Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,968,050 times

Advertisements

I currently have a cell phone with Verizon Wireless. Actually, I broke my phone (completely smashed it) a couple days ago, so now I need to get a new one and am considering getting a smartphone.

My questions actually are two-fold...I have contract questions and smartphone technology questions. If anyone is willing to school me on this topic, I would really appreciate it.

Here goes:

I have a Verizon Wireless talk & text family plan (my phone, plus 2 other lines).

My contract expires in December 2011 (signed up December 2009), however I am eligible for an upgrade now (with additionally discounted upgrade if I wait until August 2011).

If I upgrade MY phone, I have to sign a new 2-year contract in order to get the discount on the phone. Will that effect the upgrade date of the 2 other lines on my account? In other words, will those 2 phones have to start from scratch, or will they still qualify for a discounted upgrade in August 2011 or the "new every 2" in December 2011? Or will those 2 phones have to wait until 2013 because I upgraded MY phone and signed a new contract?

Also, if I get a smartphone, I know I have to sign up for an additional data package. It's $29.99. That means $29.99 just on MY, one, smartphone, right? If the 2 other lines on my account were to ever upgrade to a smartphone, I would have to shell out an additional $29.99 X 2?

What does "3G" and "4G" mean? I know that means the phone is a smartphone. But what does that mean?

I saw in the "Verizon Users bend over" thread about how Verizon's $29.99 data plan will go from "unlimited" to "2 GBs, $10 for every 1 GB if you go over". And this will be effective July 7, 2011. First of all, does that mean if I sign up for smartphone before July 7, 2011, I will be grandfathered into the "unlimited" data useage plan? Second of all, what does "2 GB" mean, logistically? I know it's 2 gigabytes. Is this referring to what you download on to the phone? How does this relate to general web browsing on the phone? Checking email, Googling, etc. etc.? I've never used a smartphone before.

I hope this post makes sense. I know I must sound like a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Oh, and can I do all the new contract and buying a new phone and phone activation stuff online via My Verizon Online? Or, do I have to go to a Verizon store?

Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
What does "3G" and "4G" mean? I know that means the phone is a smartphone. But what does that mean?
Refers to basically the data speeds you get on the phone.

If it takes a webpage 10 seconds to load on your phone through 3G it will probably take 2 seconds on 4g.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,709,414 times
3G = third generation network
4G = forth generation network

Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Smartphones are a complete pain in the a$$, have an annoying learning curve, will make you crazy when all you want to do is make a phone call, will tempt you many times to throw it across the room, but after 6 months you will find yourself unable to live without it. Enjoy.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I recently got the Droid X2 and love it, though I had to trade it in after two weeks due to some Hardware failures. You can do it all online, but I found that my online purchase was an older version than the store replacement two weeks later (application versions and dates).

Yes, it requires the minimum $29.99 data plan, and that goes up in July so act quick. No, it has no effect on the other phones. We have that plan too, and each phone has it's own contract/upgrade date. All may be the same if you started them all at once, and upgraded all at the same time, however.

When within range of a wi-fi spot, it's faster than when depending on 3G. The 4G has very limited service areas, most places you pay for the 4G but still get 3G speed.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Considering your admitted level of expertise I would recommend you go to a Verizon store to get your new phone.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,924,320 times
Quote:
If I upgrade MY phone, I have to sign a new 2-year contract in order to get the discount on the phone. Will that effect the upgrade date of the 2 other lines on my account?
Nope. Only the line that gets upgraded is affected. The other contract dates remain the same. However:

Quote:
In other words, will those 2 phones have to start from scratch, or will they still qualify for a discounted upgrade in August 2011 or the "new every 2" in December 2011?
New Every Two only applies to lines on plans $35 / mo and higher. This means it only applies to the first two lines of a family plan (your third line is only $9.99 / mo). GENERALLY SPEAKING, you will be able to talk a store into covering all three of your lines under NE2 if you do all three in a store at the same time. However, this goes against the letter of the policy, so don't rely on it.

Quote:
Also, if I get a smartphone, I know I have to sign up for an additional data package. It's $29.99. That means $29.99 just on MY, one, smartphone, right? If the 2 other lines on my account were to ever upgrade to a smartphone, I would have to shell out an additional $29.99 X 2?
Yes. The $29.99 is per line, and is applied to each phone number with a smartphone. As someone else pointed up, the rates are "going up" (in reality, the $30 / mo smartphone plan will only give you 2GB instead of the current unlimited data) July 8, so you'll want to move quickly.

Quote:
Put very simply, it refers to the speed of your device on the network. 3G is typically 2-3Mb/s, while my 4G Thunderbolt frequently gets 20-30Mb/s. Your mileage will vary depending on factors such as coverage and how you use the phone (for example, does it REALLY matter if your 5k Foursquare check-in completes in 3/10ths of a second instead of one second?).

There's a bit more to it than that, but from a consumer standpoint, that's really the major difference. 4G coverage is also very limited compared to 3G right now, so you'll want to consult a coverage map to see if 4G is deployed in areas where you use your phone. If not, your phone will revert to 3G once it leaves the 4G area.

Quote:
First of all, does that mean if I sign up for smartphone before July 7, 2011, I will be grandfathered into the "unlimited" data useage plan?
Most likely, yes. If Verizon doesn't grandfather in their customers, they will be forcing a material change in service terms, which would allow any contract customer to terminate their contract without penalty. If you sign up now, you'll still be within your no-penalty return period when that change hits.

Quote:
Second of all, what does "2 GB" mean, logistically? I know it's 2 gigabytes. Is this referring to what you download on to the phone? How does this relate to general web browsing on the phone? Checking email, Googling, etc. etc.? I've never used a smartphone before.
That's exactly what it means. As for how much you use, that's hard to say. In most of the "AT&T vs Verizon" threads, AT&T "enthusiasts" swear up and down that no normal person ever uses more than 2GB -- though that may be because AT&T was the first to cap users at 2GB.

You'll be able to view your data usage either online or from your phone (dial #DATA, a free call). I personally use about 5GB - 6GB every month. My usage is probably a little higher than most because I tether my smartphone and use it as a wireless modem.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Smartphones are a complete pain in the a$$, have an annoying learning curve, will make you crazy when all you want to do is make a phone call, will tempt you many times to throw it across the room, but after 6 months you will find yourself unable to live without it. Enjoy.
Bwahahahaha. You sound like a kindred spirit.

I am definitely NOT an early adopter with any kind of technology...but once I get on board, I'm like a crack addict.

Verizon owns my soul already. If I join the smartphone army there will be no going back, I'm sure.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Considering your admitted level of expertise I would recommend you go to a Verizon store to get your new phone.
Yeah, haha. I agree with you. I'm gonna scope out some Verizon stores soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones