Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,627,335 times

Advertisements

LOS ANGELES, April 15 (UPI) -- Paul McCartney and Tom Hanks attended the dedication ceremony for the late British musician George Harrison's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Harrison's wife Olivia and son Dhani also turned out for Tuesday's event as did U.S. rock 'n' roll singer Tom Petty, British comedian Eric Idle and hundreds of fans.

George Harrison gets star on Walk of Fame - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,365,994 times
Great to see the "Quiet" Beatle get the recognition. He did have to fight for album time from the very beginning, bookended as he was by two of the greatest songwriters of all time. He could have had it worse I guess, that is if he hadn't have been stuck in between the best and the better still. Wouldn't have been a bit surprised if he'd have been one of the more prolific solo acts in that case though.

My impression of George is that a star on Hollywood's walk of fame wouldn't have meant much to him.

He may have been more impressed to have a spot in Bollywood, after all.

YouTube - What is Life - George Harrison

YouTube - Paul McCartney's reaction to George Harrisons Death.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 AM

18,227 posts, read 25,880,114 times
Expit is right. It was sad that they didn't give George more room in the earlier days. Out of my favorite 5 Beatle's songs 3 of them are by George-"Here Comes The Sun", "Something", and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". His All Things Must Pass lp from 1970 remains the best Beatles solo lp, IMHO.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 AM

From what I've read, heard, etc., it is true that George had to fight for space on the Beatle albums. And I also heard, maybe you could confirm this HH or dispel it, but isn't it true that George's first solo effort was mostly comprised of songs he'd written while he was a Beatle but couldn''t get on an album?

And I agree with you, I've had that thought before, that of course Lennon and McCartney wrote tons of great songs, but when George did or at least when he got his songs on a Beatle album they were often some of the best on the album. The three you mentioned DoubleH, plus for me I'd add....

Don't Bother Me, Taxman, I Want To Tell You, I'm Happy Just to Dance with You and a few more.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:11 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,345,310 times
From what I've read, there definitely was a growing level of tension between George and John&Paul regarding the treatment of George's songs. I recall reading that a Lennon-McCartney tune would receive significant attention when it came time to record it, while less attention was given to George's tunes. Even George Martin (the other George) said that he regretted that he didn't give George's songs as much attention and time as the others. But, that said, I also know that both John and Paul certainly respected the tunes George came up with.

I like most of George's Beatle tunes (his weakest effort is probably "You Like Me Too Much"). He had an incredible range, from a romantic ballad like Something to the folky optimism of Here Comes The Sun to the bluesy Old Brown Shoe to raga-rock Love You Too to the biting Taxman. One of my favorite underplayed George tunes is this psychedelic freak-out that's a fun & happy tune at the same time!

YouTube - It's All Too Much - original longer mixed

Well done George!

(and we haven't even gotten into the All Things Must Pass - Cloud Nine-Traveling Wilburies stuff)

Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM

YouTube - It Don't Come Easy - Ringo Starr

IMO, Ringo's best solo effort, there's some controversy about how much of it he actually wrote.
Long after this 1970 recording he did "admit" that George co-wrote.
Admit, because Ringo, as a drummer was the Beatle least likely to survive the Beatles' demise.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:39 PM

18,227 posts, read 25,880,114 times
Expit, whazzup? George's first lp. Wonderwall Music, was basically a soundtrack lp for the UK film, Wonderwall Music. The lp, was released about a month before the White Album. The film was about a nutcase scientist and his neighbors and from what I have been told by UK collectors I know from record/cd meets I have gone to is that the movie was a commercial flop. The lp is mildly collectible here and is VERY collectible in the UK, especially in mono. A mono copy can fetch $300, stereo maybe $200 (they still made mono albums in the UK till early 1970). As far as I remember, nothing from that lp was intended for release on any of the Beatles recordings. I'm only going by their knowlege but I might do some digging on that.

BUT, I think, All Things Must Pass was another matter. I have read in print somewhere that some of those songs WERE turned down. I don't know which ones, nor can I provide a link to it. Over the next couple days I'm gonna do some digging and see if I can find that info, unless someone here can provide something. Readers?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 PM

DoubleH, what's happenin brother? Yeah, you're right, I was thinking of All Things Must Pass, that I heard many of those songs were ones the Beatles didn't want. Thank you.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:28 AM

990 posts, read 1,727,179 times
George should also get creit for the Concert For Bangladesh,it was a great concert and one of the first humanitarian aid concerts. You can get the DVD of it, he brought together some great artist to perform together. Check it out!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,181,360 times
I love "What is Life?"

A friend of mine from high school is a friend of Tom Petty and she says he often talks about George. One thing she said was that George made joke about how he actually had no security...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities