Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts

Advertisements

I think the Newton was really just a product ahead of its time. I had a teacher in school who had one, and I always thought it was a nifty project that was unfairly maligned. And then a few years later Palm came out, and it was just a warmed-over Newton.

I switched to Mac about a year ago, and have slowly converted my family. My iBook (I bought it about a month before the Macbooks came out - woops!) is just delightful.

I have to agree about the availability. When I got my first iPod in 2003, they weren't exactly impossible to find, but they certainly weren't everywhere. Yesterday I saw a huge display of every flavor, color and size of iPod at Costco of all places. Steve Jobs has said that pretty soon, everyone who wants an iPhone will be able to get one.

Here's a small thing that I think is really neat about how they are trying to change the whole cell experience - when you buy the iPhone, you take it home, plug it in to your computer, and THEN buy a cell plan. So no pushy sales staff, just you and your computer and your iPhone. I really like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 06:53 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
the iphone has two huge strikes going against it: forced to use at&t "service" and it's not 3G capable.
I'll stick to laughing at the people who don't research a product and have to have the latest and (usually not) greatest..

on a sorta related note (and to avoid starting another thread), has anyone tried the new Tripod service from time-warner? I've had Sprint since there was Sprint (San Diego Pioneer plan member), but would like the multimedia service that Pivot offers. It would end up being about $150 for a family of four though, so it would be nice to see if it's really worth it. Would also be nice to talk to someone that actually uses it as the people at TWC selling the service don't seem to know anything about it..

Old 06-29-2007, 08:58 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,553,693 times
Cool knew I shoulda got a job at the Apple store!

Just read on engadget that Jobs announced yesterday that they were giving all Apple employees an 8gig iPhone! It said both full-time and temp (with 1 year service) employees. Wasn't specific if it meant retail, also, but sounded like it. Nice bennie!!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:35 AM

That was a very generous thing of him to do. I can't ever imagine my company even coming close to something like that

Old 06-30-2007, 03:12 AM

10 posts, read 28,037 times
Why would you want an iPhone anyway? I have a sony ericsson 'walkman' phone that has a better camera, just as much memory, it's made by sony!, smaller and lighter, it is cheaper and you can put anything on it (mp3s) not just itunes.

I think apple have missed the boat by about 2 years on this one.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:16 AM

562 posts, read 659,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10gear View Post
Since the iphone is coming out tomorrow, I was wondering if anyone is planning on camping out or at least contemplating buying one.
I wish it were more compatible in the area of networks. The new Nokia blows it away in that arena. As far as looks, I love it.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:24 AM

562 posts, read 659,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
If the phones worked on multiple services with all the features intact, I would consider it. But for now, not me.
That's exactly what I am saying. All services, 3G etc......... The functions are cool, IF you can find a place to USE them. I think Wi-Fi hotspots should be free......... Must be the original mentality of the early computer days coming out in me. iPhone and other such devices would be great if you could go anywhere and use them ALL the time, not just when you could find a signal.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 AM

370 posts, read 882,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10gear View Post
Since the iphone is coming out tomorrow, I was wondering if anyone is planning on camping out or at least contemplating buying one.
Not me.
Gen

Old 06-30-2007, 11:47 AM

so did anyone buy one? I'm sensing a playstaion 3 type flop is in the making.. my theory is all the people waiting in line were there to get it and sell it on e*bay, but the online market will quickly be flooded and soon it'll be sitting on shelves collecting dust and going for under market value online..
so next question is which phone will be the Wii?

Old 06-30-2007, 04:25 PM

48 posts, read 169,087 times
I went to the Apple store last night around 8pm and had a chance to play around with the iphone. It was pretty cool, very thin and sleek. There was good amount of people there, but there was virtually no waiting to buy one. Although I was very tempted to get one, I chose to wait.

According to the reviews, the new beefed up edge network seems to be doing a pretty good job of supporting the iphone functionality. But only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones