Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:18 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

ENGLEWOOD, N.J. (AP) -- Michael Jackson describes in graphic detail how his father made beating him "a ritual" in interview tapes recorded by his spritual adviser Rabbi Shmuley Boteach.

Jackson said his father made him get naked and would then put oil on him before hitting him with an electrical cord on his face and back. Jackson said it hurt so bad it was like he was "dying." He said he "hated" his father for that.

Michael Jackson: Dad Would Oil, Beat Him | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Entertainment News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
Well, back in the day people use to take whippings/beatings to another level and I totally understand where he is coming from. Many people of his father's generation believe the worse the beating (they didn't think of it as a beating either) the more they loved the kids. People who let their kids do whatever they wanted were viewed as spoiling the kid and not really loving them. Hugs and kisses was a no, no then. Flash forward to today and hugs, kisses, and child expression is big.

I don't know anyone who has had a perfect childhood and I think this is something Michael just didn't understand. It seems though he thought he might have been the only to have such an upbringing that involved that form of discipline. In one way or another we all have some kind of wound. People are suppose to mature and move on. It would have been interesting to see how he felt about his father closer to his death.

His father is getting a bad wrap. Much deserved but some of it is a bit out of hand. I'm sure he is a grieving parent at the end of the day.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
So Spiritual Advisors are now in the business of selling out those who confide in them in private? Geeze, Rabbi Shmuley - have you no shame? Wasn't stealing all the money from the Heal the Kids Foundation enough to hurt Michael - now this? Anything for money, right Rabbi?

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Money

Old 09-29-2009, 12:47 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Another poster said MJs father is getting a bad rap, no.
The interview with Martin Bashir, Jackson said the beatings were very bad,
but didn't get graphic, the man was abusive plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
ENGLEWOOD, N.J. (AP) -- Michael Jackson describes in graphic detail how his father made beating him "a ritual" in interview tapes recorded by his spritual adviser Rabbi Shmuley Boteach.

Jackson said his father made him get naked and would then put oil on him before hitting him with an electrical cord on his face and back. Jackson said it hurt so bad it was like he was "dying." He said he "hated" his father for that.

Michael Jackson: Dad Would Oil, Beat Him | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Entertainment News

Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
Yep. That "rabbi" is no man of God.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Well, back in the day people use to take whippings/beatings to another level and I totally understand where he is coming from. Many people of his father's generation believe the worse the beating (they didn't think of it as a beating either) the more they loved the kids. People who let their kids do whatever they wanted were viewed as spoiling the kid and not really loving them. Hugs and kisses was a no, no then. Flash forward to today and hugs, kisses, and child expression is big.

I don't know anyone who has had a perfect childhood and I think this is something Michael just didn't understand. It seems though he thought he might have been the only to have such an upbringing that involved that form of discipline. In one way or another we all have some kind of wound. People are suppose to mature and move on. It would have been interesting to see how he felt about his father closer to his death.

His father is getting a bad wrap. Much deserved but some of it is a bit out of hand. I'm sure he is a grieving parent at the end of the day.
Everything that Michael had/achieved in his lifetime was a direct result of the STERN upbringing that he had. I wonder, if you would have asked him... "Michael, would you happy to never have had all your fortune and fame and work in a carwash, to be able to go back and change the way your father treated you?"

My guess would have been .... um....."NO".

I will grant you that his dad was one tough cookie, but then so was A LOT of stage parents. You don't achieve greatness without discipline and sometimes discipline is a very, very hard lesson to learn.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-29-2009, 01:02 PM

In the end MJackson was broke and drug addicted.
Beatings don't create talent.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Yep. That "rabbi" is no man of God.
Agree, 100%
They'll spill their guts to make a buck.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
20yrsinbranson, your points are what I am saying too.

Virgode, beatings do not create talent, discipline and respect do which can be a result of the beatings (I'm sure Joe Jackson did what he did out of love and learned behavior). I've known people that have been disciplined in the same fashion as MJ, heck I'm one of them. Now there is abuse and beatings/tough love which is a big difference. Some people like to twist it around. But I bet none of the Jackson kids disrespect their parents and call them names or will ever put them up in a nursing home, because they respect them. I wish everyone could take parenting classes before they actually have kids but it is not something many people do.

Yes Michael ended up using drugs and was broke but that had nothing to do with his parents. It had everything to do with his poor decision making as an adult. If it weren't for his father MJ wouldn't have the legacy of his music left behind for us to enjoy nor would he had been able to leave his kids or the charities anything.

Not saying what Joe did was right. But I understand his generation.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:34 PM

Whos to say he wouldn't have been a success without the beatings?
Thats assuming. I agree with teaching a work ethic, but come on.
Janet has been extremely successful but was much younger and didn't endure the same.
The other siblings from the Jackson 5 days endured the same as MJ, none have been successful.

Last edited by virgode; 09-29-2009 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: typing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities