goals
Transforming Pancreatic Cancer Dream Team: Transforming Pancreatic Cancer to Treatable Disease - Grant Term: July 2014–June 2019

Quote:
The SU2C–Lustgarten Foundation Pancreatic Cancer Dream Team is focused on pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDA), one of the deadliest types of cancer. This team is working to understand the barriers to treatment that this type of cancer presents, in order to develop new therapies that will effectively treat it.

Pancreatic Cancer Dream Team: Reprogramming of Transcriptional Circuitry to Control Pancreatic Cancer - Grant Term: January 2016–December 2018

Quote:
The SU2C–Cancer Research UK (CRUK)–Lustgarten Foundation Pancreatic Cancer Dream Team is working to improve survival of pancreatic cancer patients, with a goal of at least doubling the one-year survival rate in advanced pancreatic cancer from 35% to more than 70%. The team also aims to maintain remission in patients who have responded to treatment, extending and enhancing the lives of people with this disease.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:17 AM

32,040 posts, read 27,289,002 times
Yes, case with Willie Garson was sadly like so many others diagonsed with pancreatic cancer. By time actual diagnosis is (or was) made things had spread (cancer no longer localized) and thus you get "dead after short illness"....

Willie Garson lived long enough to see attitudes change about single men (gay or straight) adopting or otherwise having children. Happiest thing he ever did apparently was adopting his son Nathan, who survives his father.

WG always wanted to be a dad, but relationships weren't working out and time was ticking away. So he decided to adopt on his own.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:03 AM

12,334 posts, read 17,192,800 times
I remember seeing him in many movies and TV shows over the years. RIP Willie.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:11 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,266,044 times
I know 2 people who died of pancreatic cancer within 2 weeks of diagnosis and 3 others who died within 2 months. It is brutal.

We were lucky he shared his talent while he could. 57 is so young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities