Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did 'new age' healer to the stars, Reinalda de Souza kill Michael Jackson with a vodoo curse?
Yes - voodoo exists and those who dabble in it can die! 4 23.53%
No - bunch of malarkey! 11 64.71%
I dunno...maybe 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:07 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i think he is getting to much prime news coverage and is over rated!!! i was watching larry king last night and his brother jeremy was saying that there would never be a person as great as micheal jackson... do u actually beleave that michael jackson was the greatest person that ever lived?? definaely not in my book he had million and millions of dollars and lived like a flamboyant squndering most of his money.. where as paul newman had over 200 products that he sponsored and gave all the money to charities..u cant take away from michael jackson that he sold the most albums of any pop star and could dance but as far as being the greatest person definitely not in my book!!!! i could think of many that did more for other people than for themselves
I totally agree with you on this. With all that is going on in the world, Micheal Jackson's passing should be on the back burner. But then again, I feel this way about all celebrity news. I remember when I was younger the entertainment business was not something the real news reported about on a regular basis. But these days, you can't go five minutes without seeing some new star news. Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Kobe, Shaq, MJ, etc. etc. all occupy far to much airtime that should be used reporting the actual news to us all. Celebrity lifestyles and "Dancing with the Stars" are all used as fillers and distractions on the news networks as well as local news channels. I know the day Micheal was reported dead was the same day the Cap and Trade bill was being voted on in the House. But Fox NEWS wasn't saying a thing about it. It was non stop coverage of Micheal Jackson. Sorry, but between the two, I'd say a vote on major legislation should take precedent.

And that is my point. To much irrelevant news being reported while real news is being ignored. It is one of the biggest problems with our mainstream media. They are not a free media, and they are not investigative media agencies. They report what they are told to report. And that is why most people can tell you who won American Idol, but they haven't a clue what the Cap and Trade Bill is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 06:20 PM

315 posts, read 761,113 times
He wasn't the greatest person but he was the king of pop. I would say he has gotten too much coverage since I don't believe the media should focus on celebs like this but who am I. I doubt if the media networks wouold care about what I think since this coverage is bringing in major ratings because his millions of fans want to keep up with the latest details on his death. So in a way he really isn't getting too much coverage since the people are demanding more of him.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:02 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Yes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:05 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,485 times
I would guess the major networks know their audiences and are giving them what they want. There's always a morbid curiousity when a celebrity meets an untimely end. I think the networks are meeting the expectations of their audiences. Are the audiences a little twisted? Definitely!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,928,915 times
Without a doubt, MJ is getting far too much airtime, period. He's dead. Now we need to get on with the important stuff. But I guess they only air it to get ratings, so the real blame rests with the plebes who are suckling the MJ teat.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:11 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,440 times
I have mixed feelings about him. I grew up in the same era as he and we played his music (and the Jackson 5) around our house a lot. He was a tragedy unfolding in front of our eyes for decades.

I honestly think the much lauded Thriller was the beginning of a slow burn-out for him. Which has happened with other mega-stars when they turn the corner to super-stardom. I really have a huge problem with him having believed that it's OK to sleep (and likely more) with other peoples' kids (or any kids). But as far as the media stuff - yeah, enough already. I can't really be bothered to watch the news lately, because it's so saturated with crap about him.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:52 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,728,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I totally agree with you on this. With all that is going on in the world, Micheal Jackson's passing should be on the back burner. But then again, I feel this way about all celebrity news. I remember when I was younger the entertainment business was not something the real news reported about on a regular basis. But these days, you can't go five minutes without seeing some new star news. Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Kobe, Shaq, MJ, etc. etc. all occupy far to much airtime that should be used reporting the actual news to us all. Celebrity lifestyles and "Dancing with the Stars" are all used as fillers and distractions on the news networks as well as local news channels. I know the day Micheal was reported dead was the same day the Cap and Trade bill was being voted on in the House. But Fox NEWS wasn't saying a thing about it. It was non stop coverage of Micheal Jackson. Sorry, but between the two, I'd say a vote on major legislation should take precedent.

And that is my point. To much irrelevant news being reported while real news is being ignored. It is one of the biggest problems with our mainstream media. They are not a free media, and they are not investigative media agencies. They report what they are told to report. And that is why most people can tell you who won American Idol, but they haven't a clue what the Cap and Trade Bill is.
it's a scarry thought that people are looking up to these entertainers like they are gods!!! they are flesh and blood like all the rest of us and there is way more important events unfolding every day that get set on the back burner... i mean like if micheal jackson and tiger woods promote crysler and tell the people to go drive gas guzzlers the puplic will buy gas guzzlers it's all about the bottom line but it's scary!!!! where is this world heading hit a few base balls sing and dance a few songs play in a few flicks race a few cars make a few holes in one and get a lot of media atention and now the people look at u like a god!!! just look at some of the footage of the fans going crazy over michael jackson i mean like grown men screaming like teenage girls michael michael michael with tears coming from there eyes it's down right scarry in my book..

Old 07-03-2009, 08:58 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
MJ's passing is being treated as some kind of cataclysmic loss that the world will never recover from. It's way out of proportion. And I don't care to hear about the court battle for the kids either. Buzzards circling is all it amount to.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Yes, it was over-the-top coverage for a few days, but I also watched an all-day marathon of "Pitchmen" so I feel the same way about Billy Mays now. I haven't seen "Farrah's Story" yet. MJ's coverage will continue because he didn't just simply pass away ...he did it in a crazy way and left a big old mess behind that is going to play out for years.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Michael Jackson gave 300 million to various charities. Easily googled. Give credit where credit is due.

One more time.

300 million dollars given away does not fix the fact the guy was a pill popping little boy loving weirdo.

He had talent for sure, but his rights do not fix all the weird and goofy things he did.

Stop praising him for his good deeds until you understand all the bad things he did.

He popped more pills then Rush Limbaugh and Cindy McCain combined and liberals say nothing?

At least Rush and Cindy got addicted legally after a major surgery, MJ got addicted for all the wrong reasons.

Bury the man and lets get back to work on fixing the Obama's disaster economy.

* Loon channel are over covering this because they are trying to hide the terrible condition Obama has us in. If they talk about MJ all day then they think people will forget we loss 500,000 jobs last month, had record foreclosures thanks to his jobs losses, record bankruptcies and CNN and MSNBC want to talk praise a freak. Goodness the loons have their priorities all screwed up.

The hell with MJ, cover the real news.

Lets talk about the terrible Obama economy, jobs losses and Obama counting the illegals in his uninusured amounts of people in America.

See he wont say Americans, he always says people IN AMERICA meaning he wants us to pay for illegals healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities