Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 07:06 PM

216 posts, read 698,254 times

Advertisements

i cancelled the contract. its sitting in my kitchen drawer. i'm looking for a very cheap prepaid situation. i'll only use the phone if i break down in my car...

back in the day, i had verizon prepaid, i could buy a card for 30$ and as long as i used it in 90 days, it was all cool...about 10 dollars a month

my question is, can i turn my existing verizon phone into a prepaid by just buying a card at the store and turning it into a prepaid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Very few verizon phones accept a sim card. They use cdma networkd, not gsm. If the phone is listed as a "world phone" it should take a sim card, but you'll need to get the phone unlocked for it to work. But anyhow, I've seen tracphones for about $10; just buy one of those.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:21 PM

216 posts, read 698,254 times
thanx

Old 06-20-2010, 09:53 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Verizon and Sprint are CDMA network 100% in the USA they DO NOT use SIM Cards.....the World phones like Blackberrys and WM phones only use the GSM when overseas...the SIM cards are meaningless for the CDMA network in states or N America for that matter...

Now you can unlock the World Phones and use them on ATT and TMOBILEs GSM networks in the states but you will only get Edge data NO 3G because the phones dont have the radio bands for it.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:38 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiemack View Post
i cancelled the contract. its sitting in my kitchen drawer. i'm looking for a very cheap prepaid situation. i'll only use the phone if i break down in my car...

back in the day, i had verizon prepaid, i could buy a card for 30$ and as long as i used it in 90 days, it was all cool...about 10 dollars a month

my question is, can i turn my existing verizon phone into a prepaid by just buying a card at the store and turning it into a prepaid?
It depends on what phone you have. Some of Verizon's contract phones can be turned into Verizon prepaid phones. The easiest way to find out is take it to a Verizon store and ask them. This week I will be cancelling my Verizon contract and switching my husband's phone into a prepaid. Since I rarely leave town, I don't need a cell phone since I'm never more than 1/8 mile away from an available phone to call for help. My husband on the other hand drives 130 miles a day to and from work and most if it is through the country, so he needs it more than I do.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:18 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Verizon and Sprint are CDMA network 100% in the USA they DO NOT use SIM Cards.....the World phones like Blackberrys and WM phones only use the GSM when overseas...
they can be unlocked and used on CDMA and GSM in the states; when you put the sim card in (at&t, t-mobile, whoever) you can select which network you want to be on.

you can keep a prepaid sim inside the phone in case you're in one of those rare spots that only has GSM coverage and switch over to another network.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Verizon and Sprint are CDMA network 100% in the USA they DO NOT use SIM Cards.....the World phones like Blackberrys and WM phones only use the GSM when overseas...the SIM cards are meaningless for the CDMA network in states or N America for that matter...

Now you can unlock the World Phones and use them on ATT and TMOBILEs GSM networks in the states but you will only get Edge data NO 3G because the phones dont have the radio bands for it.
You are partially right. GSM is NOT in all overseas markets. Some DO use CDMA and some use others which are not CDMA or GSM.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
It depends on what phone you have. Some of Verizon's contract phones can be turned into Verizon prepaid phones. The easiest way to find out is take it to a Verizon store and ask them. This week I will be cancelling my Verizon contract and switching my husband's phone into a prepaid. Since I rarely leave town, I don't need a cell phone since I'm never more than 1/8 mile away from an available phone to call for help. My husband on the other hand drives 130 miles a day to and from work and most if it is through the country, so he needs it more than I do.
You are correct. You just have to bring it to a Verizon store and most likely they will be able to convert it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones