Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 PM

61,688 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Who would not agree with the statement that easy-to-use gadgets in the hands of field officers would make cell phone searches the rule, rather the exception.
What kinds of supervision there is over their use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Who would not agree with the statement that easy-to-use gadgets in the hands of field officers would make cell phone searches the rule, rather the exception.
Do lockpicks make home searches the rule rather than the exception?

Do helicopters make covert surveillance the rule rather than the exception?

Do guns make deadly force the rule rather than the exception?

Let me put it this way: CALEA has been around a LOT longer than this tool. Almost 20 years now, in fact. CALEA can be used to retrieve your cell phone's real-time location, monitor your inbound and outbound calls, intercept all your text messages, log all your web surfing, you name it.

If anything changed your ability to enforce your rights, CALEA did far more than a cell phone snooper. While you're entitled to your opinion, you might want to consider some perspective.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
As computer-like smart phones become the norm I wouldn't be surprised if security firms don't find a way to fully encrypt cellular devices with biometric fingerprint log-in. Just imagine if you were a top exec for an aerospace/defense/tech firm traveling to China. They wouldn't even have to detain you in immigrations; just borrow your phone for a few seconds to steal all your data!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:04 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
As computer-like smart phones become the norm I wouldn't be surprised if security firms don't find a way to fully encrypt cellular devices with biometric fingerprint log-in.
I'm sure that's coming down the road. Hopefully sooner than later. For many of us, our cell phones are an integral part of our lives. They're a central nexus of our contacts, whereabouts, and interests.

However, we are heading towards a point where even a strong, 35-character password consisting of random letters, numbers, and symbols will be breakable within days -- if not hours. A simple desktop PC with a $100 graphics card can crack a 7-character password within 17 minutes. That works out to about 3.3 billion passwords per second. A high-end gaming PC -- somewhere around the $4000 range, featuring quad high-end graphics cards and a boatload of memory -- would be much, much faster. The time-to-crack goes up exponentially as the password length grows, but what happens when you have a distributed network of 1000 $4000 high-end workstations chewing on your password?

Suddenly a fingerprint, even if it roughly translates into, say, a 256-character password, isn't reliable.

In relation to wireless devices, we're going to need some major innovations in security now that we're carrying around our lives in our pockets. I'm not concerned about improper use by law enforcement, I'm concerned about the bored thief who steals my Thunderbolt.

A brief read on the power of the GPU in security applications - http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2386439,00.asp (broken link)

Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
In relation to wireless devices, we're going to need some major innovations in security now that we're carrying around our lives in our pockets. I'm not concerned about improper use by law enforcement, I'm concerned about the bored thief who steals my Thunderbolt.
There's an app for that. Well, multiple apps:

Clear data from a lost/stolen cell phone

Old 06-17-2011, 08:17 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
BTW, the solution to the OP's concerns is to not use a smart phone. If the phone you use doesn't connect to the Internet, send email, send text, then there's no reason to be concerned about that evil cop that's looking to destroy your life for the heck of it.

Law enforcement can come look at all the data on my phone any time they want to. With nothing to hide there is no reason to be worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones