Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,644,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
As a matter of fact, most musicians were drug addicts - it's was common norm back in the 60's-70's.
Yeeesss, and ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 07:24 AM

18,135 posts, read 11,791,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Yeeesss, and ?

??? Why single out one musician drug/alcohol usage .. was waiting for your further explanation or debate.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:30 AM

I am singling him out cuz that was what this whole thread is about.

Drugs in the 60's, 70's?? Yes, I know

Not all that "groovy" music was a product of heroin,and not all the musicians abused/neglected their kids though. By his own admission, John did.

Hey, I am no fan of Ms. phillips, but I dont have the contempt for someone who survived a childhood of abuse and I cant judge them their choices,even though I dont agree with it.

Both she and her Dad made drug induced choices which a normal person would never make,,they did however choose the drugs. After awhile I guess, the drug chose them and took over their lives

Old 12-18-2009, 07:33 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,577,247 times
Quote:
Her father is a prized musician.

QQ 4 U:
If all of this was true, why didn't she face this music while he was alive and press charges? Why smear his name now that he can not defend himself?

A thought just hit my mind that maybe she is afraid the record sales would continue so she took over by "The Latest Hits of The Momas and Papas"
Ok, first off the question was not directed at you. Not saying that in a snotty way, but I know you believe the allegations are false so I'm sure your perception of him has not changed.

However, DreamWeavin's post seems to indicate that she does believe she had an affair w/ her father? I'm not sure on that part, which is why I asked what she thought of her father.

As for your question, I don't know why she did not come forward sooner. I don't personally know her so I can only speculate. Obviously, no matter if this is true or not, she is one messed up individual.

If it IS true I think he is disgusting.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:36 AM

18,135 posts, read 11,791,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I am singling him out cuz that was what this whole thread is about.

Drugs in the 60's, 70's?? Yes, I know

Not all that "groovy" music was a product of heroin,and not all the musicians abused/neglected their kids though. By his own admission, John did.

Hey, I am no fan of Ms. phillips, but I dont have the contempt for someone who survived a childhood of abuse and I cant judge them their choices,even though I dont agree with it.

Both she and her Dad made drug induced choices which a normal person would never make,,they did however choose the drugs. After awhile I guess, the drug chose them and took over their lives

How do you know?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:36 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,911,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
she, in fact, got pregnant during her 10 years sexual affair with her father. Says she didn't know who the father of the baby was so she aborted and at that point stopped having sex with her own father.
She is such a piece of crap.
Are you OK?

Have you read the book? John Phillips wasn't exactly the Father of the Year. Have you read his book that he wrote himself? I read it when it was first published and he admits to many of the same things - lots of drug and alcohol abuse, absentee parenting.

There's no doubt he was an extremely talented man and when I was shopping at the supermarket on Wednesday they even were playing The Mamas and The Papas over the sound system. But a lot of his personal time was spent abusing drugs with friends and his multiple wives. He chose to do that, over and over again. He wrote about it in his book; his daughter wrote about it in her book.

Even if Mackenzie has written her book, I'm sure til the end of time there are people who are still going to be listening to The Mamas and The Papas. Look, they were playing one of their songs in a big name grocery store!

And yes, even my 81-year-old father still has all of his Mama and Papas albums. He's not going to arbitrarily throw them out because of Mackenzie's book.

I don't know if I agree with her that was what really happened. I don't know if I'll ever fully believe her. Still, it was a shocking, depressing book. I don't know what the solution should have been. It's just sad that adults (no matter who they were or how proficient they were at their work occupation) chose to have kids and bring them into a permissive, drug-infested world.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 12-18-2009 at 08:03 AM..

Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
How do you know?
You mean about John? He wrote a book and he was a heroin addict.
A heroin addict and good parent dont go hand in hand.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,192,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Are you OK?

Have you read the book? John Phillips wasn't exactly the Father of the Year. Have you read his book that he wrote himself? I read it when it was first published and he admits to many of the same things - lots of drug and alcohol abuse, absentee parenting.

There's no doubt he was an extremely talented man and when I was shopping at the supermarket on Wednesday they even were playing The Mamas and The Papas over the sound system. But a lot of his personal time was spent abusing drugs with friends and his multiple wives. He chose to do that, over and over again. He wrote about it in his book; his daughter wrote about it in her book.

Even if Mackenzie has written her book, I'm sure til the end of time there are people who are still going to be listening to The Mamas and The Papas. Look, they were playing one of their songs in a big name grocery store!

And yes, even my 81-year-old father still has all of his Mama and Papas albums. He's not going to arbitrarily throw them out because of Mackenzie's book.

I don't know if I agree with her that was what really happened. I don't know if I'll ever fully believe her. Still, it was a shocking, depressing book. I don't know what the solution should have been. It's just sad that adults (no matter who they were or how proficient they were at their work occupation) chose to have kids and bring them into a permissive, drug-infested world.
firstly--what do you mean when you ask if I'm ok? Isn't that sort of a personal affront? Am I not entitled to my opinion w/out being questioned about said opinion?
Secondly---I wouldn't read that book nor have that vile trash in my house.

No, I saw McKenzie on more than a few talk shows--mainly to see how varying she was in her stories.

I fail to see why you thought your post was valid to me. I still listen to the music of the Mamas & The Papas.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,192,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Just curious. What do you think of her father?
I think he was a talented musician before the heavy drugs took their toll.
I think he was a drug addict in the very worst way.
I also think,later he was a piece of slime ball crap. Same as his slime ball daughter.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,577,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I think he was a talented musician before the heavy drugs took their toll.
I think he was a drug addict in the very worst way.
I also think,later he was a piece of slime ball crap. Same as his slime ball daughter.
Ahhh ok. Thanks for clarifying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities