Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:01 AM

723 posts, read 1,633,924 times

Advertisements

I'll see your MJ vid with a Fred & Ginger and I'll raise you a Gene Kelly

YouTube - Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers - Let Yourself Go

YouTube - Gene Kelly Summer Stock Dance

Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,829 times
YouTube - Michael Jackson - Billie Jean - The First Moonwalk King Of Pop - ( Motown 25th Anniversary 1983)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
Sorry to burst your dreams pal. MJ was marginal. Maybe slightly better than average, maybe not. I've heard both sides. Just go on and keep telling yourself all of those fairy tales over and over if you want. I think it's funny.
Lol no your thee funny one.lmao yes mj is slightly better than average? Do u really believe that? The video speaks for itself. Handle it its not fairy tale, its there for you to view you were proven wrong.

Greatness from day one observe and marvel
YouTube - Michael Jackson-I Got The Feelin 1968

From that too this
YouTube - Michael Jackson - Billie Jean - The First Moonwalk King Of Pop - ( Motown 25th Anniversary 1983)

Last edited by K.O.N.Y; 07-20-2009 at 02:17 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 11:34 AM

Perhaps the greatest dancing video ever

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal

Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,497 times
I've been avoiding this thread since it just seemed silly. A person's appeal is so subjective, but I need to pipe in now and basically say that I agree wholeheartedly with KONY. MJ was by far the best. We won't see another Micheal Jackson I don't think ever in our lifetime. The music industry isn't set up the way it used to be. It's all about marketability and not talent. But if you just look through some of those dancing videos, he was by far the best dancer ever, and in my opinion one of the greatest musical artists ever. I wish I could have seen him in concert, but alas I guess I'll have to wait for the "MJ movie" of the last rehearsal. RIP MJ!

Old 07-20-2009, 03:32 PM

723 posts, read 1,633,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I've been avoiding this thread since it just seemed silly. A person's appeal is so subjective, but I need to pipe in now and basically say that I agree wholeheartedly with KONY. MJ was by far the best. We won't see another Micheal Jackson I don't think ever in our lifetime. The music industry isn't set up the way it used to be. It's all about marketability and not talent. But if you just look through some of those dancing videos, he was by far the best dancer ever, and in my opinion one of the greatest musical artists ever. I wish I could have seen him in concert, but alas I guess I'll have to wait for the "MJ movie" of the last rehearsal. RIP MJ!
There it is folks! It's all over. No need for any futher discussion. It's been settled once and for all.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
I'll see your MJ vid with a Fred & Ginger and I'll raise you a Gene Kelly

YouTube - Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers - Let Yourself Go

YouTube - Gene Kelly Summer Stock Dance
Nice try, they were good dancers, but the thing is, just like with James Brown, every move they did MJ could do, and then some. And he was self-taught. That's what makes him great. Not that Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire weren't great themselves, but come on. Could you see them doing every move MJ did? I think not. Did you know that Fred Astaire himself complimented MJ on his dancing?

MJ played instruments. Mostly percussion, from what I've heard, drums and bongos when he was younger and I don't know what else. The info of which instruments he played can be found in his albums' liner notes. He had the hits, of course, but there are also other songs of his you should give a listen to. He composed music entirely in his head. His voice was by all accounts remarkable. He used his voice and body as an instrument by singing and dancing, and he was a mean beatboxer. And that doesn't even touch on MTV, the insane record sales, or the trendsetting stuff K.O.N.Y. mentioned earlier. Given all that and a career spanning some forty years, give or take some ups and downs, and I'd say he wins the Greatest Entertainer of All Time award easily.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,555 times
Default Which Century

Lets take this century by century.The premier entertainer of the 20th century just has to be Frank.Thats Frank,as in Sinatra.As for the 21st century,it is too soon to tell.Come back in 2100 and ask me again.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,146,555 times
I have to go with MJ! God bless.

YouTube - Michael Jackson's Dance Range

Old 07-25-2009, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,624 times
This was a great thread but I think the problem is people judging on 'preference' or 'favorite entertainer' as opposed to 'facts'. For all the folks who didn't much feel entertained by MJ, their point of view is valid and must be respected, he was not their preference. But then, there are facts, and as the previous posters who listed MJ's contributions, (not to mention that slap in the face vid of his dance range, lol) MJ, like it or not, will go down in history as the greatest entertainer of all time. While the others are great no doubt, he was the best and the facts back it up, unfortunately for some. That's just the way it is.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:13 AM

Just felt i had to share this awesome commercial

YouTube - i'll be there- jackson Vs jackson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities