Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:28 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see the tv movie based on her life? It was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Did anyone see the tv movie based on her life? It was great.
"What's Love Got To Do With It?"---is that the one,GloryB?

If so, yes, unfortunately I did see that one. I was married once to someone almost as abusive as jackass Ike and that movie disturbed me on so many levels. However I think Ike took the abusive to a degree I didn't know could exist in a human....he deserved to go like in the movie "Sleeping With The Enemy"-another wife beater flick.......I love the scene where she calls 911 as she is pointing the gun at the jerk and says "Come quick, I've just killed an intruder!" Then proceeds to blow him away. How Tina (and I) survived so much is a miracle.
Tina is awesome to me.

Last edited by Élan vital; 11-10-2009 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Sing it Woman!

YouTube - Tina Turner Simply The Best Live 1990

Holy cow, I'd kill myself if I tried to dance in heels like that! As said, I hope & pray when I grow up to be 70 years old, I have half the life-force she does!

Beyonce's been schooled ~

Old 11-11-2009, 01:00 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
I agree with everyone. She looks fabulous and I can only wish I looked half that good at 70

DreamWeavin, sorry to hear about your situation but so glad you got out of it

Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Being rep-jailed, I must resort to another TT video...For you, Dream... And BTW, that movie scene you mentioned - "LOVED IT!!!"

YouTube - Tina Turner - Proud Mary (Barcelona 1990)

Old 11-11-2009, 03:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
I saw the movie. My sister and loved dancing to Proud Mary. Here's one of my favorites. Great exercise song. She must have written with Ike in mind.
Better Be Good to Me.

YouTube - Tina Turner - Better be good to me

Old 11-13-2009, 06:15 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
She's great - she looks great, still has her great singing voice, and she has a great attitude towards life. Hasn't she been a practicing Buddhist for several decades? Seems so. That may have something to do with her positive outlook.
Nichiren Shoshu is what she was involved in, at least in the '90's. Not regular Buddhism - it's a big sect in Japan & rivals the political influence of the Shintos.

"The singer Tina Turner is one of its most high profile followers. In the 1993 movie What's Love Got to Do with It, an autobiographical film about Turner's rise to stardom and her relationship with her abusive husband, she chanted the Buddhist Nam Myoho Renge Kyo mantra." - http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi...chiren_1.shtml

I was a short term convert to N.S. -I stopped because the main conviction is to chant a long litany in Japanese 2x daily, minimum. The chanting sounds cool - especially in huge groups - but I'm not one to enjoy religious routines.

The people who are the best adherents to that practice are people who are extremely self disciplined - which is certainly an attribute Tina possesses. After observing the people who advocated my conversion, I've come to believe they would have exactly the same lifestyle even if they didn't belong to that "religion".

Nichiren Shoshu members chant for their wishes to come true - the path of enlightenment. The married couple who "sponsored" my membership in N.S. both have the same astrological planetary designations for "wealth" - which is very rare & especially coupled together... They're both highly degreed professionals & together earn the higher end of a six figure income, possibly 7 figure. The husband is still a N.S. leader - I've seen mention of it online.

They went from living in a nice neighborhood in Torrance, to living in Ojai in the mid '90's. I'd say they were simply dedicated people who have a little superstition about their success.

I love Tina - it doesn't matter to me what her religion is. She'd be the same sweet, dedicated person she was meant to be, no matter what the denomination.

Nice thought that her beautiful personality could be connected to Buddhism. She's certainly a tribute to the belief system. Nichiren is one of several Buddhas.

Nichiren Shōshū - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 11-13-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 11-13-2009, 04:18 PM

Thank you, sarahkate. Your post is very interesting and brought up some memories. So long ago, when I lived on the east coast, I was invited to attend prayer ceremonies. I don't know if that's the correct terminology. There is a large group on the east coast, specifically NY, which included Richard Gere at the time. In fact, when reading your post, I tried to recall the chant and see how much I remember of it. I don't think I will ever forget that mantra.

I think we may get shut down here if we veer off into religious practices vs. superstition. But it's a very interesting subject.

Tina's a hard person to not admire and love. I tend to agree with you, that she'd be the same sweet, highly disciplined person she was meant to be, whatever her denomination. But if she believes that her life was profoundly and positively affected by her religious beliefs, that's OK by me.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post

Holy cow, I'd kill myself if I tried to dance in heels like that! As said, I hope & pray when I grow up to be 70 years old, I have half the life-force she does!

Beyonce's been schooled ~
I remember when Beyonce did Proud Mary next to Tina...she couldn't even swing her hips on beat. I was shaking my head thinking "this poor child should have paid attention in rehearsal"

Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 AM

314 posts, read 1,182,633 times
I get the impression that she's a really nice person. And yes...fabulous looking with tons and tons of charisma to go along with all her talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities