Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 02:58 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

..so what are my best options?

i haven't really had any complaints with the b-berry [8330 curve]; i've used the heck out of it for internet browsing, enough to wear out 3 trackballs so far. the sprint plan is ok, especially price-wise, but i've been far from impressed with the speed i'm getting.

just looking for some opinions on phone and plan options, i guess. i live in the maryland suburbs of DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Sprint is getting the IPhone 5 in Mid October. They are the only company that will keep the unlimited data as of right now. So if you use a lot of data, you may want to consider sticking with Sprint.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
..so what are my best options?
Well ... what do you want to do?

Are you happy or unhappy with Sprint? How about their coverage? How about their data speeds?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,636 times
You know they, Sprint, just got the new Blackberry 9930 right??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 09-12-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Sprint is getting the IPhone 5 in Mid October. They are the only company that will keep the unlimited data as of right now. So if you use a lot of data, you may want to consider sticking with Sprint.
i do use quite a bit of data, even at sprint's not-so-sprintlike speeds.
any idea how much the iphone 5 will cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Well ... what do you want to do?

Are you happy or unhappy with Sprint? How about their coverage? How about their data speeds?
the coverage is fine; the speeds, as i already mentioned, haven't impressed me much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
You know they, Sprint, just got the new Blackberry 9930 right??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
mmm, no, i didn't. do you have one?
the screen looks a little bigger and i do like the blackberry keyboard.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
i do use quite a bit of data, even at sprint's not-so-sprintlike speeds. any idea how much the iphone 5 will cost?
The first thing you should do is check your data usage online. That will give you an idea of exactly what your cost difference (if any) will be if you go to another carrier. Otherwise, your only option is "buy another Sprint phone".

Old 09-13-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
The first thing you should do is check your data usage online. That will give you an idea of exactly what your cost difference (if any) will be if you go to another carrier. Otherwise, your only option is "buy another Sprint phone".
that's a good idea, i hadn't bothered to do that for a while.

it looks like my average monthly usage over the past year is about 450 MB/month, with a high of about 850 and a low around 200.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
that's a good idea, i hadn't bothered to do that for a while.

it looks like my average monthly usage over the past year is about 450 MB/month, with a high of about 850 and a low around 200.
With all the other carriers having 2GB or 5GB caps, it's looking like you have pretty much all options open.

The first thing I would suggest is going into a real Verizon / AT&T / Sprint / T-Mobile store where they have live devices that you can play with. Pick up a phone that's in your budget. Don't worry about the brand or the specifics right now; just play with it. Browse a few websites. Watch a video or two. Go to the app market and install something free that you might use, like an RSS reader or a game. Open up the messaging function. Navigate the menus. Turn on WiFi. Turn on Bluetooth. Make a phone call.

Try these on a few different phones. Try the iPhone, try a few Androids, try a few new Blackberrys, try a Windows Phone 7. The object here is to see how each phone's quirks (because they ALL have quirks, no matter what the respective fanboys say) impacts you.

Pay attention to the speed differences between carriers. Verizon's LTE is hands-down the fastest network on the market right now, but if a phone's software is poor or bloated, none of that matters.

The object is to find a phone that works for you and that you think you'll like spending the next two years with. I personally like HTC Android devices; YMMV.

Once you get that picked out, check the price on Amazon or Wirefly. Generally they will be much, much cheaper -- often by several hundred dollars.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
I say stick with Sprint and the unlimited plan. It just can't be beat. After getting an ipod as a gift, I was craving an iphone so bad I nearly broke my contract and switched companies. Then my old school samsung phone died on me and I was desperate so ended up sticking with Spring and getting an Evo for less than 30 bucks. After swerving recklessly around it's learning curve I think it's a great phone with some pretty cool apps, outside of the ridiculous battery usage. If you are a fanboi, Rumor has it Sprint will end up with an iphone this fall but don't hold me to that

Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
I would think that a Sprint 4G phone probably would have better data speeds than your Blackberry 8330. I don't think the Blackberry Bold 9930 (which is a device I have interest in getting as a second device to complement my DROID 2 - I'm on Verizon) is 4G on Sprint; I'm pretty sure it is 3G.

As was noted above, if you are using less than 1 GB a month (which is common for the majority of smartphone users out there, I think), any of the carriers' lowest "regular" data plans are sufficient for your needs; unlimited data isn't absolutely necessary (well, maybe not until Sprint rolls out 4G LTE on a widespread basis - which won't be for at least a couple years probably - and you start streaming video more often; Sprint's current "4G" is WiMAX, which from what I've read is a lot slower than 4G LTE).

If you want to get a 4G phone on Sprint, I think your options are currently limited to Android system phones. (I'm almost definite none of the Windows 7 or Blackberry phones on the carrier will be 4G, and the just-announced iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 also will not be 4G.) The phone everyone is talking about right now is the Samsung Galaxy S II, which was just released. (That phone is also on or will soon be on AT&T and T-Mobile.) Sprint has a few other well-regarded 4G phones.

If having a physical keyboard is a must, Sprint has a few good options. I think there are at least a couple of physical QWERTY keyboard Android phones (and maybe one or more that are 4G; I'm not sure). There is a very nice Windows 7 phone with a physical keyboard (can't remember the name) that I wish was on Verizon. (I'm also looking at Windows 7 phones as a potential second smartphone.) Finally, obviously there are various Blackberries, most notably the recently-released, aforementioned Blackberry Bold 9930.

Finally, I echo the comments by DowntownHarrisburg (which is where I used to work and near where I used to live!) about going to a carrier-owned store (i.e. not one of their premium retailer stores) to check out the phones. I live in downtown Silver Spring, and just last Saturday I went to the AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile stores in downtown Silver Spring to check out their phones and plans. (It's somewhat ironic that the only one of the "Big Four" carriers to not have a 1st party store in Silver Spring is Verizon, which is my carrier.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones