Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 09:17 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Was she the one whose husband disappeared? Yeah.. Lost at sea..

But that doesn't sound like the one I'm thinking of.. Wasn't there another late 70's/early 80's singer whose husband disappeared and there were rumors of him being with the CIA or something like that?

I've probably just got several things mashing together in my brain and am wrong about all this.

Anyway.. Anyone who wasn't alive in the early 80's for the monster hit that was Physical. 10 weeks at #1, the longest run at #1 of the 80's

Right entertainer, but it was her boyfriend, not her husband.

This was before she got together with and married her current (until her death) husband.

Years later, there was a whole Dateline NBC or similar show about the boyfriend and that saga.

RIP, ONJ

She was one of those women that you knew was going to continue to be cute her whole life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 02:00 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
She was a beautiful singer and I'm sad to see her go. Her voice was right up there with Karen Carpenter and Anne Murray in my book, one of the best. She started out with a great country crossover hit Let Me Be There. Have You Never Been Mellow is so sweet, along with A Little More Love & Hopelessly Devoted. Summer Nights was her fun song. Magic is hypnotic and my favorite song from Olivia. Let's Get Physical & Heart Attack were not so soothing like her other songs, but OK pop hits. I'm thankful her friend Helen Reddy, whom passed a few years ago, talked her into making the move to America. She was perfect for the part of Sandy in Grease, and I worship the ground she used to walk on.

RIP Olivia Newton John.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:13 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, Judith’s passing was also a huge blow, and she has been granted a state funeral in Melbourne. Of course these things can’t be helped, but it’s a bit sad that the celebration of Judith that’s been occurring over the last couple of days has been taken over by this news, I think that’s unfortunate for the family who can at least take a bit of solace in the outpouring of tributes.

I remember when Farrah Fawcett died a day before Michael Jackson, and she was kinda forgotten about in the following deluge of news.

Trivial in the scheme of things, but I wonder if famous people look down and giggle over being upstaged in their passing.

No, Farrah and Michael died on the same day, Farrah got pushed aside quickly. I used to be part of a Farrah Fawcett FB group back then. We were pissed! I wasn't a huge Farrah fan, I was following her cancer and her son.

A friend of mine died that same day (June 25th) too but years later.

Quote:
Did Farrah and Michael die on same day?
Fawcett died at 2:28 a.m. on June 25, 2009, at Providence St. John's Health Center emergency room in Santa Monica, California, at the age of 62. Her death was almost exactly 12 hours before pop star Michael Jackson died at 2:26 p.m. the same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
She was a beautiful singer and I'm sad to see her go. Her voice was right up there with Karen Carpenter and Anne Murray in my book, one of the best. She started out with a great country crossover hit Let Me Be There. Have You Never Been Mellow is so sweet, along with A Little More Love & Hopelessly Devoted. Summer Nights was her fun song. Magic is hypnotic and my favorite song from Olivia. Let's Get Physical & Heart Attack were not so soothing like her other songs, but OK pop hits. I'm thankful her friend Helen Reddy, whom passed a few years ago, talked her into making the move to America. She was perfect for the part of Sandy in Grease, and I worship the ground she used to walk on.

RIP Olivia Newton John.

I loved all of the music from the movie, hopelessly devoted is the one I always think of when I think of her. Same for yesterday when I saw she passed, I was singing the song. I also used to like the summer nights but not as much as hopelessly devoted which I owned the record, never bought her newer stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i52mlmJtyJQ

Old 08-09-2022, 07:13 AM

27,151 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Born in Cambridge, England with Jewish German ancestry, before brought up in Australia and then heading to the US and stardom.

Olivia came from an interesting family and he father Brinley Newton-John having been the Headmaster at the Cambridgeshire High School for Boys (1946-54) , and was in this position when Olivia was born.

Roger Waters and Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd fame later both attended the Cambridgeshire High School for Boys, with and Waters later complaining about the brutality of the teachers and bullying, thereby inspiring the single 'Another Brick in the Wall', which was written by Waters in 1979.

Early life - Olive Newton-John - Wikipedia

Cambridgeshire High School for Boys - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-09-2022 at 07:26 AM..

Old 08-09-2022, 09:02 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Born in Cambridge, England with Jewish German ancestry, before brought up in Australia and then heading to the US and stardom.

Olivia came from an interesting family and he father Brinley Newton-John having been the Headmaster at the Cambridgeshire High School for Boys (1946-54) , and was in this position when Olivia was born.

Roger Waters and Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd fame later both attended the Cambridgeshire High School for Boys, with and Waters later complaining about the brutality of the teachers and bullying, thereby inspiring the single 'Another Brick in the Wall', which was written by Waters in 1979.

Early life - Olive Newton-John - Wikipedia

Cambridgeshire High School for Boys - Wikipedia
You mentioned 'brought up in Australia and then heading to the US and stardom"...
true ...but she also lived back in England for about 7 years between Australia and
stardom in the US ....from about 1968 to 1975.

She released her first album in 1971 .....recorded in London at Abbey Road studios...
entitled "If Not For You"....also the title of her first hit single...a song written by Bob Dylan, also covered by Bob's friend, George Harrison....in fact all three released singles of "If Not For You" at about the same time....not sure which version I like the most, all very good....Olivia also covered George Harrison's "What Is Life" that year too.

Before leaving England....Olivia Newton-John represented Britain in the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest....her song "Long Live Love" came in 4th place....the winning entry that year was from Sweden..."Waterloo" by Abba.

Last edited by GTB365; 08-09-2022 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-09-2022, 09:19 AM

27,151 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
You mentioned 'brought up in Australia and then heading to the US and stardom"...
true ...but she also lived back in England for about 7 years between Australia and
stardom in the US ....from about 1968 to 1975.

She released her first album in 1971 .....recorded in London at Abbey Road studios...
entitled "If Not For You"....also the title of her first hit single...a song written by Bob Dylan,
also covered by Bob's friend, George Harrison....in fact all three released singles of
"If Not For You" at about the same time....not which version I like the most,
all very good....Olivia also covered George Harrison's "What Is Life" that year too.

Before leaving England....Olivia Newton-John represented Britain in the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest....her song "Long Live Love" came in 4th place....the wiining entry that year was from Sweden..."Waterloo" by Abba.
She was largely brought up in Australia, and it wasn't until she went to the US that she found international Stardom, otherwise you are correct.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:06 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,602,374 times
Another fan favorite. I remember this song being played on the radio very often back in the day. Great vocal range.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzPru7yrEUQ

Old 08-09-2022, 10:55 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:

RIP Olivia Newton John.
If Not For You was first in the US - 10 weeks in the Top 40 summer of '71. It was also her best, IMHO.

Indeed, she was beautiful in many ways. Back in the day, it wasn't quick and simple to find a picture and I don't remember where I finally found hers that summer. When I did, she instantly went to the top of my list of most beautiful women world-wide.

Bob Dylan was so fortunate that so many others covered his songs and made them great. Like most of his others, nobody would have ever heard of that song based on his rendition.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Another fan favorite. I remember this song being played on the radio very often back in the day. Great vocal range.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzPru7yrEUQ
A Little More Love was excellent, but think she showed the best vocal range in Have You Never Been Mellow. I listened to her first 1971 hit that Crown mentioned, If Not For You, she wasn't quite there yet until the 1973 hit Let Me Be There, the backup singer really ads a nice touch to that song with his Make It Right line. That was a smash, I like how she could morph from country to soft rock to movie songs to disco to pop 80's. Just listened to Make a Move On Me, she was wallowing in the 80's cheese at that point, that song needed a little help but her main chorus was still good. Let's Get Physical was kind of a turning point from her earlier stuff, and I'm surprised the song did as well as it did, I think it was more from the sexploitation lyrics than her actual vocal talents in that particular song, that carried the day. Lets Get Physical hasn't aged as well as her earlier stuff, IMO. Most of her big hits I like to hear over and over, but that one wore out pretty fast for me as they overplayed it so much being a #1 song. Magic had good keyboard with some strategic guitar and had a nice flow to zone out on, it was the best 80's style song she did, IMO.

Let Me Be There (she's so fresh and spunky in this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UcTCYmoQTQ

Have You Never Been Mellow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFQZyxxyyM

Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl5bqHP0-KA

Last edited by mofford; 08-09-2022 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-10-2022, 06:19 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
A Little More Love was excellent, but think she showed the best vocal range in Have You Never Been Mellow. I listened to her first 1971 hit that Crown mentioned, If Not For You, she wasn't quite there yet until the 1973 hit Let Me Be There, the backup singer really ads a nice touch to that song with his Make It Right line. That was a smash, I like how she could morph from country to soft rock to movie songs to disco to pop 80's. Just listened to Make a Move On Me, she was wallowing in the 80's cheese at that point, that song needed a little help but her main chorus was still good. Let's Get Physical was kind of a turning point from her earlier stuff, and I'm surprised the song did as well as it did, I think it was more from the sexploitation lyrics than her actual vocal talents in that particular song, that carried the day. Lets Get Physical hasn't aged as well as her earlier stuff, IMO. Most of her big hits I like to hear over and over, but that one wore out pretty fast for me as they overplayed it so much being a #1 song. Magic had good keyboard with some strategic guitar and had a nice flow to zone out on, it was the best 80's style song she did, IMO.

Let Me Be There (she's so fresh and spunky in this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UcTCYmoQTQ

Have You Never Been Mellow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFQZyxxyyM

Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl5bqHP0-KA
We disagree on the If Not For You/Let Me Be There comparison....as louder, more brash does not make for a better sound in the case of ONJ. For Barry McGuire or Ann Wilson, sure, but not for Olivia. Let Me Be There never did anything for me.

We agree completely on Physical. Musically it had no business in the top ten, much less #1 for weeks on end. Sold based almost solely on the imagery of the lyrics and might not have made the charts at all, but for the super-stardom of ONJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities