Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,491,621 times

Advertisements

We all see the stars everyday on TV, in films, in concerts etc etc, but I have never really understood how they can live the way they do. Meaning L.A. is very expensive place to live. I am struggling to come up with enough to live there in a tiny studio! I don't get how some of them can afford these mansions in Malibu and BH. I really don't see how they can generate enough income to afford $30,000. a month on a mortgage...or come up with 20Mil cash to buy a house...then afford all the upkeep etc etc.
I can understand people like Pitt, Depp, and those guys, but Gary Busey owns a home in Malibu on the ocean, I just don't get how some of these celebs can actually take in that kind of cash.
I know it's silly but it's something I never quite understood. It's like their everyday life is most people's dream life. It's not fair! Haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,333,865 times
It does seem that a whole lot of celebrities/entertainers make entirely more money than their talent is worth. Then, to add insult to injury, they have all these personal problems and are unhappy most of the time. They want to get famous, but then are depressed because photographers take their picture.
What a totally confused bunch of people they are.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,394,526 times
Even old celebrities who don't work much any more (such as Gary Busey) can still have an income stream from royalties and investment of previous income. On average you can take about 4% of an investment portfolio every year without substantially depleting it. If an actor has squirreled away $25 million in investments, that's $1 million a year they can draw down and spend how they please without much fear that they'll ever run out of money.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:23 PM

11,156 posts, read 29,388,363 times
royalties all they have to do is show a old movie ot tv show with them in it and they get paid

Old 10-25-2009, 09:09 AM

371 posts, read 1,261,533 times
I think to myself " If I could write them asking for just, let's say, 20k for a house downpayment, it'd be NOTHING to them, but EVERYTHING to me." They wouldn't even miss it! Amazing. Odd how there are people who drive these run down, barely running cars to a job that won't help much, but these stars rent 12k a night resort suites. Backwards....One night for them would buy someone else an awsome used car...

Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 AM

282 posts, read 527,199 times
Why do you want to live there?

Old 10-25-2009, 01:13 PM

11,156 posts, read 29,388,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
I think to myself " If I could write them asking for just, let's say, 20k for a house downpayment, it'd be NOTHING to them, but EVERYTHING to me." They wouldn't even miss it! Amazing. Odd how there are people who drive these run down, barely running cars to a job that won't help much, but these stars rent 12k a night resort suites. Backwards....One night for them would buy someone else an awsome used car...
you could do that to go to an acting school work your butt of and hope and prey you get a break you see like the 1% who make it most actors are broke and work two jobs till they get their big break and sometime they never make it. really if you want to have a nice car and get a nice house go to school work you butt off and after years of hard work you too could be having nice things but not without the hard work and scarifice to get it.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:12 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,488,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
Why would you ask a complete stranger for money for a car or a home or anything else??? It doesn't matter that they have the money to spare; it's their money. Many celebrities (probably most) give a large portion of their money to charities and are probably also helping less-fortunate family members.

The entertainment field is a very hard one to break in to. All those so-called "overnight success" stories you hear probably took a good 10-15 years to get where they are.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,703,389 times
I hear many of them rent their homes they are in. Also they need huge houses because they need a place where they can roam free. I mean, everytime they go out they are hounded by media and fans. It must bea real chore to be famous. That is why I am never surprised when one of these celebs takes a swing at someone. If people were constantly bothering me I wouldnt be able to take it.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,491,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
Why do you want to live there?
90% weather and entertainment. Other 10% because I write and direct short films and would like to do it someday for a living.
Also, just need a change. I have traveled all the U.S. and I felt most at home in SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities